smile.gif

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd never get a PSP to watch video. First, you need to convert your videos to some ugly proprietary format to watch them... which is, well, time consuming and tideous. Plus the PSP's not able to output video to an external device (tv or whatever) without expensive addons.

The GP2X has a hardware divx/xvid-decoder. Just copy whatever video you want to play and use the media player to play it. Couldn't be easier.

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Not my topic but I wanted to know, what is the video playback like on the GP2X? I'm a bit lazy when it comes to wanting to convert my DIVX into MP4
Not as good as the PSP.
But better
biggrin.gif

I tried my friend's GP2X yesterday, and it is simply amazing.. Ports of famous linux games, And the video quality sure is better than the PSP's(he showed me his psp showing the same video, and I could see the difference)

MiloFoxburr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd never get a PSP to watch video. First, you need to convert your videos to some ugly proprietary format to watch them... which is, well, time consuming and tideous.

Umm.. Thats were 1.50 comes in. If your too lazy to convert them to mp4 and watch in the XMB then you can use either a Media Player (PMP) which afaik still needs conversions but its only a downgrade in resolution. Or you can use PIMPStreamer like I do which allows me to stream any type of media file from my Home PC to my PSP wirelessly, PIMPStreamer will convert the file on the fly and very seldom drops frames anymore.

To be honest I think people would be silly to go for the GP2X with the PSP you get the benefit of a huge homebrew scene and the ability to play new professional games (MGS: Portable Ops
happy.gif
) Hell you can even buy the games if you feel bad about it lol

saosin_demo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Not as good as the PSP.
But better biggrin.gif
I tried my friend's GP2X yesterday, and it is simply amazing.. Ports of famous linux games, And the video quality sure is better than the PSP's(he showed me his psp showing the same video, and I could see the difference)

nice. did u try out some of the emulation? did your friend have any regrets about the gp2x? could it play punch out in the nes emulation? i'm really addicted to that game.

for psp owners: did the punch out game for nes work? no bugs?

paxl13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Euh.. with GpFce... ANY NES Games works flawlessly, at a STEDY 60 frame / sec...

I don't know but if the NES emulator on the psp lags, it'd be realy ugly

PS: PSP Linux is ridiculous at my esteem.. Anyway we need a Toaster taht run linux
biggrin.gif

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
He didn't try out PunchOut specifically, what I tried was Zelda and Mario Bros for NES, Sonic 2-3 on the Genesis, Metal Slug 1-3 on NeoGeo. All working full speed
biggrin.gif
Just be sure to get the TV-OUT cable with it to connect to TV.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Not my topic but I wanted to know, what is the video playback like on the GP2X? I'm a bit lazy when it comes to wanting to convert my DIVX into MP4

drag 'n drop
I was actually wondering if the video quality on the GP2X is on par with the PSP.
You can watch videos on the 2X with perfect quality and the screen is also as good as the PSP one. It has less pixels (320*240, PSP is 480*272) but I read some time ago that the PSP only plays 320*240 videos from Memorystick. No idea if that is still the case. It's not widescreen, which is actually a good thing. No games are widescreen and not many videos either. It's nice that it plays quite a number of videos without converting, too.
The speakers of the GP2X are very loud and quite good, too, so it's even possible to watch videos and listen to music without headphones.
Another advantage of the 2X is that it uses AA batteries. This might seem like old tech compared to the PSPs Li-Ion battery but if you think about it, it's waaay more comfortable: The 2X eats through a pair of (good) rechargables in about 4 hours. That's not much more than the PSP. However, when the batteries run out, you can just pop in another pair! With the PSP you are out of luck or have to bring ugly expensive addon batteries.
The 2X uses SD cards for storage which are now much cheaper and much more universal than Memory Sticks. It's awesome that you can just pop in the SD card from your camera and view the pictures on the bigger screen.
I also like the commercial indie games that are just now starting to appear. Payback was awesome on the GBA but the GP2X version has lots of added graphical candy like HDR lighting. Vektar is a very nice abstract shooter that is quite addicting. Things you can't play anywhere else. Hopefully there'll be much more of this in the future. I'm actually in contact with some developers trying to persuade them to make some awesome original GP2X titles.
cool.gif

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd never get a PSP to watch video. First, you need to convert your videos to some ugly proprietary format to watch them... which is, well, time consuming and tideous.

Umm.. Thats were 1.50 comes in. If your too lazy to convert them to mp4 and watch in the XMB then you can use either a Media Player (PMP) which afaik still needs conversions but its only a downgrade in resolution. Or you can use PIMPStreamer like I do which allows me to stream any type of media file from my Home PC to my PSP wirelessly, PIMPStreamer will convert the file on the fly and very seldom drops frames anymore.

To be honest I think people would be silly to go for the GP2X with the PSP you get the benefit of a huge homebrew scene and the ability to play new professional games (MGS: Portable Ops
happy.gif
) Hell you can even buy the games if you feel bad about it lol

... and in order to run 1.5 you need a non-TA-082 PSP, which aren't manufactured anymore. Oops...

Of course, it's possible to run it in memory using DevHook if you've got a firmware vulnerable to some exploit, but as new PSPs are shipped with 3.0 which atm isn't exploitable it's a no-go.

blueraja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulation on the gp2x is nice but thats all there is. The screen on the psp is nicer for movies, the sound is better and at least there are commercial games available.

The gamepark scene has pretty much peaked, less and less is getting released and there hasnt been anything "wow" in long time.

I have both now, but my gp2x has been gathering dust. I was playing the DS the most but lately I have been playing the psp more than I did now that there are finally some decent games for it.

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Emulation on the gp2x is nice but thats all there is. The screen on the psp is nicer for movies, the sound is better and at least there are commercial games available.

The gamepark scene has pretty much peaked, less and less is getting released and there hasnt been anything "wow" in long time.

I have both now, but my gp2x has been gathering dust. I was playing the DS the most but lately I have been playing the psp more than I did now that there are finally some decent games for it.

Can't say I've seen much development regarding homebrew on the PSP either lately -- a slow/unplayable Playstation emulator is pretty much it... and oh yeah, a way to boot homebrew on 2.80.

Devhook doesn't support firmwares above 2.71, so you won't be able to run games requiring those if you downgrade and plan on using it (apparently, the author's more interested in playing DS games than developing it further
smile.gif
)

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Emulation on the gp2x is nice but thats all there is. The screen on the psp is nicer for movies, the sound is better and at least there are commercial games available.

I have both now, but my gp2x has been gathering dust. I was playing the DS the most but lately I have been playing the psp more than I did now that there are finally some decent games for it.

Can't say I've seen much development regarding homebrew on the PSP either lately -- a slow/unplayable Playstation emulator is pretty much it... and oh yeah, a way to boot homebrew on 2.80.

Devhook doesn't support firmwares above 2.71, so you won't be able to run games requiring those if you downgrade and plan on using it (apparently, the author's more interested in playing DS games than developing it further
smile.gif
)

Spoke too soon, he's already back on the saddle.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
there was already a beta he put around to other sceners testing 2.8x, just wasn't perfect and he got busy playing ds. Way I see it jasonuk and Mathieulhare fairly dependable on insider information. Besides, with the newer games comin out, if it's not booster it's going to be DA with a custom firmware update to support the newer games to overlook the hybrid devhook approach that's flying around right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: man that was some good Chinese takeout