Hacking Purchased brand new Vita 1002 model with 1.81 firmware, now what?

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
To verify the above photo, all those brand new PS Vita 1002 models that are on firmware 1.81 are useless because they have never been used, is that correct?

Incorrect.

They're still Vitas aren't they? ;-)

As in since none of them have ever been activated, they cannot be used for mods without upgrading the firmware to the most recent?

Incorrect.

Mods work on older firmwares - TN-X for near-perfect PS1 emulation up to 3.18, Rejuvenate for native user mode stuff up to 3.51, TN-V for PSP mode up to 3.55 (well, until that Chronicle game got pulled from PS Store).

If they can manually be updated to 3.18 firmware, then cannot download any games for the system not being activated?

I want to write Incorrect again, but I'd say more in this case you're looking at it wrongly.

As mentioned you would need a PS3, but any Vita game able to play on an older firmware or any PSP game can be manually pushed across using the CMA trick to avoid needing to update to 3.55 (currently most recent). With my cheaply acquired PS3 I've been able to download PSP/PS1/Vita games to my 3.18 Vita no issues transferring them via USB.

Activated means the system is tied to a playstation account?

Correct. Required for most of the better hacks/exploits/mods.

Seems such a waste to leave all those brand OLED vita's sitting in the clearance bin

It really does. I'd love one of those.

Last edited by zekepliskin,

pica200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Incorrect.

They're still Vitas aren't they? ;-)

Incorrect.

Mods work on older firmwares - TN-X for near-perfect PS1 emulation up to 3.18, Rejuvenate for native user mode stuff up to 3.51, TN-V for PSP mode up to 3.55 (well, until that Chronicle game got pulled from PS Store).

I want to write Incorrect again, but I'd say more in this case you're looking at it wrongly.

As mentioned you would need a PS3, but any Vita game able to play on an older firmware or any PSP game can be manually pushed across using the CMA trick to avoid needing to update to 3.55 (currently most recent). With my cheaply acquired PS3 I've been able to download PSP/PS1/Vita games to my 3.18 Vita no issues transferring them via USB.

Correct. Required for most of the better hacks/exploits/mods.

It really does. I'd love one of those.

In a nutshell,

If I were to go back and grab one of those vita's (again) from the clearance bin, cause once they are gone in the next week, I never find one brand new again for $149 (or $100 in US dollars).

Without a PS3 console, or login to my PSN account on the vita (not activated or whatever that is), can I simply just take out of the box at 1.18 and start using for mods, like in a short list without over complicating it?

Like said, I have a PSP3000 and a PSPGO, but those are poor quality compared to the vita build and screen. Hence happy enough to turn the vita into a dedicated high quality PSP machine.

btw. I also found a small stack of vita memory card that I pulled from the bin for dirt cheap, therefore I have plenty of space to work with, which are:
  • 1x 32GB
  • 3x 16GB
  • 2x 8GB
  • 1x 4GB

EDIT:

Just to add, I tried to get into the PS store on my current Vita 3G 1002 model, but had to accept a firmware update to go from 3.52 to 3.55. Once in the store I searched for Mimana Lyan Chronicle but I cannot get it in this region.

With that said, how the hell do I get into the store to get any game for something on a earlier firmware such as 1.81? Like said I have taken second vita back to store, but way I see it, is a safe guard if I cannot mod it, e.g. even if can update firmware, how the hell do I get a game to exploit it if I cannot access the store, and even then depends what is in this region.

I have a few retail games that are digital PSP though, only about 8-10 that came bundled with my PSP Go. Not sure if any of these are useful or not, I have all in the link below? If any are, then how do I get them without firmware update of the Vita when accessing the store?

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/01/buy-a-new-pspgo-and-get-10-free-games/

Last edited by pica200,

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
Without a PS3 console, or login to my PSN account on the vita (not activated or whatever that is), can I simply just take out of the box at 1.18 and start using for mods, like in a short list without over complicating it?

No, it needs to be registered to a PSN account and on a firmware version of 3.00 or above. So you're going to need to update it manually at the very least, and I've never seen an exploit that doesn't require a PSP game or similar, most often transferred across from a PS3. I actually bought a PS3 cheaply just to do Vita exploits, luckily there's been a few games I wanted so it was worth the purchase anyway (Tokyo Jungle and Deus Ex: Human Revolution [Director's Cut]).

Like said, I have a PSP3000 and a PSPGO, but those are poor quality compared to the vita build and screen. Hence happy enough to turn the vita into a dedicated high quality PSP machine.

