mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Source
Yeah, this should probably go in USN, but hey.
It's a video of the Sony Ericsson PSP phone.
It may be a fake, but if so, it's a bloody good one.
I want it.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Looks kinda meh, and I'm pretty sure it won't be given the support it deserves. Those hybrids are always a risk, and SHs don't want to invest on them.

We'll see a few first party titles, and some third party ones, and then the support will be dropped dead. I'm SO seeing this going the N-Gage way
smileipb2.png

The only way to save this, would be to price it REALLY aggressively, like $299 max.

D

Deleted_171835

It's not a fake.
Phone looks good! Like raul said, this phone probably won't last long and will suffer the same fate as the N-Gage, though.
mellow.gif

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
raulpica said:
Looks kinda meh, and I'm pretty sure it won't be given the support it deserves. Those hybrids are always a risk, and SHs don't want to invest on them.

We'll see a few first party titles, and some third party ones, and then the support will be dropped dead. I'm SO seeing this going the N-Gage way
smileipb2.png

The only way to save this, would be to price it REALLY aggressively, like $299 max.

Hopefully they'll make the PSP phone exactly that, a Phone that plays PSP games. Don't Sony want to go all 'Digital Distribution'? With the speeds of HSPA connections these days, this seems like logical progression to me.

I can't see this going the way of the N-Gage, Nokia over-hyped the hell out of that knowing full well Piracy would kill 3rd party support. Plus Sony is recognized as a legitimate games console manufacturer, they won't let it fail.

I don't actually like the phone as it is now, but if it ever comes to fruition, there will be a couple of generations of it, I'm sure of that.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
SixtySixHundred said:
Hopefully they'll make the PSP phone exactly that, a Phone that plays PSP games. Don't Sony want to go all 'Digital Distribution'? With the speeds of HSPA connections these days, this seems like logical progression to me.
It has Android on it, and it also has a COMPLETELY different hardware in it, most probably. It WON'T even emulate PSP games, since you'd need really powerful hardware to emulate it.

At most, ports of the games. In that case, people will just buy a cheap PSP, and nobody will even care about the PSP Phone.

QUOTE(SixtySixHundred @ Dec 4 2010, 02:26 AM) Plus Sony is recognized as a legitimate games console manufacturer, they won't let it fail.
lolPSPgo

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
raulpica said:
SixtySixHundred said:
It has Android on it, and it also has a COMPLETELY different hardware in it, most probably. It WON'T even emulate PSP games, since you'd need really powerful hardware to emulate it.

At most, ports of the games. In that case, people will just buy a cheap PSP, and nobody will even care about the PSP Phone.

QUOTE(SixtySixHundred @ Dec 4 2010, 02:26 AM) Plus Sony is recognized as a legitimate games console manufacturer, they won't let it fail.
lolPSPgo

Point taken regarding the PSPgo.

But, if it doesn't play PSP games, it can't be called a PSP phone, wouldn't that be misrepresentation?

EDIT: 'Zeuz Z1' it is!

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
SixtySixHundred said:

But, if it doesn't play PSP games, it can't be called a PSP phone, wouldn't that be misrepresentation?
Well, I guess they could've stuffed the ENTIRE PSP hardware in it just to make it retro-compatible with it... but I dunno, that would make it really costly.

I guess we have to wait and see what happens. They might just propose ports for it.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
shlong said:
Maybe you open the PlayStation application and it boots up the PSP firmware?
You'd still need the PSP hardware, or hardware powerful enough to emulate the PSP. Either way, expensive shit!

Actually, thinking about it, there's some seriously powerful mobile hardware out there these days, I don't think it's such an outrageous idea, having a PSP emulator on a phone. However, I think it's beyond SE's capabilities to make a phone that good!

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
raulpica said:
SixtySixHundred said:

Well, I guess they could've stuffed the ENTIRE PSP hardware in it just to make it retro-compatible with it... but I dunno, that would make it really costly.

I guess we have to wait and see what happens. They might just propose ports for it.
This is why nobody calls it PSP Phone, PlayStation Phone, rather.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Goli said:
raulpica said:
SixtySixHundred said:

This is why nobody calls it PSP Phone, PlayStation Phone, rather.
Right, how could I forget it
tongue.gif
Topic title confused me
tongue.gif

Well, then that means they'll go the N-Gage way, just with a nice PSN AppStore along with it.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
shlong said:
There's now a second video on the site showing the Playstation app
Huh... the background looks a bit too much like that of PSP's XMB.
Maybe you will be able to play PSP games on it...?
Oh well, let's keep referring to it as PlayStation Phone. Misleading title is misleading
closedeyes.gif

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Goli said:
shlong said:
There's now a second video on the site showing the Playstation app
Huh... the background looks a bit too much like that of PSP's XMB.
Maybe you will be able to play PSP games on it...?
Oh well, let's keep referring to it as PlayStation Phone. Misleading title is misleading
closedeyes.gif
The PS3 had almost the same XMB as the PSP, initially, but that didn't mean you could also play PSP games on it!
tongue.gif

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
raulpica said:
The PS3 had almost the same XMB as the PSP, initially, but that didn't mean you could also play PSP games on it!
tongue.gif
I just meant the background... I'm not sure if it even uses the XMB, but it certainly has that wave-y thingy. A bit off-topic but seeing as how they're even porting Dolphin to PS3, a PSP emulator may not be far (The PC PSP emulator has made a lot of progress, maybe it can be ported?), so maybe you WILL be able to play them someday
tongue.gif
. And if we add the fact that the minis were PSP exclusives, but are now playable on PS3...
moogle.gif

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Doesn`t look bad imo. I guess there`s Android on it as the OS?! Never had an Android phone so I can`t really comment on the games on the plattform...

I honestly think Apple would be wise to have a gaming edition of their next version of the iPhone with an extractable d-pad similar to this, since it still cannot compete with Sony and Nintendo in the pure gaming-handheld-space because of it`s control limitation but with the option of having buttons in addition to a touch-screen they could participate in the market in a serious manner rather then having flash-like-games (which are still really fun
biggrin.gif
)...

I`m really surprised, that this kind of phone is first made by Sony-Erickson but maybe Apple doesn`t want to separate their userbase as much as they already have with all their phone-version with big to slight performance- and capability-differences!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.