Purely on a basic user viewpoint, upgrade to a DSi?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Supacasey, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Supacasey
    OP

Newcomer Supacasey Newbie

United States
    Like so many other users I'm debating on upgrading to a DSi. But I'm trying to make my decision based on its features, not worrying so much about its flashcart capabilities. I'm still using a DS original, and it's been more dependable than my Honda. Got it the day the DS was released, and it's been through hardware hell, and it doesn't have so much as a dead pixel.

When the Lite was released, I wasn't even tempted. Brighter screen and thinner...? *Spins finger* Whippee. But the DSi is most certainly a different case, the new features are considerably impressive.

Now this is a homebrew forum, so of course I'm going to talk about it. I've read a lot of threads asking "Does *so and so* work on the DSi", "Is getting a DSi and an Acekard2i Worth it", bla bla bla, but frankly that's not a huge thing for me. We all know that flashcarts will be perfected on the DSi, it's just a matter of when. And frankly, as long as the Acekard can play DS games on the DSi (With no problems, though I haven't heard about any) I have no problem buying one to hold me over.

So, tl;dr version: DSi upgrade worth it from an original?

2. Frog

Member Frog GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    unless you regularly play gba games/use slot 2 i'd say yes.
    especially if your still using a phat ds.

3. halljames

Member halljames GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I too am wondering if I should upgrade.

I currentl have a Supercard DS One for my DS Lite, so I know I would either have to start buying games or get an Acekard 2i. I am worried that the aceKard would get blocked with a firmware upgrade, so I will probably wait until someone clarifies that device A will always work with the DSi, even if firmware upgrades occur.

4. G2K

Member G2K GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    UPGRADE! I sold my DS Phat a week ago to preorder the DSi, picked it up yesterday and it's AWESOME! Also, If you've ever found your hands cramping after playing a wihle, it's been *fixed* now by making the DSi longer. Plus the difference in screen size is bigger thn you'd think.

5. ConJ

Member ConJ The Toker

United Kingdom
    I would say yes, if you didnt get a lite. Unless you need the gba slot. Id buy a DSi, but my lite is working perfectly. Perhaps if my lite breaks, ill get a DSi. (Unless someone wants to buy me one for my birthday! hint, hint)

6. R3AKT

Newcomer R3AKT Member

Canada
    Well I've had mine for 2-3 days, and so far its been interesting. I used to have a DS lite and factoring out the flash cart aspect I'd say it is well worth it. Some people might say it is gimmicky but I think it is similar to the jump from GBA to SP in that the changes are minimal, yet the difference in overall experience is definitely noticeable. If your upgrading from the phat then by all means do so, and if from a lite then it all depends on the GBA slot.

7. G2K

Member G2K GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    From what I understand, the AceKard DOESN'T have an upgradeable kernel (core, as you call it).

8. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

yes you should upgrade