Yep, the superior quality of the Vita makes even my PSP-3000 look like a toy by comparison. Especially the OLED screen on the Phat models. So with some good choices of exploits my Vita now does every single thing better than my PSPs ever did.

btw. I also found a small stack of vita memory card that I pulled from the bin for dirt cheap, therefore I have plenty of space to work with, which are:
  • 1x 32GB
  • 3x 16GB
  • 2x 8GB
  • 1x 4GB

Can you send me the 32GB one please, I need more space ;-)

pica200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
No, it needs to be registered to a PSN account and on a firmware version of 3.00 or above. So you're going to need to update it manually at the very least, and I've never seen an exploit that doesn't require a PSP game or similar, most often transferred across from a PS3. I actually bought a PS3 cheaply just to do Vita exploits, luckily there's been a few games I wanted so it was worth the purchase anyway (Tokyo Jungle and Deus Ex: Human Revolution [Director's Cut]).

Yep, the superior quality of the Vita makes even my PSP-3000 look like a toy by comparison. Especially the OLED screen on the Phat models. So with some good choices of exploits my Vita now does every single thing better than my PSPs ever did.

Can you send me the 32GB one please, I need more space ;-)

Sorry this is the only 32GB card I have ever owned, was hard to get, like everyone, didn't want to pay crazy price for so little storage.

I went back an grabbed it, as is about half price as the newer slim 2000 model. Brand new and sealed on 1.81. Although I did break the seal to check for defect and charge it, I haven't turned it on yet :)

Basically you are saying I have to have an account. I can logon to my existing account on the original firmware?
If so that can create account with original firmware, can I manually update to version such as 3.18 using my PC?
Once I have account and firmware at 3.18, then I will need a PS3 to avoid updating the Vita, and I have to buy a PSP game from there to be able to run a exploit?
Likely the only real issue is that firmware such as the latest 3.55 require a game I cannot buy in this region, I only have about 3 pages of games to choose from.

I am really holding out hope of a better way or something changing soon.

On a side note I have just collected a big bunch of new and used games for the system, I think the Vita is awesome. Not sure why I stopped playing it now. I think there are good selection of game to choose from on the Vita.

vitaother.jpg

Last edited by pica200,

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
Basically you are saying I have to have an account. I can logon to my existing account on the original firmware?

Yep if you have an existing account just enter the details on the Vita. You HAVE to do it when you do the initial setup for it to work and link to your account without needing to update, i.e. if you complete initial setup without putting in your PSN details you won't be able to link it and use the PS3 to activate/copy PSP games across, you'd have to reset and do it again.

If so that can create account with original firmware, can I manually update to version such as 3.18 using my PC?

Yep, I used QCMA to do this. Requires the update file and a special XML to tell QCMA about the update, allowing the Vita to find it when it's hooked up by USB. Both files can be found online if you scout about a bit.

Once I have account and firmware at 3.18, then I will need a PS3 to avoid updating the Vita, and I have to buy a PSP game from there to be able to run a exploit?

Correct. Going by the tutorials you don't specifically need an exploitable game like Numblast or Patapon 2 both of which used to work by loading an exploit savegame (I bought both), but you do need a PS3 to activate the Vita and transfer a PSP game or PSP demo across. For the PS1 exploit you need a PS1 game transferred by PS3, I used Tekken 2.

Likely the only real issue is that firmware such as the latest 3.55 require a game I cannot buy in this region, I only have about 3 pages of games to choose from.

See this tutorial. Basically you just need a PSP game, not a specifically exploitable one.

Also, you could try region spoofing and making a US PSN account. I haven't done this so you'd have to do some searching.

I am really holding out hope of a better way or something changing soon.

I'd say TN-V and TN-X aren't overly difficult. I made a half hour video tutorial, link in my signature. Rejuvenate is a pain though!

On a side note I have just collected a big bunch of new and used games for the system, I think the Vita is awesome. Not sure why I stopped playing it now. I think there are good selection of game to choose from on the Vita.

There are some great games on the Vita, the problem is that there aren't enough of them! Most of the ones I like came out in 2011/2012. After that it's a bit of a wasteland unless you love indie/JRPG stuff exclusively. And being able to run the entire PS1/PSP catalogue, emulate the SNES/Genesis/Gameboy Advance and so on expands what it can do. For me it's not perfect but it's as close to the ultimate handheld gaming machine as you can get. Touchscreen phones/tablets with no real physical keys look terrible by comparison.

pica200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I can't get hold of a cheap PS3, there is a brand new PS slim 500GB (last one remaining) at store I got the Vita from which is reduced to $167 in US dollars.

Noticed that I can buy Patapon 2 from my regions store. If I manually update the vita to 3.18 then I am good to go yea?

3.18 is the best firmware to be on right?

I don't really want to buy another PS3 console to transfer and activate, sold my PS3 a few months ago. I don't know anyone with a PS3 anymore. Is it not possible to do the same thing using a PS4 or does it have to be PS3 only for some reason?

I do own a PS4, can this be used to buy games, activate, and transfer or it there some kind of issue with the PS4?

Btw. Just watched you video, whoa crazy amount of steps to be completed.
Like that once done for the PSP side of things, can just start TN-V without redoing everything all over again.

Last edited by pica200,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

I can't get hold of a cheap PS3, there is a brand new PS slim 500GB (last one remaining) at store I got the Vita from which is reduced to $167 in US dollars.
You're better off going to a second-hand shop and getting it for, like, $70-80. (I know it's £70 in the UK because I bought one of that price.)

Noticed that I can buy Patapon 2 from my regions store. If I manually update the vita to 3.18 then I am good to go yea?

3.18 is the best firmware to be on right?
Yes and yes.

I don't really want to buy another PS3 console to transfer and activate, sold my PS3 a few months ago. I don't know anyone with a PS3 anymore. Is it not possible to do the same thing using a PS4 or does it have to be PS3 only for some reason?
PS4 won't work due to its lack of transferral software/hardware.

I do own a PS4, can this be used to buy games, activate, and transfer or it there some kind of issue with the PS4?
See above answer.

:)

pica200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Nice reply. I am just about there, just want to near 100% sure as possible so I can do this right. L

I live in a small town pretty far away from anywhere. The new PS3 has been sold, that thought I could get from a local store, there is a good reason why old at home.

The only other way is to buy PS3 from online auction.

Just to clarify, once expoit is in place I will not need the PS3 ever again?

Also I can only get patapon 2 essentials, not sure if it being the essentials versions will be a problem as in has a different ID

Last edited by pica200,

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
Just to clarify, once expoit is in place I will not need the PS3 ever again?

Yeah that's what I thought but I'd recommend keeping the PS3 anyway. Then if you ever break your exploit game or whatever you can redo it, and if you buy Vita games that work with 3.18 or below you can transfer it across with the qCMA USB trick. I ended up buying Super Stardust Delta and Zen Pinball 2, both of which I love (I might pick up Resogun as well) and the easiest way to get them across to my 3.18 Phat Vita was with the PS3. Otherwise I'd only be able to download them to my Slim running 3.55, and the Slim has an inferior screen (poor contrast ratio LED backlit versus the gorgeous OLED on the previous model).

Also I can only get patapon 2 essentials, not sure if it being the essentials versions will be a problem as in has a different ID

I don't know if they changed anything that would allow the exploit, but to be honest it shouldn't matter too much. These are the ones I've tried myself with the quikrazor87 TN-V 3.50 bubble exploit by purchasing the games in order, in fact one of them is a free demo:

• Numblast - FAIL
  • Patapon 2 - WORKING
  • Ape Quest [Demo] - WORKING
  • Arcade Darts - WORKING
I would say that the best one is Arcade Darts because it has a small file size (about 22MB) and is cheap. Ape Quest is good because it's free but it'll still steal over 200MB on your memory card. If you want to try and make LiveArea bubbles the bubble blower app needs to copy the entire game to make the bubble so the smaller the better. Arcade Darts only cost me £2.49 on the UK PlayStation Store as well.

pica200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Ended up with a new slim today also, as I have increased my Vita library heavily over the recent weeks. The slim has 3.51 firmware out of the box, so I take it that it is pretty new production model. Happy enough to update this higher if need be but for now will leave on 3.51, this is more for the different form factor and the certain pro it has while ignoring its cons.

I will keep looking for cheap enough PS3 cause I am going to need once I manually update the phat from 1.81 to 3.18, until I find a cheap PS3 then I think I will just leave at 1.81.

Using my oldest original phat which is at 3.55, I was able to download from the store Ape Quest Starter, which I am going to take it that this is the demo version right?, as it is ~234MB in size. I can see Arcade Darts (minis) so I am thinking the minis part is ok?
Thinking if I download in advance the games on the update vita then I can just pull across from a PS3 when I find a decent condition cheap one, cause I don't want a piece of crap beat up PS3. Not that it should matter to much, but like you say, have the option to do a few things, so rather a nice PS3 that can leave plugged in somewhere at home, rather than packing it out of the way.

