Hacking PSA: The upcoming kernel exploit works on ALL firmware versions!

FusionGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting tired of people coming into the Hacking Discussion thread and asking "what firmware is supported". It's annoying especially when the answer they seek has been posted on nearly every damn page of the thread.

PSA #1: The upcoming kernel exploit will work on ALL public firmwares! Meaning All firmware up until 5.3.2.

PSA #2: The upcoming browser exploit will work on selective versions. However, the bug is "available" on 5.3.2. The existing browser exploit will work on 1.0.0 to 5.1.0 if it's ported. (Via Reply #11)

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually it turns out that the browser exploit we have in the works may not work on really old firmwares. However, our old one can likely be backported, if people actually care about that (and they shouldn't).

That's actually kind of important to know. What's the lowest firmware it supports (for people who buy new Wii Us)

FusionGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually it turns out that the browser exploit we have in the works may not work on really old firmwares. However, our old one can likely be backported, if people actually care about that (and they shouldn't).

So the Kernel exploit works on all version and the browser exploit doesn't work on really old firmware? Just clarifying.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the Kernel exploit works on all version and the browser exploit doesn't work on really old firmware? Just clarifying.

The kernel exploit bug should be there in all versions. Our old browser exploit likely works on everything from 1.0.0 to 5.1.0 if we port it. The new one is gaining progress, with tests currently being done on 5.0.0, but the bug is certainly present on 5.3.2. But practically, there's no reason to care about old versions.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The kernel exploit bug should be there in all versions. Our old browser exploit likely works on everything from 1.0.0 to 5.1.0 if we port it. The new one is gaining progress, with tests currently being done on 5.0.0, but the bug is certainly present on 5.3.2. But practically, there's no reason to care about old versions.
So this new exploit is completely offline?

I'm updating today if we are 100% safe on 5.3.2 (i'm on 5.2.0 from the smash disc)

I want to download some game patches and dlc so badly anyway.

FusionGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks, I've added a second PSA detailing the browser exploit.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So are the 2 exploits needed together for it to work? Or are they independent and achieve different things?

The browser exploit just gets us code execution in userspace. It's required to run the kernel exploit, but aside from that, there's no dependency. They do work together, but they do different things.

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended