PSP Go vs PSP

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by xcrimsonstormx, Jul 20, 2013.

1. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

xcrimsonstormx He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    So which is better in your opinion I debating on getting one and I was wondering what are the pros and cons of each, and which do you own and/or want to own?

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Only pro the PSP Go has is internal storage.
    Major con of it is it's smaller screen.

3. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    Internal storage is nothing special. The real bonus the Go has is the Bluetooth which enables the use of a DS3....something that is essential if you own a Go as it has a horrible form factor.

I've owned 1000, 2000 and Go's and can tell you in a heartbeat that the Go is the worst of the three in my experience.

4. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Actually this is a pro as games look better on the smaller and crispier screen.

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    People still bitch about the prices of official Memorysticks :c

6. xist

Jul 14, 2008
    I'd argue that these days they don't because most people still think adapters are a good alternative. The internal memory the Go offers is nothing special...the Bluetooth is nice, but offered the choice of a Go or a 3000 i'd say that most of the time the 3000 is a better option.

7. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    Yeah but the go is also pocket portable while the 3000 needs a case of some sort or at least you need cargo jeans for it to fit in your pockets.

8. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    I think Guild said it the best. PSP Go if you don't care about UMDs and PSP 3000 if you can't go without a UMD drive. Complaining about the PSP Go controls is bs as you can play just fine and a cheap plastic grip is also an option. Bluetooth however is pretty much useless as playing with a Dualshock 3 controller is a pain and wired headsets are just fine and don't suck up the already limited battery life.

9. xist

Jul 14, 2008
    Well looks like you've made up your mind...congrats on deciding on the worst iteration of the PSP.

10. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    No I'm still debating because the PSP 3000 is cheaper and has a bigger screen there are still a lot of variables that I haven't decided yet I also might consider buying a ps vita like I said in really not sure yet.

11. xist

Jul 14, 2008
    The only real advantage the Go has is Bluetooth. That doesn't make up for it's awful control layout, dodgy nub and shoulder buttons, flimsy construction, proprietary USB, smaller screen and relatively poor battery life.

If you have hands then the Go is not the best option unless you perpetually carry around a DS3.

12. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    PSP Go has internal storage, official save states (only one, but is not deleted when you restore from it as long as you have CFW), PS3 controller support (must be paired via PS3 or computer), and can always use 6.20 Pro and thus have permanent CFW.

13. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    What is DS3? Yeah the big thing I like worth the go is size that's about it if they had a PSP 3000 in that size that's probably what I would get.

14. xist

Jul 14, 2008
    DS3 = Dual Shock 3. Your signature doesn't list a PS3 so it's probably irrelevant.

If that's the case i'd seriously suggest only opting for a Go if you can try one out first and compare how it feels in relation to a standard shaped PSP with the better control layout and sturdier build.

15. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Dualshock 3 controller, aka PS3 controller.

Keep in mind that Go uses M2 memory card, while PSP uses MSPD memory card. M2 is more expensive, rare, and highest capacity is 16 GB.

16. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    Yeah but most go's have built in memory don't they. Yeah I have only had a 1000 model before and it wasn't long I bet a 3000 model is a lot slimmer and portable. Ohh... I do need to update my sig thanks for reminding me I'm getting a 3.55 ps3 next week.

17. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    yup go has a 16 gb built-in memory which i think is enough.

i bought a psp go this week, it is shipped. i also have a ps3 and a ds3 too. i mainly bought it for playing psx games on a handheld device. unfortunately psp is still the best way for playing psx games on a handheld if i am not wrong.

18. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    Is there a hardware difference between the PSP go and PSP 3000?

19. LeonardoF.Matheu

LeonardoF.Matheu GBAtemp Regular

Jan 23, 2012
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    No, let me correct ya: GOOD games look better on smaller screens. Lol

xcrimsonstormx likes this.
  20. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    If you don't mind remove games and add games from PC time to time. I personally just dump all of my games to memory cards and swap them.