Hardware ps3 lag ..

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
got a preowned ps3 from cex , downloaded a few games from psn , all games play fine but lag like fuk on the opening cutscenes until the game begins . Disc games are fine .

HDD issues ? common issue ? something i can tweak issue ? return to CEX and ask for a replacement issue ?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lag as in slow or lag in user input?

For lag as in slow, check HDD. PS3 came with rather slow HDD, an upgrade is advised.

For lag as in user input, check to see if you are using official controller. Also PS1 and PS2 game WILL lag in PS3 (even BC compatible early PS3 FAT). Only way to get rid of lag is to run at 480i, no widescreen and smoothing.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For input lag, also check your TV settings. Look for something called game mode and turn it on. Otherwise, turn off as many "features" as your TV will let you, as many of these cause lag. Especially don't run it at 120Hz or anything above 60Hz (or 600Hz on a plasma) as that feature adds a lot of lag.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Lag as in slow or lag in user input?

For lag as in slow, check HDD. PS3 came with rather slow HDD, an upgrade is advised.

For lag as in user input, check to see if you are using official controller. Also PS1 and PS2 game WILL lag in PS3 (even BC compatible early PS3 FAT). Only way to get rid of lag is to run at 480i, no widescreen and smoothing.
For input lag, also check your TV settings. Look for something called game mode and turn it on. Otherwise, turn off as many "features" as your TV will let you, as many of these cause lag. Especially don't run it at 120Hz or anything above 60Hz (or 600Hz on a plasma) as that feature adds a lot of lag.

he mentions about disk games are "fine"

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
its a 250 gig edition of the slim the issue seems only with cutscenes . gameplay is fine . the tv switches automatically to the correct resolution for the game played . dunno if thats normal ..

when i say lag , i mean itll play say 2 seconds of video pause for a couple of seconds , and so on ... on both games i have tried from psn ..

is there ps3 settings i can alter to effect this.. or is a TV issue ... or would it be the HDD , if its the HDD is this normal . or should i be requesting a replacement HDD / Console ??

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stuttering video on downloaded games, that's most likely an HDD issue. You could try reformatting the HDD, but no guarantees that will work. Probably you'll have to put a faster drive in (also might want to put in a bigger one while you're at it). Keep in mind, either of those options will wipe out any of your saves so copy them to a USB drive if you can, and you'll have to redownload anything you bought from PSN.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
its a 250 gig edition of the slim the issue seems only with cutscenes . gameplay is fine . the tv switches automatically to the correct resolution for the game played . dunno if thats normal ..

when i say lag , i mean itll play say 2 seconds of video pause for a couple of seconds , and so on ... on both games i have tried from psn ..

is there ps3 settings i can alter to effect this.. or is a TV issue ... or would it be the HDD , if its the HDD is this normal . or should i be requesting a replacement HDD / Console ??

my guess is the hdd is slow... and can't keep with the cutscenes... or maybe is damaged\got bad sectores, you can either try to get a replacement console from cex, or get a new HDD for the console... or maybe CEX can replace it :/

you can also try to reformat it, like the user above me said

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
i do beleive that cex are fairly thorough with their systems prior to resale . so i would assume they had restored the system/ formatted prior to sale .. is that likely to be true ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, JonTron's back yet again until he disappears into the void for another 6 or...