Hacking [PSP] La Pucelle Ragnarok Translation

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It going alright so far... Kinda frustrated by all the effort translating the NPC but hopefully I can use it again someday.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It going alright so far... Kinda frustrated by all the effort translating the NPC but hopefully I can use it again someday.

Airu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's a good option, and you're doing very well. Thanks for your effort.
In psychonauts, at beggining, when i had this probles, i changed the dialog a little bit. I mean, if the line had a limited number of characters, i change the words. For example, the line "i was in a middle school in the city of Chicago", i changed by "I was in a school in Chicago". I don't know if i explain well.
And again, sorry for my bad english.

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I can figure that's frustrating, but sometimes things happen like that, and it's better to adapt. God knows how much work some translators probably go through, just to never have it materialize...

That might be a way to do things, parsing down lines if they're having trouble fitting into the confines of things. As long as the same intention is able to be presented, it's fine.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double posts before.

Maybe I am dealing with a different issue than Airu. The issue I think am dealing with is that you can only have so many bytes in a particular file because there are pointers in the header that have to direct to the text. Those pointers are limited to a particular number and I am going over the limit.

So far the story is going well. I trying to get the tutorial done hopefully today or tomorrow. Things should go faster but I will be "forced" to start playing the game to test the translation which make me very happy to be in this dilemma.

Reactions: xhai and Linka

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, well, I hope you at least enjoy getting to experience the fruits of your efforts. I should make more time to give the game a test run once you have things running-- hopefully by the time you do I'll have gotten through Guided Fate Paradox enough to focus on it. (since. that comes out today.)

Jason X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me know if you need any help testing your patch with the game. I've always wanted to play La Pucelle, and this looks like the perfect excuse.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jason X,

I post most of my patches and I can always use peoples help play testing the game. The main things that is helpful is reporting back here any bugs or typos you may see.

All,
I plan to release a new patch hopefully this weekend. I am about done translating the first chapter in the game.

-ChepChep

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have been playing it and there is a bunch of issues with text going over the side of the text boxes. I am out of space so I need to find a way to delete stuff in the file to fix it. I need to play through Chapter 1 and get to Chapter 2 and see how the files work. I think they might have divided the talk files by chapter and hopefully also the NPC text. I might be able to delete the extra NPC text in all the files if they pull from different files by chapters.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having tons of fun playing the First Chapter. It is amazing how much work it has taken to get it to this place but rewarding seeing the game playable. I had forgotten how unrated and good this game is. It also runs so much faster on the PSP than the PS2. Battles do not seem to drag on like the original.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got some good news. My hunch that they split the talk files by chapters is correct. They also split the NPC and storyline as well. It means I should be able to delete the later chapters from the talk00_jp.dat to make room for the formatted story and also all the NPC flavor text. All I have to figure out what to delete now.

Reactions: Airu

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm this is working. I am adding back in all the NPC text for chapter one. I also found another bug in the toolkit relating to goto commands. It was using 3 bytes when it should have been 2 bytes.

D

Deleted User

Do you think NISA encounters the same problems you do while doing localizations and that is part of the reason many games do not get localized at all?

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt it. I am dissembling the code in hex. I would assume the localization companies have the code.

My understanding is that the toughest part of bringing a game to the west is get all the rights to the game and permission for the music, voices, and etc. I have heard it is a real pain. If you are interested go read the boards at gaijinworks about how tough it was for a small company to localize Class of Heroes 2. It was a mess and took at least an extra year because of the legal issues he ran into.

It also a cost analysis. Can they make enough money going through this whole process? Many games will not sell well here and companies may not feel they can recoup the costs of doing the translation and releasing it.

Reactions: Linka

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have more good news on the translation. The fix for the filesize is working amazingly well. I have translated most of the NPCs and the story for Chapter 1. I plan to have an "official" patch release this weekend with all the various fixes I have made to the toolkit and also the patch for the game. I think I am at version 0.1.0.

Reactions: esmjanus and Airu

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright I have gotten everything translated in Chapter One that I can find in the talk01_jp.dat which includes 95% of the NPC and 100% of the story for Ch 1. The other 5% of the NPC are in talk00_jp.dat which are in in START_JP.LZS and I do not want to tackle that file yet.

I will release the new patch once I have played through Ch 1 again to check for text that flows over the textboxes. Its annoying that I only have 24 characters long for each line and 3 lines per textbox. Anyways should have this done for the weekend.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time for another patch release. Sorry it has taken so long but I had many technical issues to overcome to get this patch working. This patch now includes almost 95% of Chapter 1 into English including the story. There are a few things I have not been able to track down where the Japanese is but my hunch is it is hidden in talk00_jp.dat in the START_JP.LZS.

Follow the instructions below to apply the patch. The patch was made from the UMD version of the game.

LPR_translation_v0.1.0 (Chapter 1, NPC and Story)
1) Acquire PSP La Pucelle Ragnarok ISO (UMD)
2) Download EBOOT.BIN - www.tarranoth.com/LPR/EBOOT.BIN
3) Download START_JP.LZS - www.tarranoth.com/LPR/START_JP.LZS
4) Download SCRIPTPACK.DAT - www.tarranoth.com/LPR/SCRIPTPACK.DAT
5) Backup ISO, EBOOT.BIN, START_JP.LZS, & SCRIPTPACK.DAT
6) Extract files from LPR ISO using UMDGen
7) Replace EBOOT.BIN in \PSP_GAME\SYSDIR\ with the downloaded EBOOT.BIN
8) Replace START_JP.LZS in \PSP_GAME\USRDIR\ with the downloaded START_JP.LZS
9) Replace SCRIPTPACK.DAT in \PSP_GAME\USRDIR\ with the downloaded SCRIPTPACK.DAT
10) Create a new LPR ISO with UMDGen
11) Either use a PSP emulator or download to PSP and enjoy

Note: You must have CFW in order to play the translated ISO on a PSP

If you find any bugs please let me know. I plan to start tackling Chapter 2. Only 11 more chapters to complete. :)

I spent much time trying to fix all the text that might overhang the text boxes in the game. It is possible that I missed some. Please let me know if you find any weird text. Some of it I have not figure out how to fix but anything in the large font I should be able to fix.

Enjoy the patch.
-ChepChep

Reactions: Linka

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh hey, awesome! I'm glad you got something working here! :) I'll download this right now.

Awesome that you figured out what the issue was.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1