Wii gaming bitch
OP
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I recently got my hands on a psx which is modded... i was like damn that's nice! although it had some drive issues (didn't start spinning) and had some video signal issues at first, but after opening the thing and reconnecting the cables everything worked like a charm....

except for one game (croc) which was in black and white for some reason...

but i was like, i don't mind, i'll redownload a pal version and burn it as i did wanna burn tony hawk 1 and 2 too...

and so i did... i burned Croc 1 & 2 and burned tony hawk 1 & 2...

now comes the weird part... tony hawk 2 works like a charm while croc 1 & 2 is giving me a please insert playstation cd rom error and so does tony hawk 1 but they all work on a emulator on my pc and i checked the iso i downloaded of croc and compared it with the cd which gave me black and white and both were identical except for one file(which i think is the region file) SLUS005.30 on my disc and SLES005.93 on my iso...

all my other burned games that were with the psx are still working fine...

any ideas on how to solve this or what might cause this?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Same here with Digimon World 2003 on an OLD PS1 "fat" model (maybe launch day console). All the other games would work fine, i mean the laser unit was calibrated and a lot of games like Chrono Cross worked like a charm, but there was NO way I could run the same DW2003 disc on that PS1, even after PAL,NTSC, etc releases.

I then tried those DW2003 discs on a PSOne model (the small one) and all they booted fine.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Black and white games require a real (full pin) scart cable.
Not a RCA to Scart adapter, nor a SCART with only few pins.

CD brand is very important on PSX, as the console expect a black surface (which I think reflect better?), and some CD are harder to read than other.
Some old PSX (with plastic lens rail) also required that you put it vertically (not 90° but between 80° and 120°, find the right angle!)

But if it's only a specific game which doesn't work, maybe the game has an AntiPiracy protection? some game might detect modchips, some other games require a specific bunrning application/method (you need to burn with SubChannel in RAW DAO)

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
OP
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
didn't take any pictures yet, but i read something about the drive having problems reading discs and holding it upside down solves it... tried that while booting crock or at least holding is sideways and it did boot and after boot i could just leave it normally and played just fine... so i don't think it is chip related... any ideas?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You only have an old unit which have difficulty to read discs because the lens is not correctly aligned with the data.
I'm always playing with mine vertically, but with time it's getting worse and worse, there's not a lot you can do about it.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Black and white games require a real (full pin) scart cable.
Not a RCA to Scart adapter, nor a SCART with only few pins.

Scart doesn't have to be have all the pins, at least not a console scart. A lot are send pins (Pin 1 is audio output right for example, while pin 2 is audio input right ). Console scarts can only go one way round, so would only need pin 2 in Scart end. Look at Official Nintendo RGB scarts, they only have the needed pins in them.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah I know that not all pins are used, but I remember that the one I had with only some pins were often the ones which rendered NTSC games in black and white.
I needed to use a good SCART cable with RGB pins connected.

Of course, having a "full pinned" cable doesn't mean that all the needed pins for NTSC to output in colors will be connected, but he has more chance that they are.

I suppose he need to test it to see if the cable is a good one. (or check user's comment on online shops, but they are often not aware of the problem)

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Scart doesn't have to be have all the pins, at least not a console scart. A lot are send pins (Pin 1 is audio output right for example, while pin 2 is audio input right ). Console scarts can only go one way round, so would only need pin 2 in Scart end. Look at Official Nintendo RGB scarts, they only have the needed pins in them.

Yeah it would seem there is an official North American SNES RGB scart. Apparently Nintendo used it for kiosks.
I only just heard about that cable a day or two ago.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yeah I know that not all pins are used, but I remember that the one I had with only some pins were often the ones which rendered NTSC games in black and white.
I needed to use a good SCART cable with R B G pins connected.

Of course, having a "full pinned" cable doesn't mean that all the needed pins for NTSC to output in colors will be connected, but he has more chance that they are.

I suppose he need to test it to see if the cable is a good one. (or check user's comment on online shops, but they are often not aware of the problem)

True, if they are all there, there is more chance they are connected, but just not to ignore ones that say they are RGB, but don't have all the pins. As long as left/right audio in + composite in +RGB+ gnd pins are there, it's should be good. A lot just seem to claim, if it's not 21 pins, it isn't rgb. Nintendo's official RGB scarts are like this.
Gamecube RGB scart is only 9 of the 21 pins.

I've noticed comments on shops being inaccurate as well. I think it's because people don't seem to know what the TV supports. If TV supports NTSC, you will get colour with any cable (still should use RGB though), if it's only PAL60 support, then black & white on NTSC signals, so need RGB cable. So you get the people who have NTSC support saying it's RGB, as there seems to be a myth, that you need it for colour, no matter what, so they assume it's rgb and the people with TV that only supports 60Hz, but not NTSC colour encoding, say it isn't, then it turns into the crappy arguments that most comments sections have.

Reactions: Cyan

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
OP
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
i guess it was a matter of playing croc ntsc on a pal console with pal cable, cause i downloaded a pal crock and helt my psx sideways to boot the game as i'm still waiting on a new lens, and it booted good with colors :) hope the new lens is all that's needed to get everything working again :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: