Hacking PS4 5.xx Rest mode Kernel exploit revealed

Will you update your ps4?

• Total voters

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Really stupid to release this before 5.50 was out.

Technically he didn’t release anything, he merely showed off a bit making people aware, and as has been said he was already sitting on the exploit for 2 years, how much more waiting is necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted-355425

The guy behind this said on twitter he kept it because sony has no hackerone style bounty program lol.

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Really stupid to release this before 5.50 was out.

The only thing that is stupid is to NOT release stuff for fear of the next update. If everyone thought that way, then nothing would be accomplished!

Have you see how people are rallying around the 4.05 exploit? While still early in it's stages, this new scene is on fire with everyone sharing, pitching in and helping out. With-holding knowledge results in a stagnated community and does absolutely nothing other than provide another failed opportunity at growing the scene.

Reactions: peteruk

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How much towards completion do you guys feel this is? I feel like this is just one of those things that a developer announces but we don't hear about again until years later.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How much towards completion do you guys feel this is? I feel like this is just one of those things that a developer announces but we don't hear about again until years later.
There is literally no way of knowing unless someone actively working on it decides to give us an update (which isn't going to happen).

Reactions: rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

As @Pedeadstrian said, you never know when

As @Pedeadstrian said, you never know when stuff will get released but I do know there is a working 5.xx exploit already with the same functionality as the 4.05 exploit and then some other promising things like the rest exploit. Only time will tell.

What I would do (and did) is pick up a second console that is at or lower than 4.05 fw just for exploits and keep your other console online and up to date.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I would do (and did) is pick up a second console that is at or lower than 4.05 fw just for exploits and keep your other console online and up to date.
What I did too, but I haven't opened it because I've been hoping that my current PS4 Pro at 5.05 will be exploitable relatively soon. It was different with the PSTV that I use as my "legit" Vita since it cost me less than $30, but two PS4s is a much different story.

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As @Pedeadstrian said, you never know when

As @Pedeadstrian said, you never know when stuff will get released but I do know there is a working 5.xx exploit already with the same functionality as the 4.05 exploit and then some other promising things like the rest exploit. Only time will tell.

You made it seem so easy: “pick up a second console.” I don’t have that kind of luxury (not many people do) and struggled enough to get my first console.

Don’t get me wrong, but that’s a pretty stupid thing to do. If I had the money to get a second console, I’d go buy a switch instead. A second ps4? Friends/family (including myself) would think I’m crazy. Not worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: eugenwollekneul

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If there are so many exploits floating around for 5.XX firmware then why not release one of them? Of course I bet the rest mode exploit is already patched by Sony right now.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there are so many exploits floating around for 5.XX firmware then why not release one of them? Of course I bet the rest mode exploit is already patched by Sony right now.
Because devs nowdays are sellouts...
The exploit basically was released. There's a difference between an exploit and an actual tool that uses the exploit to load pkgs and whatnot with. @vpikhur isn't a homebrew dev.

Reactions: rednekcowboy

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The exploit basically was released. There's a difference between an exploit and an actual tool that uses the exploit to load pkgs and whatnot with. @vpikhur isn't a homebrew dev.
OK I see so devs took about two months to come with a functional 4.05 exploit implementation after team overflow presentation.
Hopefully we will get an equivalent implementation for Rest mode exploit soon (TM)

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OK I see so devs took about two months to come with a functional 4.05 exploit implementation after team overflow presentation.
Hopefully we will get an equivalent implementation for Rest mode exploit soon (TM)

Expect it to take a while longer, the only thing I took away from the article was that the developer made people aware of the existince of said exploit, with the video providing proof. People will have to rediscover said exploit before being able to utilize it. Good news is with the recent 4.05 developments, a lot of new people are able to look into this.
I’d say give it a month and we’ll have something concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: depaul

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So get on lowest stay on lowest ?
That's always what you should do when it comes to CFW/"backups." Currently the highest firmware exploitable is 4.05, and it may take a while (or not) until something happens with 5.0x. We don't know yet if 5.05 is compatible, but from the wololo article:
Sony changed their keys in 5.05, but apparently not the signing process.
Maybe someone smarter than me can chime in or correct me, but I'm assuming that means that the same keys we have won't work but the way we get the keys is still available, so we'll have to wait until someone does.

Reactions: NeoSlyde and depaul

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's always what you should do when it comes to CFW/"backups." Currently the highest firmware exploitable is 4.05, and it may take a while (or not) until something happens with 5.0x. We don't know yet if 5.05 is compatible, but from the wololo article:

Maybe someone smarter than me can chime in or correct me, but I'm assuming that means that the same keys we have won't work but the way we get the keys is still available, so we'll have to wait until someone does.
I think it’s hilarious how people throw the term “backup” around instead of just saying piracy. Then again, it is a sensitive topic here on gbatemp (I got stung once saying that I decided to buy a 3ds once “backups” could be played on it since I didn’t have enough to afford games). But, here I am now with a ps4 with 8 physical games costing me anywhere between $20-50 each and happy to support devs now that I actually can.

Last edited by placebooooo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ StealthD0g99: Ive never done that before