Hacking PSX and PS2 games doubts

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm on Rebug 4.84.2 and I want to start playing PS1 and PS2 games but can anyone tell me what's the difference between using multiMAN to mount a game and running it via XMB or mounting it using multiMAN and then running it via PS1 Launcher/PS2 ISO Launcher/PS2 Launcher Rebug?

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
what's the difference between using multiMAN to mount a game and running it via the XMB's PSX and PS2 disc icons (i.e., without using a PSX/PS2 Launcher) or mounting it using multiMAN and afterwards running it via PSX Launcher/PS2 ISO Launcher/PS2 Launcher Rebug?
If you're using a Cobra/Mamba (which you must be, else you can't mount standard PS2 disc images but only PS2Classics encrypted disc images) launching the virtual disc the official way will run it the way your console would officially run it (using ps2_emu or ps2_gxemu if you have the hardware, else hacking ps2_netemu to use the unencrypted disc image)
PS2 Classics, whether done the proper way with a standalone package or using the placeholder and a mounted (encrypted or not) disc image, always use 100% software emulation (ps2_netemu)
PS1 is always 100% software emulation and has nothing to do with anything PS2 related

Some problematic with software emulation PS2 titles may be improved by a config file (which is mostly black magic that patches the game and/or makes the emulator work differently), if that's what you're thinking of they can be used in all 3 ways to use ps2_netemu (standalone package, iso.bin.enc + launcher, iso + launcher) - check your cobra/mamba changelog and your *man program's documentation to learn if they're supported the way you want to use it!

Can ManaGunZ play PSX, PS2, PS3 and PSP games in a NTFS partition as well as install PKG files on that partition? I don't mind if it asks to copy the PS2 games to the internal HDD like multiMAN.
First, as you already noticed, it's impossible (with current knowledge and implementations) to run PS2 from an external drive so no workaround to copying the file
External gamedata (which I don't think Managunz does, if you really want it there's Webman Mod anyway) isn't a smart idea either due to poor compatibility (it was designed to be installed on an UFS filesystem, after all)
For PS1/3/P backups the answer is generally yes - remember the *man homebrew, if you have cobra/mamba, is only responsible for listing disc images and telling the cfw to go mount it itself :)

My personal recommendation is to have everything on the internal drive and in proper formats (installed package for digital titles, nonsplit bin+cue for CD games, iso for DVD/BD software) - high compatibility and satisfaction with low hassle :)

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If you're using a Cobra/Mamba (which you must be, else you can't mount standard PS2 disc images but only PS2Classics encrypted disc images) launching the virtual disc the official way will run it the way your console would officially run it (using ps2_emu or ps2_gxemu if you have the hardware, else hacking ps2_netemu to use the unencrypted disc image)
PS2 Classics, whether done the proper way with a standalone package or using the placeholder and a mounted (encrypted or not) disc image, always use 100% software emulation (ps2_netemu)
PS1 is always 100% software emulation and has nothing to do with anything PS2 related

Some problematic with software emulation PS2 titles may be improved by a config file (which is mostly black magic that patches the game and/or makes the emulator work differently), if that's what you're thinking of they can be used in all 3 ways to use ps2_netemu (standalone package, iso.bin.enc + launcher, iso + launcher) - check your cobra/mamba changelog and your *man program's documentation to learn if they're supported the way you want to use it!

First, as you already noticed, it's impossible (with current knowledge and implementations) to run PS2 from an external drive so no workaround to copying the file
External gamedata (which I don't think Managunz does, if you really want it there's Webman Mod anyway) isn't a smart idea either due to poor compatibility (it was designed to be installed on an UFS filesystem, after all)
For PS1/3/P backups the answer is generally yes - remember the *man homebrew, if you have cobra/mamba, is only responsible for listing disc images and telling the cfw to go mount it itself :)

My personal recommendation is to have everything on the internal drive and in proper formats (installed package for digital titles, nonsplit bin+cue for CD games, iso for DVD/BD software) - high compatibility and satisfaction with low hassle :)

I forgot to say my PS3 is non-BC and webMAN MOD/sMAN always freeze my PS3 so I can't use them.

Sorry, but this is very difficult for me since I only got started on CFW recently so I don't know what you mean by Cobra, Mamba, ps2_emu, ps2_gxemu, ps2_netemu and config file.

So, can I play all or most PS1 and PS2 games without using a PS1/PS2 Launcher? I tried playing a PS2 game without a Launcher and it was said my controller wasn't found until I pressed its PS button. This doesn't happen when playing PS1 and PSP games.

Should I click "REBUG" on the "System Mode" setting on Rebug Toolbox and combine all PS1's BIN files into one and convert its APE files to BIN (and maybe then combine all BIN files into a single one)? I tried playing both versions of a PS1 game (with and without a PS1 Launcher) and they didn't have audio or had repetitive tracks unlike another PS1 game I tested (with and without a PS1 Launcher) and according to the PS1 Emulator Compatibility List, it (the one which had problems) didn't have problems. I even used PSP2PS3 to convert the game with issues to PKG using both PSP Remaster and PSP Mini methods and I still had the same problem.

How can multiMAN read PS1 games when they're not on ISO format and why are they hosted in a folder called PSXISO if they're not in ISO format although multiMAN says they are?

