PSX - Removing Mod Chip

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by yohuchiha, Jun 11, 2017.

1. yohuchiha
    OP

yohuchiha Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    Yesterday I've found my PSX on my grandmother house. And He is still working. :D
    But, it not reading CDs. [Maybe that is the why I leaved there]
    I've try to search a bit, but Google told me that if i remove the mod Chip the desk reader going to work again.
    But, when I remove all those chips from PSX it stop work. [Freeze at stat screen]
    And when I solder it back, it works again.

Does any one know how to remove this mod chip? [Or do i have to buy a new Disk drive?]

I'm thinking to buy an PSIO. Does I have to remove this mod chip in order to run PSIO?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Braixen361uwu

Braixen361uwu Banned

Banned
    Jun 11, 2017
    Mexico
    Hermosillo <3 AKA WALL ZONE
    Seems it's just unsoldering that.

3. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    You do not have to remove it for the PSIO to work. The only thing it does is check for games from the back port. It will also check for discs after booting. I have never used other mod chips, so I can't comment on your specific one, but other PSIO owners have both. However, PSIO is more expensive than regular mod chips, and they have yet to mass produce them and are thus hard to get. That should change late this year or early next year.

yohuchiha likes this.
  4. Ferris1000

Ferris1000 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2017
    Gambia, The
    yohuchiha and zfreeman like this.
  5. Kourin

Kourin Touhou Maniac

Jan 24, 2016
    Australia
    Ripple Star
    PSIO is hard to get your hands on. I think they can install the chip the PSIO needs to work for you now but for the actual unit you'll need to pay close attention to their site every day and make sure you're first next time they go on sale.

6. yohuchiha
    OP

yohuchiha Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    Didn`t work. PSX stop booting without the mod chip. :(

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So, that is the why it was not working when I remove it. Thanks.

Yeah.
    I wish I had one. But the reality is that I'm thinking of buying a cd player for the PSX. Do you know if this reader is for the scph-5501?
    https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/KSM-...2424821665.html?spm=2114.42010608.4.54.lZrtM8

That Quartz?
    [​IMG]

I didn't get what it is for. But, when I removed. I've remove both. And I didn't know exactly who was the one for making it freeze.
    Do you know what this Quartz is for?

7. dilav

dilav GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 22, 2006
    United States
    Yes, that is the crystal oscillator, do not remove that.
    I believe it is responsible for the video output frequency subcarrier. According to Wikipedia Brazil's video format is PAL-M at 3.575611MHz. 3.575611MHz*15 = 53.634165MHz which seem to match what is printed on the oscillator.
    In other words, it is a console from a different region with video modded to work on Brazil's PAL-M video format.
    Removing the modchip will prevent backups and region locking your console to the original SCEA games (if the sticker on the housing belongs to the motherboard)

yohuchiha likes this.
  8. yohuchiha
    OP

yohuchiha Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    :O Thanks!
    I want to convert it back to NTSC-U. I just have to buy a new crystal ? Do you know which one to buy ? And where to put ?
    It is a 14.31818 crystal or 14.30244 ?
    [​IMG]

Cd is not working. Do you know which chip is used to get it working.

Last edited by yohuchiha, Jun 18, 2017
  9. dilav

dilav GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 22, 2006
    United States
    I'm not sure about video output. You will need 53.693175MHz (3.579545Mhz*15) for NTSC, but I do not know if replacing the crystal is the only modification needed. Maybe someone else can help you with that.

The PlayStation does not boot disc or give error, does it play Audio CD? If not try cleaning and pot tweaking the laser or get a replacement KSM-440ADM.

Regards

yohuchiha likes this.