Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Vampant said:
i dont have one but does it make your phone useless?

There are a few issues that need to be worked on with the Android port. Wifi isn't working and also usb mass storage won't work with the modified kernel. It's still early days so I'm sure these will be fixed. Everything else works fine.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
why don't they port it to something more easy instead of all these over expensive phones/devices?

The device has to be able to be in USB slave mode. So you can't do this on any computer/laptop/netbook. Since all smartphones have to act as USB slave devices they are an ideal platform to get this stuff working. Since the most prevelant working version is based on Linux, only devices that have Linux support/hacks are being tried, which by definition makes them pretty obscure
smile.gif

Currently the easiest way is to hack the kernel of a linux device to act like the PSJailbreak. All devices so far have been accomplished by building a kernel module for their specific USB controller.

Since each controller needs to be attacked individually, there won't be an "Android App" for all Android devices.

The PSP version has hit some kind of wall because the CPU can't change the addresssing of the USB devices, which is required for the PSJailbreak to work.

I also just read the often joked about TI-84 version is actually close to being released! I guess all the MIT nerds in my back yard can now rejoice.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65443

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
doyama said:
Bladexdsl said:
why don't they port it to something more easy instead of all these over expensive phones/devices?

The device has to be able to be in USB slave mode. So you can't do this on any computer/laptop/netbook. Since all smartphones have to act as USB slave devices they are an ideal platform to get this stuff working. Since the most prevelant working version is based on Linux, only devices that have Linux support/hacks are being tried, which by definition makes them pretty obscure
smile.gif

Currently the easiest way is to hack the kernel of a linux device to act like the PSJailbreak. All devices so far have been accomplished by building a kernel module for their specific USB controller.

Since each controller needs to be attacked individually, there won't be an "Android App" for all Android devices.

The PSP version has hit some kind of wall because the CPU can't change the addresssing of the USB devices, which is required for the PSJailbreak to work.

I also just read the often joked about TI-84 version is actually close to being released! I guess all the MIT nerds in my back yard can now rejoice.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65443

It was never a joke.

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
I enjoy reading about this every day, shows just how screwed Sony finally became.
The PS3 has got to be the console with the most available options on which device you would like to hack it with
tongue.gif

girugamarc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SnAQ said:
I enjoy reading about this every day, shows just how screwed Sony finally became.
The PS3 has got to be the console with the most available options on which device you would like to hack it with
tongue.gif
You can hack the Wii with a lot more things than you can the PS3, at least so far.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
girugamarc said:
SnAQ said:
tongue.gif
You can hack the Wii with a lot more things than you can the PS3, at least so far.
yeah, like

> an sd card/bannerbomb
> an sd card/a game
> an sd card/a diff game

so much variety
ohmy.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
doyama said:
The device has to be able to be in USB slave mode. So you can't do this on any computer/laptop/netbook. Since all smartphones have to act as USB slave devices they are an ideal platform to get this stuff working.
[...]
Just to confirm, can I get sources?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mercluke said:
girugamarc said:
SnAQ said:
tongue.gif
yeah, like

> an sd card/bannerbomb
> an sd card/a game
> an sd card/a diff game

so much variety
ohmy.gif
+1 lol

we already have news of some awesome emu's currently being ported, ps2 and dc
those 2 pretty much put the whole homebrew scene of the wii to shame

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Bladexdsl said:
ps2 emulation isn't even perfect on the pc yet so what makes you think it'll be better on a ps3? and don't bother saying it's more powerful
tongue.gif
because the gamepad looks the same
it HAS TO work better now

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
doyama said:
The device has to be able to be in USB slave mode. So you can't do this on any computer/laptop/netbook. Since all smartphones have to act as USB slave devices they are an ideal platform to get this stuff working.
[...]
Just to confirm, can I get sources?

In terms of the USB slave mode question, that's been address in Kakaroto's FAQ of the original N900 PSFreedom

http://kakaroto.homelinux.net/tag/psfreedom/

Q: Will it work from a linux PC ?
A: Unfortunately, no, most PCs have a USB controller that only supports Host mode, but you need Slave mode to be able to make this work.

This explains why no desktop Linux port has been made despite PSFreedom being a Linux based hack.

In regards to the PSP version. There's definitely a lot of 'noise' in the thread but the consensus, so far, is that while they have the usb hub working, the addressing problem still exists, which might make a PSP version impossible. Of course this is the synopsis from people translating Spanish forums
tongue.gif

http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65216

Of course this could change, as has a lot just in the past week or so with other PSGroove ports. But unless some kind of breakthrough is made it seems the PSP version is dead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1