psp or gp2x?

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by saosin_demo, Nov 23, 2006.

Nov 23, 2006

psp or gp2x? by saosin_demo at 12:38 AM (5,745 Views / 0 Likes) 59 replies

1. saosin_demo
    OP

Newcomer saosin_demo Member

Philippines
    I am planning to buy a new handheld. I already have the ds lite. I am having difficulty deciding whether I should get the psp or the gp2x. the gp2x versus psp forums that I have seen seem to be outdated.
    1. what do u guys think I should get?
    2. what are the advantages and disadvantages of these 2 systems?

I've already read about the gp2x on the net, but I would like a comparison on these systems from the owners point of view. many thanks.

2. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    I'd like to know too, particularly in the emulation area. The GP2X seems to have the edge if you're not interested in "real" games. Both look good as far as media playback... I dunno, somebody chime in, this is a good question.

3. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    emuation, go with gp2x, hands down, end of discussion. If you want decent emulation and to play playstation quaity games on the go, get a psp and the ps emulator is here as well...though functional wise it's not exactly up to snuff yet and hasn't been cracked. If your other handheld will be just used to run emulators like cps, mame, gb/gba emulation, snes, master system, neon geo, etc etc blah blah....then gp2x is the obvious choice. However, while the psp is not that great on the emulation scale as gp2x, it certainly gets good emulation for what the hardware allows.....and the plus is you get to play psp/ps1 games. Now it's more of a personal call.

4. saosin_demo
    OP

Philippines
    yup. i'll be using this handheld for emulation. I'm already using some for the ds but there are still bugs in playing nes games. In terms of NES emulation, is the gp2x much better? how about the gp2x's screen? no probs?

5. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    visit the gp2x forums and check out the emulation scene...all there is really. And from what I've seen and read, seems to be near perfect.

6. paxl13

Newcomer paxl13 Member

Canada
    As I own a Gp2x before owning a DS [ Witch is only like 3 weeks old [​IMG] ], I can help you. The GP2X scene for emulation is awesome. The NES is perfect without scaling since the screen is made for emulation, ie 320x240. I juste have seen a PSP at EBGames like some day ago and the load time would discourage me from buying this piece of junk. The GP2x Is a pretty good console, the full speed emulation are :
    - NES
    - GB/GBC
    - PC Engine
    - Neo Geo [ You need a SD 150X ]
    - Mame for a Bunch of game.
    - and I miss a lot

This is realy a good cosole. Me Using it only for emulation as If I want real game I use my DS.

paxl13

7. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Emulation....GP2X, lke everyone's been saying. IF you've got the money to dish out then get a PSP and trust mem they aren't as bad as a lot of people say.

8. MR_COW

Member MR_COW GBAtemp Fan

United States
  9. OG LOCC NESS

Member OG LOCC NESS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well, PSP's are going for really cheap right now (at least at the forums I frequent). $150-$180 shipped for a PSP (1.5 firmware, or at least downgradable) + 1 GB memory stick and a game. At least. The emulation for NES, SNES, Neo Geo, and some other stuff I don't care about is really great. It can play just about every PSP game released out there without any problems, and they can be ripped to make it smaller. It can also play online with many of the good games (Syphon Filter, Medal of Honor Heroes, etc).

I haven't heard too much that's great about GP2x other than it's emulation. Go for PSP. It's probably cheaper, and the emulation is really great (even though I didn't research the GP2, I have to say that it's probably close, considering what everyone else is saying). The games are really cool too. Syphon Filter, Lumines, GTA LCS and VCS, DJ Max Portable.

PSP all the way!!!!!

10. pinbi7

Member pinbi7 GBAtemp Regular

Canada

PSP can do all those things and more

-great library of games for the PSP
    -great emulation (all those mentioned above) + psx(if sony can get their shit together)
    -great homebrew which adds lots of new feature like play video from your pc to your psp,take in game screenshot,send mail,phone txt,tv remote,transerfer data,play avi,pmp,mp4,you can even have your msn messenger on it! and a bunch of other stuff...new release every day! fresh from the oven [​IMG]
    -big wide screen(for an handheld)
    -to tell the truth it's one of the handheld on wich i've seen the best suport so far

11. Extreme Coder

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    GP2x
    runs
    linux.
    Doesn't need any comparison, does it? [​IMG]

12. cenotaph

Member cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

United States
    As a GP2X owner, I'd have to say it depends on what systems you're interested in emulating. The GP2X has the edge when it comes to Genesis and, in particular, Neo Geo emulation.

Genesis is pretty much perfect these days with Picodrive utilizing both cores allowing for full speed at ridiculously low speeds (underclocking to 140 MHz still yields 60 fps with 44.1 kHz sound). From what I know, the PSP Genesis emulator (DGen) still requires overclocking to run certain games at full speed (overclocking reduces battery life).

Neo Geo is also great, with most games running at full speed (60 fps) with sound at 266 MHz or so. I've had many Metal Slug sessions on it and it's quite fabulous. The PSP Neo Geo AES/MVS-emulator is only able to run a handful games, and from what I know it's quite slow as well.

If you're more interested in SNES emulation, go for the PSP. I've only tried Snes9x_TYL myself (I've heard there are supposed to be faster alternatives), but from what I could tell SNES emulation is pretty good (ran Final Fantasy VI at ~45 fps with sound and transparencies). The GP2X is so-so when it comes to SNES emulation. Incredible progress has been made, but some games still run quite slow and the emulator with which most progress has been achieved (in terms of speed) still does not support transparencies (there is one that does, but it's quite slow).

Of course, some of this might be wrong (especially the parts concerning the PSP's performance in regard to emulating various systems) as most of it is based on stuff I've read (I've tried the SNES emulator in person though).

Oh, and as for running homebrew on the PSP, it's a mess, but that's beyond the scope of this post.

13. saosin_demo
    OP

Philippines
    tnx 4 the reps. i'll try to read more about this on the net. i'll have to read em a couple times. [​IMG]. hu knows i might end up buying the both of dem if i can't decide on which is which. haha. i think dat's only going to happen if i can come up wid more cash. if users on both systems have some more info, keep em coming.

14. paxl13

Newcomer paxl13 Member

Canada
    On comment,
    Gp2x run linux [​IMG]
    Psp is made by sony [​IMG],

And Neo-Geo emulation on Psp is not good because of the small ram he has..

Anyway, I'm a little bit sold ot my gp2x [​IMG]

paxl13

15. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Not my topic but I wanted to know, what is the video playback like on the GP2X? I'm a bit lazy when it comes to wanting to convert my DIVX into MP4

16. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    GP2X can plug into your telly, which is nice.

17. MiloFoxburr

Member MiloFoxburr GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    PSP without a doubt

I was intrested in the GP2X but after the homebrew PSP scene really kicked off I havnt looked back

Some of the software for the psp is incredible especially things like PimpStreamer which streams videos from your pc to the psp without you having to convert them first

+ Emulators are getting better and better

And there are quite a few good games coming up for the PSP

18. Bitbyte

Member Bitbyte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    drag 'n drop

19. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I was actually wondering if the video quality on the GP2X is on par with the PSP.

20. pinbi7

Member pinbi7 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    http://www.nuxo.net/article-532-linux-sur-votre-psp.html

it's in french but you get the idea...[​IMG]