• The user, not using an open sorce CFW

Votes: 147 38.0%

• Total voters

Blueie

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I don't have the time to read all 27 pages. So could you people please tell me whether it's perfectly safe to update to the latest GW launcher and upgrade the emuNAND to the latest firmware if you have an O3DS and an official GW card? Thank you.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't have the time to read all 27 pages. So could you people please tell me whether it's perfectly safe to update to the latest GW launcher and upgrade the emuNAND to the latest firmware if you have an O3DS and an official GW card? Thank you.
Yeah.
These bricks happen only to people using clones (DSTWO+, in this case)

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Just use CFW or Gateway. If you're using a clone, you're asking for trouble. Title is super misleading.
Not really. If you use a clone using someone else's coding, you're asking for trouble. It's bullshit that supercard can't manage another system to use their product without using their emulations

Reactions: mznova

mznova

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really. If you use a clone using someone else's coding, you're asking for trouble. It's bullshit that supercard can't manage another system to use their product without using their emulations
That's the thing. Most clones are clones because they can't make their own product. They just try to copy existing hardware with the cheapest parts and hope it supports future code the original manufacturer ships out.

Reactions: Ruby Gloom

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What all this really means is that the "emulator" that runs the Gateway stuff on Supercard is either not an emulator after all or it is not doing a good job of 1:1 emulation, which should be able to fool any GW brick code into thinking it is a legitimate Gateway cart.

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What all this really means is that the "emulator" that runs the Gateway stuff on Supercard is either not an emulator after all or it is not doing a good job of 1:1 emulation, which should be able to fool any GW brick code into thinking it is a legitimate Gateway cart.

An emulator is not a 1:1 reproduction. Emulation, by nature, is an approximation. All the DSTwo+ does is provide an environment capable of running GW's code. Not an actual GW.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An emulator is not a 1:1 reproduction. Emulation, by nature, is an approximation. All the DSTwo+ does is provide an environment capable of running GW's code. Not an actual GW.
this is correct, however the emulation (if it is actually using any) should be approximate enough for Gateway's code to not be able to tell the difference if they reverse engineered their hardware enough before making their own cart. By 1:1, I am referring to the emulator being able to fool Gateway's code into thinking it is running on a genuine Gateway cart.

Last edited by driverdis,

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is correct, however the emulation (if it is actually using any) should be approximate enough for Gateway's code to not be able to tell the difference if they reverse engineered their hardware enough before making their own cart. By 1:1, I am referring to the emulator being able to fool Gateway's code into thinking it is running on a genuine Gateway cart.

I'm sure that Supercard had no intention of making their emulator accurate. They wanted to quickly capitalize on the new "3DS ROM capability" that Gateway had, and incorporate it into their already functional DS card. Even if they wanted to make something accurate, making a "1:1" emulator is difficult unless they outright copied the hardware (At which point, it's just a clone). Supercard just wanted to continue selling their device, and figured adding some kind of 3DS support (Even if it just amounted to running another device's software) was required to keep them relevant. The point, I guess, is that little to no effort was put into making this emulator (Beyond making it work at a very basic level).

Last edited by Townsperson,
D

Deleted-236924

I'm sure that Supercard had no intention of making their emulator accurate. They wanted to quickly capitalize on the new "3DS ROM capability" that Gateway had, and incorporate it into their already functional DS card. Even if they wanted to make something accurate, making a "1:1" emulator is difficult unless they outright copied the hardware (At which point, it's just a clone). Supercard just wanted to continue selling their device, and figured adding some kind of 3DS support (Even if it just amounted to running another device's software) was required to keep them relevant. The point, I guess, is that little to no effort was put into making this emulator (Beyond making it work at a very basic level).
To be honest they can stay relevant just by being the best DS flashcard. Make a new revision with even stronger CPU and even more ram, kinda like they did for the DSTwo+, except maybe they could have made it even stronger, and without the 3DS rom capability.
Then that would work on latest firmware 3DS, hopefully near 100% fullspeed GBA emulator if they gave it enough power, and pretty good SNES emulation, while also playing all DS games.
I think that would keep it relevant. They could also find other uses for the extra CPU other than just GBA/SNES emulators, lol.

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest they can stay relevant just by being the best DS flashcard. Make a new revision with even stronger CPU and even more ram, kinda like they did for the DSTwo+, except maybe they could have made it even stronger, and without the 3DS rom capability.
Then that would work on latest firmware 3DS, hopefully near 100% fullspeed GBA emulator if they gave it enough power, and pretty good SNES emulation, while also playing all DS games.
I think that would keep it relevant. They could also find other uses for the extra CPU other than just GBA/SNES emulators, lol.

I agree. With CFW, 3DS ROM support is useless, and nothing that GW (Or DSTwo+ GW simulator...) offers warrants the price. I would much rather they stick with making a better DS flashcard, but that's not going to happen. I don't think the original DSTwo had much development over the years, so I doubt much will happen with the "+" or any new variants.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I agree. With CFW, 3DS ROM support is useless, and nothing that GW (Or DSTwo+ GW simulator...) offers warrants the price. I would much rather they stick with making a better DS flashcard, but that's not going to happen. I don't think the original DSTwo had much development over the years, so I doubt much will happen with the "+" or any new variants.
useless you say? it plainly more convientyent since you dont nedd to install everything even through you just wanna test a game or so.

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
useless you say? it plainly more convientyent since you dont nedd to install everything even through you just wanna test a game or so.

If you don't pirate (Or just pirate to a reasonable extent, rather than downloading every game because you can...), it is completely useless. CIAs don't take long to install, rxTools has the added bonus of autobooting with Menuhax, and all other features are nearly identical (Or comparable). It's up to you whether or not the GW is worth the price, but to most people, CFW is more than enough, and is absolutely free.

The actual point here was that, since CFW covers the 3DS game side of things, a DS flashcard offers more to your system than a 3DS flashcard does.

Reactions: Hayleia

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
even an out of region demo with around 500mb takes up to 10 miinutes just to install. this isnt really practicable.
And i have an class 10 card so speed shouldnt be an problem.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably next pay I'll get a DsTwo+ and I'll play like normal and hope I'll get a brick. Then send it off to hundshamer.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even an out of region demo with around 500mb takes up to 10 miinutes just to install. this isnt really practicable.
Thats takes way less time for me but I have a 64GB Sandisk Extreme UHS [3] card.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Probably next pay I'll get a DsTwo+ and I'll play like normal and hope I'll get a brick. Then send it off to hundshamer.
Good luck with that
It looks like they now display a message when they detect DSTWO+

I guess anyone with DSTWO+ now using Gateway cannot say they didn't know anymore, as this clearly says it all :rofl2:

Ab58jqH.png

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Another thing remember you can close the lid during the install and go about your business.

D

Deleted-236924

Also rofl if DSTwo shows up as Alex Rider Stormbreaker DS game when inserted and in GW mode before selecting a 3DS game that makes it easy as hell for GW to detect it rofl.
Just check what game is inserted in the Slot-1 and boom. Probably doesn't matter if someone would actually have a legit alex rider ds game cartridge because honestly who actually has that game and actually plays it, lol.
The people who genuinely would have that game wouldn't really have a GW so eh.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Xenon Hacks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Jayro @ Jayro: Thanks for that bundle, I had the games already but got all the DLC for them for just $5. What a... +1