psp slim 2000 what cfw ?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by -=oopeteroo=-, Mar 28, 2011.

Mar 28, 2011

psp slim 2000 what cfw ? by -=oopeteroo=- at 7:20 PM (2,004 Views / 0 Likes) 39 replies

1. -=oopeteroo=-
    OP

Member -=oopeteroo=- GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    have recently bought a psp it comes with a custom firmware 3.71 m33-2.
    want to update it, what firmware should i use ?

how to update ?

2. Kaos_XIII

Newcomer Kaos_XIII Advanced Member

New Zealand
    My PSP 2000's running 5.00M33-6

Works well.

I believe you need the 5.00M33-6 firmware as well as the official 5.00 firmware
    Rename the OFW to 500.pbp put it in the UPDATE folder with the 5.00M33-6 firmware
    Run the M33 firmware update from your XMB
    ????
    PROFIT

I also recommend using Prometheus ISO loader after updating.

I also take no responsibility if you actually take my advice and something goes wrong.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    http://gbatemp.net/t205696-how-to-softmod-your-psp-v3

First go to the 5.03 softmod and start from step 5 (hellcat's) on the PC side, then when you get to the PSP side skip to step 3.

That should get you to M33-6.

Then you can follow the "How to update your (non-HEN) PSP to the latest custom firmware" step.

4. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Wait one sec....i've never seen anyone recommend that before, so either you don't actually mean exactly what you wrote or you do and you're just a trendsetter. Care to clarify exactly what you're recommending here?

5. Rydian

United States
    I think he means just installing the Prome-4 update.

6. clegion

Member clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    But he says Prometheus Iso loader, a hugely different thing compared to the Prometheus addon

7. Rydian

United States
    And people call AKAIO "firmware" even though it's not.

8. Shabutie78

Member Shabutie78 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    but there's a difference, people get kernel and firmware confused because they've never been taught to know the difference between the firmware of a hardware and the kernel.
    but in this case, he must know what prometheus ISO loader is, otherwise he wouldn't know the name >.>
    that or it was a typo.
    anyway, 5.50 GEN/PRO(metheus)>5.00 M33

the only people who recommend 5.00 over 5.50 are sentimental/nostalgic ones who pretend compatability that 5.50 GEN offers and 5.00 M33 lacks is a figment of our imagination.

if you want to be completely stable, i recommend going to 5.00 M33 with hellcat's recovery, and then upgrading to 5.50 GEN-D3, then patching to Prometheus-4.

if you want the latest firmware, or PSN, or comics, or if you're just living on the edge, then go with 6.35 Custom-18, as 6.37 ME-7 is more unstable than 6.35.
    you can always go back to 5.00 without worries using hellcat's recovery. - i'm assuming you have a hackable PSP2000. meaning anything but a TA-088v3 motherboard. if your PSP can create pandora batteries then you're fine. if not, then you might want to confirm you don't have a TA-088v3.

also, 6.35 PRO-B3 is very stable, though it's only a LCFW, meaning you have to re-enable it each time you coldboot your PSP.
    that's actually what i'm using on my PSP2000.

9. jmckutchin

Member jmckutchin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just out of curiousity, is there any benefit to using 6.35 PRO-B3 over a permanent CFW like Gen-D3 with Prometheus-4 (what I currently have now). I've been out of the CFW loop for far too long.

10. Rydian

United States
    Q - Why do people want a 5.x hack over a 6.x hack?
    A - The 6.x hacks do not have full homebrew/plugin/game support (though this is improving over time and may not be an issue later).

11. Shabutie78

United States
    well, the only benefit would be that you're on the latest firmware (6.35 and 6.37 are the same thing, 6.37 just patches a kernel exploit.), you can still go on PSN with 6.35.
    you'd lose compatibility with some plugins, and possibly with pops. ISOs are as stable as GEN-D3 with prometheus, since 6.35 PRO-B3 uses the prometheus ISO loader. that and it's co-created by liquidzigong-the person who created prometheus.

basically, if you don't care about having the latest firmware, stay on GEN-D3.
    if you want the latest firmware, you can try 6.35 Custom-18. though i couldn't get any PSX eboots to load on it nor could i on 6.37 ME-7. and all ISOs patched with prometheus module need to be redumped or re-encrypted.
    that's why i use 6.35 PRO-B3. it's extremely stable, supports all my plugins, all my homebrew, and i'm on the latest firmware. i don't mind taking 10 seconds each coldboot to re-enable the LCFW, since i only coldboot when the psp dies, or homebrew freezes.

fuck dude, i sound like i'm a paid advertiser.

12. xist

United Kingdom
    It supports popsloader now??? And the 1.50 kernel for old homebrew?

13. Shabutie78

United States
    no, not the popsloader plugin. :/
    i meant pops, like psx games in general.
    and no, 1.50 kernel is only supported in PSP phats.

14. KevFan

Member KevFan GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    I thought 6.37 only patches the kernal exploit used in 6.20/6.35 HEN. No mention about a 'TIF' exploit...........

15. Shabutie78

United States
    'tis a typo.

fixt

16. xist

United Kingdom
    Yes, i realise that 1.50 is only 1000's but you're effectively saying M33 is just for fantasists and then saying "but then again my new shiny firmware can't do any of that old fangled stuff".

Popsloader is an essential plugin for many so that alone renders the lcfw intolerable for lots of people.

17. Rydian

United States
    I have to agree that POPSloader is essential for people that want to play PS1 games.

18. xist

United Kingdom
    Gah, i hate your staff perq's of invisible edits....

And GEN-D3 is totally pointless. May as well be on 5.00M33-6 or 5.50 Prome-4 or a LCFW. GEN is redundant.

19. Shabutie78

United States
    like i said. i already said 6.xx CFWs plugins are limited. and for maximum stability, stay on 5.50 GEN.
    also, popsloader isn't exactly needed since PSN PSX eboots work perfectly without popsloaders, and PSN PSX eboots are better than popstation etc eboots in terms of actually working. (whether or not you have the popsloader plugin.)

now you're just trying to argue over petty things :/
    whenever i say 5.50 GEN, i mean 5.50 GEN-D3 with prometheus-4 patch.
    if you read my posts, you'd already know this. (it's kinda obvious).

20. xist

United Kingdom
    GEN fails to address the changes Sony made from 3.80 to the MS access driver. GEN also fails to cover the gamut of older less popular homebrew.

GEN offers nothing these days over M33 as you still need to patch new games. GEN lost features that M33 had but gained the ability to run new games. Those new games are now old games and both firmwares require patched games now.

GEN is redundant, moreso than M33 as it offers less. GEN =/= Prometheus