Yeah the LED screen is a piece of, when compared with OLED but isn't to bad otherwise and the slim is nice in the hand. I couldn't imagine anything less for the PSP on a OLED vita, few PSP games I have purchased a long time ago look great on the OLED.

Gone a bit crazy buying up a stack of vita games over last few weeks. Although great cellphones around nothing compares to a technically brilliant handheld system.

Last edited by pica200,

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
Ended up with a new slim today also, as I have increased my Vita library heavily over the recent weeks.

Yeah I think I've bought about a dozen games, a mixture of DLC and carts. There are some quality titles available, just not as many as we'd all like.

The slim has 3.51 firmware out of the box, so I take it that it is pretty new production model. Happy enough to update this higher if need be but for now will leave on 3.51, this is more for the different form factor and the certain pro it has while ignoring its cons

Depends what you want to use it for. 3.51 allows the use of Rejuvenate later on if you want but you won't be able to use PSN/remote play etc until you upgrade to 3.55.

I will keep looking for cheap enough PS3 cause I am going to need once I manually update the phat from 1.81 to 3.18, until I find a cheap PS3 then I think I will just leave at 1.81.

You do the update via qCMA, so you only need a PC or Mac. No PS3 required.

Using my oldest original phat which is at 3.55, I was able to download from the store Ape Quest Starter, which I am going to take it that this is the demo version right?, as it is ~234MB in size. I can see Arcade Darts (minis) so I am thinking the minis part is ok?

That sounds about the right size for the Ape Quest demo, yeah. Arcade Darts is different in that it boots up with a minis logo, but is functionality identical to any of the others I've tried for the TN-V bubble exploit.

Thinking if I download in advance the games on the update vita then I can just pull across from a PS3 when I find a decent condition cheap one

I can't say from experience if that would work but I once tried to restore a 3.55 backed up memory card to another one and use it in a 3.18 Vita and it wouldn't have it. I wonder if the games would be stamped with a similar id.dat thing, probably not but might be worth reading up on it.

Yeah the LED screen is a piece of, when compared with OLED but isn't to bad otherwise and the slim is nice in the hand. I couldn't imagine anything less for the PSP on a OLED vita, few PSP games I have purchased a long time ago look great on the OLED.

Everything looks good on the Vita OLED. If memory cards weren't so expensive I'd probably use it for video playback as well.

Gone a bit crazy buying up a stack of vita games over last few weeks. Although great cellphones around nothing compares to a technically brilliant handheld system.

Yeah that's what I think too. Physical controls will always beat touchscreens, and the build quality is premium compared to most regular Android phones. I couldn't be one of these people who says "yeah but my phone plays everything via emulators!" and carry a DualShock 4 controller around. Why run the battery down on your phone, also the best PSP emulator I could find couldn't manage to emulate Pinball Hall Of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection on PC or phone properly even when I spent half an hour playing with the settings. Much, much prefer the Vita, it's not perfect but for me still the best handheld gaming machine out there.

pica200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yeah I need to do the manual firmware update from 1.81 to 3.18 with a PC providing there are no regional firmwares? Will do that before I commit to buying a PS3 just in case I brick it ok something better comes out all of a sudden.

There is a up an coming PS3 emulator, I haven't tried this myself as only just found out about it. Can you see it there is enough functionally to use an emulator?
Here is the link http://rpcs3.net

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I need to do the manual firmware update from 1.81 to 3.18 with a PC providing there are no regional firmwares? Will do that before I commit to buying a PS3 just in case I brick it ok something better comes out all of a sudden.

There is a up an coming PS3 emulator, I haven't tried this myself as only just found out about it. Can you see it there is enough functionally to use an emulator?
Here is the link http://rpcs3.net

No idea if they've implemented USB support correctly. Looks pre-alpha so I'd be surprised if almost anything works on it. I wouldn't take the risk and brick your Vita. Personally I'd be surprised if an emulated PS3 and a Vita could see each other via USB. And then you also have the drawback that the qCMA trick requires hooking it up, connecting it to a PC, then disconnecting and hooking up to the PS3 so you'd probably need two PCs, one powerful enough to run this thing and the other for qCMA. Sounds like a lot of effort rather than just buying a PS3 and using a method well-known to work.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This seems a very complicated thread for a simple process:

Get PSN Account.

Buy or borrow PS3, sign in on it using your PSN account.

