PS3 Custom Firmware Loader from USB

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by doyama, Sep 18, 2010.

Sep 18, 2010
  1. doyama
    OP

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66257

You can now load into a custom firmware on a USB stick, and then reboot into this new firmware. We're getting closer to loading custom firmware!

Whether it's possible to dump 3.42 to emulate this is unknown at this point. Bit of a catch-22 since you can't jailbreak 3.42 to get the firmware to emulate it [​IMG]

Still an interesting development!

2. CheatingSoi

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    Yeah, I was really exited about this at first. I just want to be able to pop on line just for a breath of air. I feel like I'm drowning the longer I'm offline.

3. Shinintendo

Member Shinintendo GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    yea I read it too, interesting indeed.
    each day news pop up, I won't be surprised if the ps3 get new customized firmware next week.

4. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    We can test homebrew now without bricking our ps3 as well now right?

5. girugamarc

Member girugamarc GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So one could take the newest update, remove or alter whatever it is that is blocking the jailbreak, and then use that custom firmware to get online somehow? Cool.

Won't Sony be able to tell that you're not using an official firmware?

6. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    It'll be interesting to see if this perhaps leads to a hack allowing you to run 3.42 with the unsigned code and install PKG patches. Quite plausible AFAIK, as those patches reside in RAM, and stay until a complete power off. A soft reboot (such as the one which will reload into the USB firmware) will not get rid of those patches, so if you simply get dev_flash from a 3.42 PS3 and stick it on a USB drive, you should be able to run 3.42 and still have homebrew and PKG installing abilities.

I am assuming that this is still made illegally with the official SDK? Is there ANY legal hombrew for the PS3 yet?

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If I steal a saw and build a doghouse with it, the doghouse is not stolen property.

Stuff made with the leaked SDK is not illegal, I will not believe that it is UNTIL SOMEBODY PROVES IT.

Saying "It must be!" is not proof. Give me FACTS.

8. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    We just need a pup unpacker. Or a disk that contains the update that allows us to dump it before it asks to update....

9. SifJar

United Kingdom
    There is a PUP Extractor, I saw it over at PSX Scene, but I dunno where it came from, or if its from the leaked SDK and therefore illegal (although I don't really know why there'd be a PUP Extractor in the official SDK, no devs should need that, so its probably custom written)

10. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I've found links to YAPE (yet another pup extractor) but it cant decrypt from the SELF apparently.

Wonder if anyones tried the PSP decrypting tools on PS3 update files... I vaguely remember G3oH0t shitting on about altering RCO's on his 3.2100 firmware just as you could on a PSP (infact using the same tool RCO:MAGE v1.1.0) ...

11. SifJar

United Kingdom
    I think RCOs are editable on PS3, from a screenshot I saw of this USB Firmware Loader thing, it looked like it had an RCO edit (it had a string modified which said something along the lines of "RCO Edited")

12. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    Hmm, the way I see it is that we use a lot of software that Sony makes using the official SDK. So if these compiled programs are illegal to have because from bits of pieces of SDK being in the program, then it would be the same for official Sony software. Sure, Sony has not given us permission to use their SDK, but that ties in with Rydian's statement saying we don't have the SDK, just compiled programs.

13. dronesplitter

Member dronesplitter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    No, that would be missing the point. Sony has a right to sell software they created. It's only legal for them to sell it in any form.

14. Covarr

Member Covarr Sentient Cash Register

United States
    Regardless of the legality of using the SDK, if a custom firmware comes out that's based on an official one, that's only legal if the CFW is created by the end user (such as with a patcher) from a legitimately downloaded copy of the original firmware. If the CFW is distributed in full, it's not legal. Similar to some of the modified IOS's for the Wii.

In this case, it's less like stealing a saw to build a doghouse, and more like adding a carpet. It's okay if you're given the doghouse and add the carpet yourself, but not if somebody a third party steals the doghouse, adds the carpet, and then gives it to you.

15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    AGAIN, if it does any of this stuff you claim, then SHOW IT TO ME.

I will not believe it exists just because "it must exist".

I will believe it exists WHEN IT IS SHOWN TO EXIST.