Psp Go scanlines?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by noammax, Jul 3, 2009.

Jul 3, 2009

Psp Go scanlines? by noammax at 10:06 PM (3,658 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. noammax
    OP

Member noammax GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    From what I understand, the psp go will have the same enhanced screen as the psp 3000.
    But will sony actually fix the problem that made me decide to pick up a psp 2000 instead (of a 3000)?

Sony *claimed* this was a ''Hardware Feature'' and therefore will not be fixed.

What do you guys think? I dont think they could possibly just ignoring a problem that they know exists. Wait. Would they......?

2. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Sony has proven beyond doubt that they can ignore any sensible plans for any of their hardware and go with the most imbecilic measures. I wouldn't be surprised if they made them worse with the new smaller screen for the PSP Go.

3. noammax
    OP

Canada
    The same, maybe, but worse! I dont think so.

4. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I have the 3000 model and I'm in the camp of calling the scanlines borderline mythical as I really have never noticed them anymore than the 2000 I had(it got wasted on vacation by an asshole in an airplane) unless you hold the screen at the right angle. The visuals are better with sharper output, more vivid colors, and the refresh is quicker too. If the PSP Go uses this or an even nicer screen, all the better, but the unit itself is a flaming ripoff and gimped lacking the UMD drive so they can hose more cash out of people and cut the possibility of sales and used games out of the mix.

5. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    I've never seen the 3000's screen, but all I know is the previous models had a totally lame refresh rate. So unless those scanlines are REALLY bad, I think it's a decent tradeoff for an otherwise-improved screen.

But then again, I wouldn't even know, so...

...I guess this whole post is useless, in a way.

Hmm.

6. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    I agree too. I don't see why everyone is bitching about the 3000's screen. I don't see any flickering, scanlines, or anything else of the sort. It may be the luck of the draw or something, but I've got a sharp, crisp display with a nice anti-glare.

And yes, the PSP Go is gonna be Sony's worst move yet. It's lacking in both hardware (UMD) AND appearance, and in my opinion could possibly be very flimsy due to the slide feature to uncover the buttons.

7. noammax
    OP

Canada
    Yes, I agree that the psp 3000s screen isnt really as bad as some web sites make it seem, but I would not say that psp go is a bad move for sony. Think about it, whens the last time you have seen a dude that is carrying around a walkman or portable cd player.? MP3/MP4 players are all we usually see these days.
    This is sonys biggest step towards the new media lifestyle: Vitual.

As for the hardware, I beg to differ again. I have seen a lot of psps with fallen of analog nubs.
    The sliding screen will protect that.
    The flimsy thing, well Im not so sure.... I agree that if you do what your not supposed to be doing, it could break, but seriously?! How many of you have had sliding cell phones that fell apart?!

IMO the psp go looks very nice to me. If I pick one up when it comes out, I will let you guys know what I think.

8. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    I don't know, noammax. With anything, if you treat it properly, it won't break. Or at least, not as easily as if you were rough with it. Analog nubs can break from pocket carriage, which is why you should use a backpack or something. Or a looser pocket. Sure, the sliding screen will protect the controls, but that makes the screen the primary thing susceptible to scratches and smudges. Sure, virtual is the way to go for media these days, but don't forget that you still see DVD and Blu-ray players out there still. DJs still use vinyl if they're worth their salt, and most car stereos play CDs or DVDs, although most these days have satellite radio or iPod jacks. So as you can see, media isn't all digital yet, and personally I wouldn't want it all to be digital. To me, it just wouldn't seem right.

9. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    PSP Go = Expensive, under featured and awkward slab of rubbish. Since the screen is getting smaller the problems could get worse, although i agree it is unlikely.

Why bother getting a more expensive version of a PSP when you're restricting yourself to games Sony want to make available to you and without the luxury of sale prices. A UMD game collection for your PSP 3000 from ebay, trading forums or sales is going to be far cheaper than the equivalent for the Go, so in essence you'll be paying out more for less "product".

10. halljames

Member halljames GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I will only probably upgrade to a PSP Go, when there is something that it can do that my PSP 3000 cannot do. I cant imagine what that would be thought. Not interested in Blue Teeth.

Also, I have owned a PSP 1000, a PSP 2000, and now a PSP 3000, and in my opinion, the screens have simply got better and better. I have never ever noticed any problems with scan lines or refresh rates in any of the PSP's. But the new PSP 3000 screen is really really good.

11. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Yeah right now the biggest issue I see with the PSP GO is its ludicrous price. Sony are insane to bring out such an overpriced handheld considering the state of PSP gaming at the moment.

12. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I think the reason why Sony added the scanlines was because it was a power saving feature or something. The DSi actually has them too, and I haven't seen anyone complaining. Makes no difference to me.

13. noammax
    OP

Canada
    @halljames: I have to say, after playing gta on my 2000 for 5 mins. and my friends 3000 I could definetly see a difference. It wasnt such a big difference but still a diffirence for the better and the slightly worse. I dont want to get flamed by you 3000ers but the scanlines were pretty noticable, but they werent distracting really.

@Dabomb1: Ummmm.... your source ? I dont think the scanlines have anything to do with the power. Also, I own a dsi myself and I Do not see any scan lines at all. Nice try though....

14. GentleFist

GentleFist Newbie

actually i like the psp go. i love the design and the umd drive with its noise sucked anyway
    but if it doesnt get hacked its useless i guess

and sony is always right if sony was a religion id join in

15. noammax
    OP

Canada
    lol. Yah, if psp go is hacked that would be amazing! 16gb plus of memory!!! [​IMG]

This just in: My psp 2000s screen just randomly multifunctioned. Damn, if its not under warrenty than Im in trouble. Doesnt matter that much though, cause I used all my presidents choice points on it, and got it for 4 bucks! 4 bucks! If its still under warrety then its off to sony. If not, Im off to EB games on Oct. 1st

16. kenyab2009

Member kenyab2009 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i dunno but i think that it will b cool not having umds and all but the hardware...hmmm what could they mean i jus hope that it can still have custom firmware [​IMG]

17. Da-Bomb1

Canada
    ...and if neither, you can just replace it yourself.

18. noammax
    OP

Canada
    I still dont know if what your seeing on your dsi are scanlines.
    By the way, the link doesnt work....

''...and if neither, you can just replace it yourself.''

Replace what?

19. Da-Bomb1

Canada
    Um. The screen.

And this link should work.

20. noammax
    OP

Canada
    I guess I wasnt being specific enough, there seems to be some internal problem with the scree; there are no cracks. I turn it on, and the screen starts getting those weird lines going down in different colours.

EDIT: The link works this time, but the video was removed!