Use tutorial here to activate 1.81 Vita: http://wololo.net/2013/04/17/lower-ps-vita-firmwares-for-dummies/

Update Vita manually to 3.18: http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=23013

Buy Talkman Travel Tokyo (ideal - fastest easiest exploit)and download to PS3. Install using OpenCMA/PS3.

Install TN-V exploit savegame from here: http://hackinformer.com/forum/thread-154.html

Profit!

pica200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Great just a few lines, nice nutshell. Although going through the three links it becomes very complicated.

I didn't realize that I need a PS3 to just activate it. I thought all I needed to do was just start up the vita 1.81 setup and link to my PSN account and then it is activated. Seems like a big pile of BS to just activate the vita using a PS3, and the is before I can manually upgrade the firmware 3.18

This is how I see it, without being very complicated.

1. Power on vita 1.81, setup as normal and throw in my PSN details and that is activated(?), turn off auto updates in settings.
2. Manually update the vita on a PC using 3.18 firmware
3. Copy over a PSP game from PS3 console to vita on 3.18
4. Run the exploit

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great just a few lines, nice nutshell. Although going through the three links it becomes very complicated.

I didn't realize that I need a PS3 to just activate it. I thought all I needed to do was just start up the vita 1.81 setup and link to my PSN account and then it is activated. Seems like a big pile of BS to just activate the vita using a PS3, and the is before I can manually upgrade the firmware 3.18

This is how I see it, without being very complicated.

1. Power on vita 1.81, setup as normal and throw in my PSN details and that is activated(?), turn off auto updates in settings.
2. Manually update the vita on a PC using 3.18 firmware
3. Copy over a PSP game from PS3 console to vita on 3.18
4. Run the exploit

You know, quite honestly, you might be able to activate an old firmware Vita just by putting in your PSN details, it's a long time since I did mine (it was on a 2.XX firmware when I got it) and I forget if I needed the PS3 or not (I've always had one around, so didn't need to consider that). If that works you will almost certainly get hit with an update prompt, though I think the manual upgrade to 3.18 might get rid of that.

Most Vita stuff is somewhat complicated at first, and I've definitely stumbled along the way by not reading stuff carefully.

I would debate the earlier point about the Vita being hugely superior hardware to all PSP models, the Go is a beautiful little machine, with a fantastic screen (not OLED fantastic though, I will admit), and tons of built in and cheaply upgradeable storage, I actually have two of them - one for home and one for out and about. The PSP emulation on the Vita through TN-V is fine, but I wouldn't waste too much time with other emulators or even PS1 games TBH, unless that extra diagonal 1" of screen is what's most important to you, the fact that the 200, 3000 and Go PSPs have twice the available RAM of the Vita PSP emulator makes them far better for ps1/retro gaming.

EDIT: Maybe as your system has never been activated, it will have to have your PSN details before connecting to the update server - at which point it will be activated and you can refuse the update? Worth a try - just be super careful you don't update to 3.55 or whatever by accident.

Last edited by mechagouki,

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
You know, quite honestly, you might be able to activate an old firmware Vita just by putting in your PSN details, it's a long time since I did mine (it was on a 2.XX firmware when I got it) and I forget if I needed the PS3 or not (I've always had one around, so didn't need to consider that). If that works you will almost certainly get hit with an update prompt, though I think the manual upgrade to 3.18 might get rid of that.

Putting in your PSN details while doing the initial setup doesn't fully activate the Vita, it just links it to your PSN account so it later CAN be activated. As is my understanding.

Most Vita stuff is somewhat complicated at first, and I've definitely stumbled along the way by not reading stuff carefully.

Agreed. At points it becomes needlessly complicated to hack, bit of a challenge for any non-coder I think.

I would debate the earlier point about the Vita being hugely superior hardware to all PSP models, the Go is a beautiful little machine, with a fantastic screen (not OLED fantastic though, I will admit), and tons of built in and cheaply upgradeable storage, I actually have two of them - one for home and one for out and about. The PSP emulation on the Vita through TN-V is fine, but I wouldn't waste too much time with other emulators or even PS1 games TBH, unless that extra diagonal 1" of screen is what's most important to you, the fact that the 200, 3000 and Go PSPs have twice the available RAM of the Vita PSP emulator makes them far better for ps1/retro gaming.

Its different strokes for different folks. Having owned three of the five PSPs (1000, 2000 & 3000 series) I was never happy with the screen quality/size. Maybe the Go is better at least from a quality perspective but by this point I learnt about Rejuvenate and realised with some legwork I could get the Vita to do exactly what my PSPs did, but better, and with a new selection of platform specific games too, for not much more than I'd pay for a 3000 series PSP.

