PSOne Modchip for the Parallel Port...

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Beige, May 10, 2011.

May 10, 2011
  1. Beige
    OP

Member Beige GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm planning on buying a PSOne very soon, gonna be searching for one that has the Parallel port. My question being what is the better solution for a mod (Backups & Region Free) that goes through the Parallel Port?

2. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    PSOne does not have parallel ports. PlayStation consoles before (1999?) had them. Can't recall if there were any that allowed backups without switching the disc out.

3. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniacâ„¢

United States
    I have a Playstation that has a chip (Have NO idea which it is, got it from a friend) that doesn't need to to switch discs out.

4. dilav

United States
    Are we talking about a modchip, or those game enhancer/cheat device that goes in the parallel port?

5. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniacâ„¢

United States
    Modchip. straight up 1999 SCPH-9001 model "pop any disc in and play" modchip. I got it for free so I wouldn't have to keep damaging my PS2 with the swap disc trick for PSX games lol. Persona 2 Innocent Sin is great. [​IMG]

If worse comes to worse comes to worst, I can open the sucker up and try to find what chip it is if it's special, and post a video. Also, my PS has no Parallel Port, only has serial, AV multi, and Power input.

Is there something special about it?

6. dilav

United States
    I was referring to those parallel port mods (as this is what the OP is focusing on). Most if not all PS1 chips do not require any disc swaps. If you take it apart you will probably find a PIC12C508 or something similar.

SCPH-900x and later did not have the parallel ports. I am not very knowledgeable about them, but to play backups I've read a original game must be in, then switch out to a copied one. If this is a case Breaker Pro boot disc may be a choice too if old cheat codes is not a concern. A stealth modchip would be the best obviously.

7. jinnpan

Member jinnpan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have a SCPH-9001 for sale
    Stealth Chip
    Color Correction mod
    OverClock Mod with Switch [StockOC]
    Metal Hub Spindle [Best Spindles for the PSX]
    Blue power LED
    Blue LED when in OC Mode
    Blue LED A/V port

side vent has minor damage, no damage to mobo or PSU

System ONLY

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. MSaki

Member MSaki GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you want get a modchip for the Parallel port on the PSX buy an old action replay, xplorer or gameshark plug it in use the swap trick to get a disk named x-flash to work then flash it with zippy rom to allow backups and homebrew (you put in your original disk close or hold down the lid sensor then it will stop swap it for the backup then tap launch game and your playing.

(using the x-flash builder you make an iso full of roms for the cheat carts that use the Parallel port this is used to flash the cart with the said rom)

http://www.murraymoffatt.com/playstation-xplorer.html

Iv got 4 psx 3 that have a Parallel port (2-7501, 1-1001, 1-5001)

Just trying to help MSaki