PS3 keys finally released

Magoo222

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Somebody made a post in one of the other topics (which I now can't find and therefore give credit to) but what is this likely to mean for PS3 backwards compatibility on a PS4?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Magoo222 said:
Somebody made a post in one of the other topics (which I now can't find and therefore give credit to) but what is this likely to mean for PS3 backwards compatibility on a PS4?
It was me speculating. PS3's security is royally screwed so all Sony can do now is focus on the PS4 security development. With the PS3's security being so buggered allowing the PS4 to run PS3 software could be a minefield for Sony to try and make sure nobody could use it as a backdoor to the PS4 mode.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ThePowerOutage said:
3.41, 3.50 and 3.55 appldr keys released by netkas except the 3.55 key that were released by anonymous
1.00 to 3.30 an 3.55 isoldr keys released by Mathieulh
Can someone explain what appldr and isoldr mean?

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SpaceJump said:
ThePowerOutage said:
3.41, 3.50 and 3.55 appldr keys released by netkas except the 3.55 key that were released by anonymous
1.00 to 3.30 an 3.55 isoldr keys released by Mathieulh
Can someone explain what appldr and isoldr mean?
Probably just means that different firmwares had different keys for software that's either on disc or downloaded from PSN.
It's not really something you'd need to worry about though, just the programmers.

MrDiesel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
shaunj66 said:
Sony must be spitting blood. This is the worst possible outcome for them.

And what's worse is that all of this just happened, because some stupid programmer decided to use the same random number over and over again!

Haha, and I thought the PS3 still would have a long timespan... Interests of game developers in the PS3 will really suffer now
frown.gif

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I've just decrypted a PUP file for 3.55. I don't know what to do next, might try changing version.txt, repacking and seeing if it reads it as an update.

EDIT: Or maybe we can't yet...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
DigitalDeviant said:
So now that people will have the ability to put their own apps and loaders onto the console and the system will see them as "legit" does this create a window of opportunity for the possibility of making the ps3 blu-ray region free or is access to the drive and its configuration still a long way off?
It just means we have the capabilities of hacked systems on non-hacked systems.

It doesn't magically tell us everything we need to know about how the hardware works.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
What is the reason that keys are not allowed to be posted here? It has already been ruled in the federal courts of MANY countries that encryption and security key can not be called copyrighted code so there is nothing infringing on posting them here and Sony can't do a darn thing about it.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
DeadlyFoez said:
What is the reason that keys are not allowed to be posted here? It has already been ruled in the federal courts of MANY countries that encryption and security key can not be called copyrighted code so there is nothing infringing on posting them here and Sony can't do a darn thing about it.
GBATemp's a big enough site to attract attention from Sony though. They might not be able to do anything in court but you can bet they're going to try to throw their weight around about this and cause trouble.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
DeadlyFoez said:
If we could, what is the point in posting them?

Searching geohot alone gives you a link to his website with the keys on it and I bet 95% of GBAtemp wouldn't even know what to do with them.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
prowler_ said:
DeadlyFoez said:

Searching geohot alone gives you a link to his website with the keys on it and I bet 95% of GBAtemp wouldn't even know what to do with them.
While this is of course true, DeadlyFoez is still asking an interesting question (and by all likelyhood he already knows what you said about where to find the keys and has an idea of the amount of people on here that would be able to use them).

I'd be interested in hearing the answer as well.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
DeadlyFoez said:

Because the people who have posted them should not have the threads closed and posts deleted if it is fully legal to do. Sony has bigger fish to fry than worry about gbatemp especially with psx-scene posting up everything.

Edit, the more important thing is that if GBAtemp is not going to allow posting of the keys then they won't be able to aloow any signed homebrew apps either or any PC app that has the keys embedded which has already happened.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mazor said:
prowler_ said:
DeadlyFoez said:

While this is of course true, DeadlyFoez is still asking an interesting question (and by all likelyhood he already knows what you said about where to find the keys and has an idea of the amount of people on here that would be able to use them).

I'd be interested in hearing the answer as well.

The question seems to have already been answered, actually. See, the law (regardless of nation) is all about semantics. Minute statements and actions mean everything when interpreting the law, and if this material is copyrighted (or protected by some other means), then by simply not providing a gateway directly to the information, GBATemp covers their ass. It's really quite simple; err on the side of caution.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ThePowerOutage said:
If you missed it, you can now run GT5 and a few other 3.50+ games on 3.41 using a patched eboot. Sauce = PSX-Scene
Aren't the EBOOT.BIN files posted over there COMPLETELY illegal? Seeing as how they're ripped from discs and patched? Surely for it to be legal, they should be distributed as .diff patches with instructions on how to apply them or something like that?

QUOTE(hova1 @ Jan 3 2011, 05:40 PM) cool, but when can people do something who don't own a jailbreak device?

Well, the keys are there, its just a case of waiting till someone signs a PKG and releases it. Actually, they'll need to sign a PUP first, with the Install PKG option enabled in it...But then things should start happening. So to the people saying no CFW is needed: I believe that is wrong. There isn't a way to load code AFAIK without the Install PKG option, which isn't in OFW, so there needs to be a (small) patch to the firmware and then it should be installed as a PUP and signed can then be installed.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeadlyFoez said:
Even more than that, the system calls that allow redirection of the BR drive are required too which will need a CFW so the games can still launch
Yeah, but I was talking about pure homebrew, rather than "backup" launchers. People have been saying that'll run with no modification, which I think isn't actually true.

On the PSP, it is true, as on PSP all thats needed is drop an EBOOT.PBP in a specific folder. But on PS3, I think you NEED to install the homebrew as a PKG for it to be able to run, and the Install PKG option isn't on retail PS3s by default.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.