Psychonauts 2 delayed into next year

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 11, 2019.

Front-page
    62VRmlA.

Announced in 2015, crowdfunded in 2016, and scheduled for release in 2019 was the sequel to Double Fine's cult-classic, Psychonauts. When studio Double Fine revealed its acquisition by Microsoft at E3 2019, the company was excited about future prospects over no longer being an independent studio, and releasing Psychonauts 2 this year, showing a bit of gameplay during Microsoft's press conference. That will no longer be the case, however, as the game has been officially delayed into next year.

For those that felt concerned as to whether Psychonauts 2 would be an Xbox exclusive due to the buyout, Double Fine stressed that the game would still be coming to all previously promised platforms, including PlayStation 4 and PC. Psychonauts 2 was initially set for release in 2018, but this marks a second delay, pushing it into a vague 2020 launch window.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (16 replies)
  1. Xzi

Xzi A terrible fate fills you with determination

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Looking forward to this one (who isn't), but I can handle the delay. 2020 gonna be crazy for game releases.

2. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Independent Double Fine has a history of delays, doesn't it? It seems that it's dangerous to leave Tim Schafer alone with too much money and too much time on his hands.
    I remember he once said the meat circus level in the original Psychonauts was supposed to be two levels but had to be combined into one due to time and budget constraints? The results was the best level in the game. On the other hand, when he's not pressed by external deadlines and budget, he tends to fly off the rails.

3. b17bomber

b17bomber GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    Bobby Kotick is proven right yet again.

4. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Damn. Why they always postpone hto ones?

5. fixemails

fixemails Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2019
    United States
    United States
    Looking forward how it works then let you know soon guy's through our comments.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    For whatever reason I have not seen much of anything about Psychonauts 2 -- I played the original on the original xbox and it was a delightful little game. Rather of its time when it came to mechanics but the universe it created was great. Don't plan on knowing much more about it until some people say "it is not bad" (following the previous crowdfunded effort they don't have my "sight unseen" trust) and it is front of me.

7. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    is there a universe where this game is NOT delayed? :creep:

CallmeBerto likes this.
  8. Ganglebot

Ganglebot Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2019
    Canada
    I'm not super surprised - crowd sourced development makes these things tend to happen.

The question is why - are the behind schedule or is it not meeting quality exceptions.

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Is it an either-or type question? Some dodgy code choices causing delays and making debugging harder than it ought to be is a good bet if their previous efforts are anything to go by.

10. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    It's not bad!

11. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Watch them run out of money again.

12. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    ohh, I thought the game was already released. wasn't it supposed to be a VR only game?
    now doing some research, the VR game was probably just a spinoff before the second game.

Last edited by Cyan, Jul 11, 2019
  13. jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer Neato Burrito!

Aug 24, 2018
    United States
    in ur orbit
    y no switch versin

(Also, "I AM THE MILKMAN. MY MILK IS DELICIOUS." needs to be in the game.)

14. ecesar

ecesar Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2018
    Brazil
    Just remember, the original Psychonauts from 14 years ago is playable via backwards compatibility on XBO. And was re-released for PS4 (Sony wants you to pay again).

It is US$ 9.99 in both platforms, but the PS4 version is US$ 2.49 for a limited time (7/09 to 7/23).

15. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2019
    United States
    It's probably been quoted a million times in this thread alone, but you can't forget Shigeru Miyamoto's famous quote, "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

16. JoanMunn

JoanMunn Newbie

Newcomer
    Today
    United Kingdom
    UK
    Very interesting :)