If you go the Rejuvenate route the SNES emulator, for one, is far superior to anything possible on the PSP. Case in point, I could barely get Snes9xTYLmecm running Super Mario Kart at 23-25FPS on the EU version, whereas CATSFC via Rejuvenate which has only been out four/five months gives you a rock solid 50FPS on the same game without having to resort to the palette/sound hacks needed to try and keep things barely playable with the frame rate chopped in half. Given more dev time it'll probably be able to handle the SFX chip games like Star Fox aka Starwing at full speed too.

Also the PS1 emulation with the TN-X exploit is near perfect, I'd probably say Sony's PS1 Loader is based on an upgraded version of the PSP one and you can use both analogue sticks, plus touchpad or touchscreen for the remaining buttons.

There's no doubting that the PSP line offers better value for money and ease of use, but if you're willing to put the time in to exploit your way around the Vita's quirks it becomes the superior console. IMO. They're both fine choices though.

Reactions: mechagouki

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Putting in your PSN details while doing the initial setup doesn't fully activate the Vita, it just links it to your PSN account so it later CAN be activated. As is my understanding.

Agreed. At points it becomes needlessly complicated to hack, bit of a challenge for any non-coder I think.

Its different strokes for different folks. Having owned three of the five PSPs (1000, 2000 & 3000 series) I was never happy with the screen quality/size. Maybe the Go is better at least from a quality perspective but by this point I learnt about Rejuvenate and realised with some legwork I could get the Vita to do exactly what my PSPs did, but better, and with a new selection of platform specific games too, for not much more than I'd pay for a 3000 series PSP.

If you go the Rejuvenate route the SNES emulator, for one, is far superior to anything possible on the PSP. Case in point, I could barely get Snes9xTYLmecm running Super Mario Kart at 23-25FPS on the EU version, whereas CATSFC via Rejuvenate which has only been out four/five months gives you a rock solid 50FPS on the same game without having to resort to the palette/sound hacks needed to try and keep things barely playable with the frame rate chopped in half. Given more dev time it'll probably be able to handle the SFX chip games like Star Fox aka Starwing at full speed too.

Also the PS1 emulation with the TN-X exploit is near perfect, I'd probably say Sony's PS1 Loader is based on an upgraded version of the PSP one and you can use both analogue sticks, plus touchpad or touchscreen for the remaining buttons.

There's no doubting that the PSP line offers better value for money and ease of use, but if you're willing to put the time in to exploit your way around the Vita's quirks it becomes the superior console. IMO. They're both fine choices though.

You make some good points. I haven't tried Rejuvenate yet, -most of the SNES stuff I play is RPG, so I've not been troubled by framerate issues. I've never bothered with PS1 games on Vita either, though I did buy Tekken 2 a long time ago with that in mind. I am not a fan of tethered hacks, which has definitely put me off Rejuvenate. I do like the idea of playing THPS, Tomb Raider, Shadowman and other games that require a full Dual Shock button complement though, maybe I'll give it a go over the holidays.

Last edited by mechagouki,

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
You make some good points. I haven't tried Rejuvenate yet, -most of the SNES stuff I play is RPG, so I've not been troubled by framerate issues. I've never bothered with PS1 games on Vita either, though I did buy Tekken 2 a long time ago with that in mind. I am not a fan of tethered hacks, which has definitely put me off Rejuvenate. I do like the idea of playing THPS, Tomb Raider, Shadowman and other games that require a full Dual Shock button complement though, maybe I'll give it a go over the holidays.

I'd recommend both, if you have an Android phone it's not too difficult to tether via hotspot to get the emulator loaded. What it needs is to have VitaShell as the launcher and the emulators to have proper exit options built in so you can move between them without rerunning the exploit via the phone each time, that'll come though. PS1 loader works great, I have it mostly for THPS2. Personally for PS1 stuff I'd recommend mapping the most important trigger buttons to the physical Vita triggers, the other two triggers to the bottom corners of the front touchscreen and the thumbstick buttons to the top corner, disabling the rear touchpad controls. Fortunately most games of the PS1 era never did make use of every button so in most cases this'll work out fine.

pica200

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I thought the Vita had PSP chip inside, as in co-processor native PSP chip and not emulation. If just emulation that isn't great. Like the Wii U and 3DS have an actual chip for backward compatibility.

Last edited by pica200,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello