PS5 no power, not turning on, short on 12volt rail, help please.

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I picked up a cheap faulty ps5 locally, deciding to up my skills from Switch's!

So where I am at, it does not turn on, no beeps, nothing, dead.

I test the power supply and get 12 volts so know that works, when I test the power rails on the PS5 when plugged in (checked online for where to check) I get no readings, no volts, just everything on the 12v rail shows as short.

I found some capacitors that show as shorts around the area and injected 1.5v to see if it shows any hot spots, nothing showed so upped it to 2.0v and still nothing gets hot? I do not really want to go much higher in case something gets fried.

Any ideas on what I should be looking for/testing please, looking to learn but struggling to find the exact same issue as me anywhere online.

Thanks

rambonz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
You can remove a large inductor (R22H) on the other side of the board (in approximately the same location as the 12v mosfets) to isolate and check for continuity to ground on the other rails. 5v rail by F7002. Then if your 12v rail is still short check the MOSFETs on the 12v rail under the putty. There are 8 of them (or was it 6 I can't remember). Working in this area requires a fair amount of care. I suggest heating from below and removing the 220uF electrolytic caps first if you go this route. Remove the MOSFETs 1 by 1 if you cannot reliably test them.

It would help if you also listed what board revision you have. This will look like EDM-010 on side B of the board.

Video below just for location reference.

Reactions: JuanMena

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, I am thinking it's around the mosfet area, not sure what readings I should get from a faulty mosfet, possibly it's just shirts through? but was looking at just removing them one by one to find the issue.

rambonz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
If I remember correctly a working one around pin 1 was like 430-ish in diode mode. I personally ended up pulling mine 1 by 1. Check for heat first with the putty removed though you might be able to identify which one it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1