Hacking Purely on a basic user viewpoint, upgrade to a DSi?

Supacasey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like so many other users I'm debating on upgrading to a DSi. But I'm trying to make my decision based on its features, not worrying so much about its flashcart capabilities. I'm still using a DS original, and it's been more dependable than my Honda. Got it the day the DS was released, and it's been through hardware hell, and it doesn't have so much as a dead pixel.

When the Lite was released, I wasn't even tempted. Brighter screen and thinner...? *Spins finger* Whippee. But the DSi is most certainly a different case, the new features are considerably impressive.

Now this is a homebrew forum, so of course I'm going to talk about it. I've read a lot of threads asking "Does *so and so* work on the DSi", "Is getting a DSi and an Acekard2i Worth it", bla bla bla, but frankly that's not a huge thing for me. We all know that flashcarts will be perfected on the DSi, it's just a matter of when. And frankly, as long as the Acekard can play DS games on the DSi (With no problems, though I haven't heard about any) I have no problem buying one to hold me over.

So, tl;dr version: DSi upgrade worth it from an original?

halljames

Trophies
Website
www.hallstudios.co.uk
XP
Country
I too am wondering if I should upgrade.

I currentl have a Supercard DS One for my DS Lite, so I know I would either have to start buying games or get an Acekard 2i. I am worried that the aceKard would get blocked with a firmware upgrade, so I will probably wait until someone clarifies that device A will always work with the DSi, even if firmware upgrades occur.

G2K

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
UPGRADE! I sold my DS Phat a week ago to preorder the DSi, picked it up yesterday and it's AWESOME! Also, If you've ever found your hands cramping after playing a wihle, it's been *fixed* now by making the DSi longer. Plus the difference in screen size is bigger thn you'd think.

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
I would say yes, if you didnt get a lite. Unless you need the gba slot. Id buy a DSi, but my lite is working perfectly. Perhaps if my lite breaks, ill get a DSi. (Unless someone wants to buy me one for my birthday! hint, hint)

R3AKT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I've had mine for 2-3 days, and so far its been interesting. I used to have a DS lite and factoring out the flash cart aspect I'd say it is well worth it. Some people might say it is gimmicky but I think it is similar to the jump from GBA to SP in that the changes are minimal, yet the difference in overall experience is definitely noticeable. If your upgrading from the phat then by all means do so, and if from a lite then it all depends on the GBA slot.

G2K

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PharaohsVizier said:
halljames said:
I too am wondering if I should upgrade.

I currentl have a Supercard DS One for my DS Lite, so I know I would either have to start buying games or get an Acekard 2i. I am worried that the aceKard would get blocked with a firmware upgrade, so I will probably wait until someone clarifies that device A will always work with the DSi, even if firmware upgrades occur.

The AceKard 2i claims to have an upgradable core, which in theory would mean that it will most likely work forever (although there's really no guarantee of anything, even on the lite they could do something drastic). But the EZ Flash Vi I think is the first cart that has already put its upgradable core into action, having a few revisions already, although nothing necessary, it's nice to know that it works for sure.

I am *about* to get my DSi, but not quite yet. Probably in a few days or so...

From what I understand, the AceKard DOESN'T have an upgradeable kernel (core, as you call it).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)