PSP n00b - Need Advice

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by TiMeBoMb4u2, Aug 16, 2015.

1. TiMeBoMb4u2
    OP

TiMeBoMb4u2 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 25, 2008
    United States
    I've never owned a PSP, until today. I picked up a PSP (3001) with Version 6.39 System Software, at a garage sale. I'd like to hack it, but have a few questions, first.
    • Should I stick with v6.39, or should I attempt a downgrade?
    • Should I just follow the Softmod Hack Guide, here?
    • Any other advice would be appreciated.

2. masenko

masenko Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2007
    Nottingham, England
    you've got a few option when it comes firmware selection, update to 6.60 and do the temp hack or downgrade to 6.20 and do a permanent hack.
    here a guide to get started with http://wololo.net/cfw4dummies/. Also i would recommend getting a mspro to micro sd adapter because it will be much cheaper flash storage solution then trying to find a mspro.

3. TiMeBoMb4u2
    OP

Oct 25, 2008
    United States
    So, which is better... the perm or the temp?
    I've seen some things about PSPIdent to see if my PSP can be downgraded, but since I'm new, I'm not even sure how to run PSPIdent. Sorry.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Reading the tutorial, it sounds like the temp is the safest and recommended.
    If I go to 6.60, and decide later I'd rather have 6.20, is that still a possibility?

4. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-softmod-hack-your-psp.293978/

Running 6.60 temp just means the hack needs to be re-activated each time you power on the PSP, takes a few seconds then you're good to go. 6.20 permanent does involve a downgrade so 6.6 temp is safer, although its unlikely you'll have problems downgrading.

You can upgrade to 6.60 temp now, then downgrade later if you like. PSPs that shipped with firmware 6.60 can have issues downgrading to 6.2 but yours is on 6.39.
    It's very easy, I downgraded my 2 PSP GO's and installed 6.20 permanent following the guide in the link above. I havnt touched my PSP-1000 for a long while but I think that's on 6.2 also.

After that you can just copy .iso or .cso (compressed ISO) files to X:\ISO on the memory card. Homebrew apps normally go in X:\PSP\GAME

The PSP displays games in the order they were copied, not alphabetically. You can use an app like http://www.qj.net/psp/news/psp-homebrew-psphbsorttool-v40.html to sort the game list how you wish

Last edited by Count Duckula, Aug 16, 2015
  5. TiMeBoMb4u2
    OP

Oct 25, 2008
    United States
    Thanks for the tips, guys!

6. Gordy

Gordy Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2015
    Guy just bought a psp 1000 witch is running on 6.60, want to hack it and found firmware 6.61. I'm a noob at this sort of thing any advice?

7. ceifadorx

ceifadorx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2013
    Brazil
    pro temp firmware is not too bad. You only lose the cfw if you turn off (not stand by) or remove the battery.
    But if you use cfw pro, you can save save fast recovery program in your memory card (included in cfw pro pack), you can be back using cfw very fast (3 or 5 seconds).
    but first you need to install cfw first.