Why are a lot of PS1, PS2 and PSP games missing from the PS1, PS2 and PSP Emulator Compatibility Lists? Do they have problems?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, can I play all or most PSX and PS2 games without using a PSX/PS2 Launcher?
Yes, if you have a modern Cobra CFW* (in rebug that's an option you enable with their optional install "rebug toolbox" app) you can just mount backups and run them from the XMB, no launcher needed (there even isn't one for PS1)
*HAN still doesn't support PS2 isos and you need a launcher, but that's not your case

I tried playing a PS2 game and it stated my controller wasn't found until I pressed its Home button.
That's normal, the PS2 emulators (ps2_emu, ps2_gxemu, ps2_netemo - you can only use netemu on your console) are separate kernels so the console reboots when you open or close them! :)
(If you used Webman, that would be the same reason you can't use FTP or software fan control in PS2 mode)

I read ManaGunZ played games from NTFS partitions.
Yes (as do most backup managers on Cobra), but PS2 is an exception (in part for the reason above, modding PS2 mode is a lot harder and less flexible - being able to play isos from internal instead of using iso.bin.edat was a very significant achievement)

ombine all PSX's BIN files into one and convert its (PSX's) APE files to BIN (and maybe afterwards combine all BIN files into one)?
Yes, you need to undo any compression (ecm for data tracks, ape = monkey's audio for audio tracks), open the cue file in a text editor and check that the filenames for the tracks are correct, then open the cue in isobuster or cdmage and save everything as a single bin+cue - that's the only format supported for backups of streaming audio games
(actually some backup managers support audio with img+ccd too, but bin+cue is better supported)

I even used PSP2PS3 to convert it to PKG using both PSP Remaster and PSP Mini methods and I still had the same problem.
Wait, you converted a PS1 game to eboot and then that to a PSP package? Didn't even know you could lol

a folder called PSXISO
That's just a name used for historical reasons - someone (probably Cobra when that name meant a paid CFW) first used it and everyone followed for compatibility :)
(it's even wrong - the console is officially called a "PS", unofficially "PS1" and codenamed "PS-X"; "PSX" is the media center version of the PS2)

You should be able to use ISO (worst format - can only contain a single data track), CUE+BIN (only a single BIN file due to the way the PS1 emulator works), and IMG+CCD at least!

Why are a lot of PSX, PS2 and PSP games missing from the PS1, PS2 and PSP Emulator Compatibility Lists?
Because not all games were tested and not everyone who did thought of adding them to ps3devwiki :P

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, if you have a modern Cobra CFW* (in rebug that's an option you enable with their optional install "rebug toolbox" app) you can just mount backups and run them from the XMB, no launcher needed (there even isn't one for PS1)
*HAN still doesn't support PS2 isos and you need a launcher, but that's not your case

What about this PS Launcher?

Yes, you need to undo any compression (ecm for data tracks, ape = monkey's audio for audio tracks), open the cue file in a text editor and check that the filenames for the tracks are correct, then open the cue in isobuster or cdmage and save everything as a single bin+cue - that's the only format supported for backups of streaming audio games
(actually some backup managers support audio with img+ccd too, but bin+cue is better supported)

But I was able to play a CUE + ACE PS1 game without converting ACE files to BIN.

That's what I did (I used CDMage and Monkey's Audio and went to that website to generate a CUE file for the games that didn't come with it).

CDMage mentioned an error when combining BIN files which were originally APE ones.

Should I convert all non-CUE/BIN games to CUE/BIN?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

That's normal, the PS2 emulators (ps2_emu, ps2_gxemu, ps2_netemo - you can only use netemu on your console) are separate kernels so the console reboots when you open or close them! :)
(If you used Webman, that would be the same reason you can't use FTP or software fan control in PS2 mode)

Yes (as do most backup managers on Cobra), but PS2 is an exception (in part for the reason above, modding PS2 mode is a lot harder and less flexible - being able to play isos from internal instead of using iso.bin.edat was a very significant achievement)

Wait, you converted a PS1 game to eboot and then that to a PSP package? Didn't even know you could lol

That's just a name used for historical reasons - someone (probably Cobra when that name meant a paid CFW) first used it and everyone followed for compatibility :)
(it's even wrong - the console is officially called a "PS", unofficially "PS1" and codenamed "PS-X"; "PSX" is the media center version of the PS2)

You should be able to use ISO (worst format - can only contain a single data track), CUE+BIN (only a single BIN file due to the way the PS1 emulator works), and IMG+CCD at least!

Because not all games were tested and not everyone who did thought of adding them to ps3devwiki :P

Sorry, but I have some more questions:

I noticed I can't access the external HDD's NTFS partition in FileZilla Client but I can access the external HDD's FAT32 one. Why?

What's "* PlayStation3" on the XMB and why do I have an error message every time I click it?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apollo can create custom PS2 Classics out of PS2 ISOs, but there's compatibility issues.

I'd suggest grabbing official PS2 Classics and use a Windows program to create PS2-PS3 PKGs. Apollo takes a while to convert.

That [Apollo] is an excellent app and has helped me reuse old saves which Sony locked per console although thru this app that's no longer an issue.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Apollo can create custom PS2 Classics out of PS2 ISOs, but there's compatibility issues.

I'd suggest grabbing official PS2 Classics and use a Windows program to create PS2-PS3 PKGs. Apollo takes a while to convert.

That [Apollo] is an excellent app and has helped me reuse old saves which Sony locked per console although thru this app that's no longer an issue.

I thought Apollo Save Tool could only convert game saves. Anyway, that doesn't have to do with my previous two posts and I prefer not to convert PS2 and PS3 ISOs to PKG.

/app_home/PS3_GAME is known as game debug in the flash.

Sorry, could you explain yourself better?

EDIT: According to PSX-Place, "* PlayStation3" is needed by IRISMAN or other backup managers to mount ISOs and JB folders. Removing it from the XMB breaks a lot of features and that's why it's always there.

EDIT 2: I bought an used PS3 since the previous stopped reading BRs, installed webMAN MOD's latest version and it hasn't been freezing my PS3 so maybe it was the previous PS3's HDD's fault. Anyway, I got used to IRISMAN so I uninstalled webMAN MOD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr