Hacking PSP n00b - Need Advice

TiMeBoMb4u2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never owned a PSP, until today. I picked up a PSP (3001) with Version 6.39 System Software, at a garage sale. I'd like to hack it, but have a few questions, first.
  • Should I stick with v6.39, or should I attempt a downgrade?
  • Should I just follow the Softmod Hack Guide, here?
  • Any other advice would be appreciated.

masenko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you've got a few option when it comes firmware selection, update to 6.60 and do the temp hack or downgrade to 6.20 and do a permanent hack.
here a guide to get started with http://wololo.net/cfw4dummies/. Also i would recommend getting a mspro to micro sd adapter because it will be much cheaper flash storage solution then trying to find a mspro.

TiMeBoMb4u2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, which is better... the perm or the temp?
I've seen some things about PSPIdent to see if my PSP can be downgraded, but since I'm new, I'm not even sure how to run PSPIdent. Sorry.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Reading the tutorial, it sounds like the temp is the safest and recommended.
If I go to 6.60, and decide later I'd rather have 6.20, is that still a possibility?

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-softmod-hack-your-psp.293978/

Running 6.60 temp just means the hack needs to be re-activated each time you power on the PSP, takes a few seconds then you're good to go. 6.20 permanent does involve a downgrade so 6.6 temp is safer, although its unlikely you'll have problems downgrading.

You can upgrade to 6.60 temp now, then downgrade later if you like. PSPs that shipped with firmware 6.60 can have issues downgrading to 6.2 but yours is on 6.39.
It's very easy, I downgraded my 2 PSP GO's and installed 6.20 permanent following the guide in the link above. I havnt touched my PSP-1000 for a long while but I think that's on 6.2 also.

After that you can just copy .iso or .cso (compressed ISO) files to X:\ISO on the memory card. Homebrew apps normally go in X:\PSP\GAME

The PSP displays games in the order they were copied, not alphabetically. You can use an app like http://www.qj.net/psp/news/psp-homebrew-psphbsorttool-v40.html to sort the game list how you wish

Last edited by Count Duckula,

Gordy

Trophies
XP
Country
Guy just bought a psp 1000 witch is running on 6.60, want to hack it and found firmware 6.61. I'm a noob at this sort of thing any advice?

ceifadorx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
pro temp firmware is not too bad. You only lose the cfw if you turn off (not stand by) or remove the battery.
But if you use cfw pro, you can save save fast recovery program in your memory card (included in cfw pro pack), you can be back using cfw very fast (3 or 5 seconds).
but first you need to install cfw first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: gimme