PSP multiplayer questions

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Fel, May 1, 2011.

May 1, 2011

PSP multiplayer questions by Fel at 1:27 PM (1,466 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Fel
    OP

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    I don't have a PSP, though I'm thinking of getting one and I'm wondering how does the multiplayer work compared to the DS.

Can you only battle with people in your vicinity using wireless/ad hoc mode, or can you go and battle online players via wifi well? If yes, is it more stranger-friendly than the DS? As in that you don't have some multiplayer modes/features locked when the online player isn't on your friendslist or something like that.

I've read that the PSP has some kind of an "Ad hoc party" where you connect online with the PS3 and search for other players, but it would be really annoying if you had to have PS3 as well in order to be able to play online with others.

Also, is there some kind of a list of which games can use the online wifi multiplayer? Do popular games like Patapon 3, Monster Hunter and others have it (if PSP has it like the DS and you can use it without PS3)?

2. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    Ad-hoc is for nearby vicinity, Infrastructure is for Online. Some games support either, some games support both. Generally, if it's infrastructure, you'll need a PSN account and PSN access to play.

There are ways to play adhoc games online though, X-Link Kai is an examle. PC program + CFW'd PSP + USB Cable or Compatible Router = Monster Hunter over the internet.

Adhoc party is also one of those ways. It's a function of the PS3, I think it requires PSN access, you connect your PSP to your PS3 and play adhoc games online. Don't know much, don't own a PS3. X-link's enough for me.

A list of games? Hm...Have you checked wikipedia? There's probably a list of PSP games with info whether they have either Adhoc or Infrastructure.

3. Fel
    OP

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    Awesome, thanks! Especially X-Link Kai looks awesome.

I looked at wiki if PSP has a wifi compatability list (like the DS), but since it doesn't I assumed there isn't one. Now I've checked the list of all PSP games and found out it's incorporated into it, however it's not complete as many games have "?" in their infrastructure column. But it's sufficient enough, since I can just use the X-Link instead. [​IMG]

4. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I've wanted to play 3 games online so far, and NONE of them still worked. I'm really disappointed in the fact that the servers of some games are already shut down. Worms Open Warfare 2 is so much fun but the servers are offline --> no online play thanks to THQ who shut the servers down.

N+, little gem I liked so much on the DS --> no online play anymore, they shut it down.

Wipeout Pure. Okay the game is quite old but why the fuck can't you play any more? If I want to play Mario Kart DS online I can do it, right now. That game came out when the DS Lite wasn't even out yet, and it still has online play. I can't believe this shit, so disappointed that a lot of games just have their online gameplay disconnected after 1 year.

5. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    That's what X-link kai replaces, yeah.

6. Lemski07

Newcomer Lemski07 Advanced Member

Philippines
    but dont rely much on xlink if you have no fast connection / compatible pc,router,modem,etc / and you have short patient and importantly you know how to configure settings, like me it took me a quite a long time to really able to connect and play some games which does not require lightning fast connection.