PS4 users claim that dangerous messages are causing systems to lock up and crash

5388900_sd.jpg

It appears that PlayStation 4 users might need to quickly go tweak their system settings, due to a newly uncovered "hack" in the form of corrupted private messages. Hundreds of users have reported that upon receiving a weird message in their PS4's message inbox, their consoles would freeze up, and not do anything, requiring a full factory reset in order to function again. This glitch can happen to anyone that allows messages from "everybody", so it's highly recommended that for now, you should set messages to friends only. Those unlucky enough to experience the problem find that upon getting the message, their system won't connect to their controller, and if they try to force the system to go back to the menu, it'll still crash when signing into their account. Sony hasn't said anything in regards to the matter at this time.

Even deleting the message from the mobile app doesn’t work. It happened to me during Rainbow Six: Siege. A player from the other team used a dummy account to send the message and crashed my entire team. We all have had to factory reset. Only one of our guys wasn’t affected and he has his messages private. Do this ASAP to prevent this from happening to you.

This just happened to me during Rocket League. Got a message then after a minute my controller stopped working and everything went silent. Now I can’t access the home menu. It just goes to the ‘Report Problem’ screen every time

You can protect yourself from such problems if you go to settings, account management, privacy settings, and then personal info/messaging.

:arrow: Source

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Companies need to be more mindful of the dangers of Unicode or go back to ASCII.

Companies have screwed up ASCII (the whole \0 in certs to misrepresent a domain). As much as I agree companies should be mindful, Unicode is really hard to do right. Long ago companies should have realized that certain standards are particularly difficult to do right and created BSD (or similar) licensed libraries to greatly reduce the risks involved. Of course, that'd require the sort of vision that I don't think most companies* or government seems to have.

* For a while Google seemed to be going that way. Then they decided to just go full evil. *shrug* That's companies for you.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is what happens when we adopt a ridiculous font standard with a bunch of nonsense emoticons to appease the normies who want to send stupid pictures to eachother all day long. Here's a thought, if the message contains a character outside of the expected codespace, just display a square like everybody else - job done.

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is what happens when we adopt a ridiculous font standard with a bunch of nonsense emoticons to appease the normies who want to send stupid pictures to eachother all day long. Here's a thought, if the message contains a character outside of the expected codespace, just display a square like everybody else - job done.

This makes me remember of a very old thing (3 years ago or so) of a guy that set his computer's passwords with emojis and were unable to unlock his computer afterwards. But really, as much expressive as emojis or really anything out of the normal characters are, they are literally very dumb and barely goes used for something of value. It baffles me people use them as often as they do, but that's just my opinion. I like to stick with the basic (: ): or maybe some particular emojis i find funny.

Rabbid4240

i dont know
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These kinds of bugs happen like every week. And I've seen much worse. Eve Online released an update that deleted the boot.ini file in your PC, there was a glitched doll in the Sims that acted like a virus, we all know about the PlayStation Underground incident, the Steam Client on Linux could accidentally wipe out your entire fucking hard drive because of a typo.

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
These kinds of bugs happen like every week. And I've seen much worse. Eve Online released an update that deleted the boot.ini file in your PC, there was a glitched doll in the Sims that acted like a virus, we all know about the PlayStation Underground incident, the Steam Client on Linux could accidentally wipe out your entire fucking hard drive because of a typo.

I absolutely remember the The Sims haunted doll one LOL
It apparently was an accident when the creator was trying to make a custom content doll and if you put it on any lot it will spread to all your saves and every single other lot you touch, if you share it using the online tool to upload it to EA's website, it will attach itself to it and if anyone download they will get the doll too. It was crazy.

But though, this kind of glitch was years ago. We are in very recent years, Sony should've not let this happen at all. And it's a big problem to see that it affects the console so much at the point of leaving it basically unusable.

Reactions: Itzumi

Rabbid4240

i dont know
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But though, this kind of glitch was years ago. We are in very recent years, Sony should've not let this happen at all. And it's a big problem to see that it affects the console so much at the point of leaving it basically unusable.
Neither should Apple xddddd

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

what the fuck? When was that? I never heard about that.
i dont think it was a typo, it was probably a programming glitch

Reactions: Itzumi and Vieela

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sounds like you're remembering suicide Linux wrong.

Reactions: Itzumi

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sign in to psn with the ps messaging app. Delete messages from anyone you don’t know. Also leave any groups people added you to without asking with the psn app.Than go into privacy settings through the messaging app. Sign on to psn and change messaging to friends only. I just did this. Easy away to avoid glitch messages if you already received them.

Reactions: crazy_p and haxan

haxan

Trophies
XP
Country
Wait, there's spambots and stuff on ps4?
I remember getting bunch from "single girls that are looking for fun" that would never respond to anything related to what I'm saying. honestly how can you look for fun if you're already on a gaming system ??? And why if someone is really looking for "fun" would look for it on a God damn ps4 LOL

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, it's so stupid that this kind of things still happen with just random messages...
Yeah. Been happening frequently (like with WhatsApp and iPhone's messaging app) no idea what's the science behind it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them