Hardware PS3 backwards compatibility on PS5 soon ?

Moon164

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
For some reason, in the Playstation 5 library it is possible to separate games between PS5, PS4 and PS3.
QWpJm9r.png

There are no PS3 games on the PS5 right when selected nothing appears. I thought that maybe they were Playstation Now games (the service has PS3 games streaming), but not if it were the case with PS2 games that are available on PS Now both via streaming and download should also appear.

I really hope that Sony will include backwards compatibility with the PS3 in the future and not just by streaming, the PS3 has so many amazing and exclusive titles from Sony, a pity that we won't be able to play them on the PS5 while the Xbox Series X is capable of run all Xbox consoles.

Moon164

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The PS3 section is for PlayStation Now support.
I saw people commenting on it, but I haven't seen any evidence of it so far.

I find it strange that the PS3 games appeared even though they were only streamings when there is no category for PS2 games even though they have streaming and download.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Sony don't give a toss about old games because they've got loads of new ones that are even shinier for people to play. That and they don't want to carry over peoples previous PSN purchases when they can charge them again for streaming instead.

*taps side of head*

Reactions: Neo127

TimPV3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's PS Now games. There are 3 PS3 games I own that are on PS Now, and it gives me the option to stream. Not sure if you have to be a PS Now member or not since I have it for another 10 months.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's PS Now games. There are 3 PS3 games I own that are on PS Now, and it gives me the option to stream. Not sure if you have to be a PS Now member or not since I have it for another 10 months.
Ditto.

Anyone who wants PlayStation BC, just buy a PS3 60GB for its three generations (PS1, PS2, PS3) and PS5 for PS4, PS5.

The American and Japanese PS3 60GB consoles are better than the ones made for the PAL regions, since the NTSC used PS2 hardware (minus the 80GB which was emulated) while the PAL was software/emulation (kinda like the NTSC 80GB).

This makes me wonder if SONY down the line removes PS4 BC like they did with PS2 on PS3.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The American and Japanese PS3 60GB consoles are better than the ones made for the PAL regions, since the NTSC used PS2 hardware (minus the 80GB which was emulated) while the PAL was software/emulation (kinda like the NTSC 80GB).

This makes me wonder if SONY down the line removes PS4 BC like they did with PS2 on PS3.

Except backward compatible PS3 turn into ewaste if you use them & the PS1 backward compatibility wasn't actually that great (it was a pure software emulator).

I don't see why they would remove PS4 backward compatibility from the PS5, the games are just running natively.

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Every single model of PS3 uses some sort of emulation. Even the consoles with the Emotion Engine + Graphics Synthesizer have the sound, the security and the IOP emulated in the SPUs.

If you want the real experience, buy an actual PS2. But I'd say PS3 is faithful enough.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every single model of PS3 uses some sort of emulation. Even the consoles with the Emotion Engine + Graphics Synthesizer have the sound, the security and the IOP emulated in the SPUs.

If you want the real experience, buy an actual PS2. But I'd say PS3 is faithful enough.
I'd favor an actual PS2 Launch/Slim with a genuine component cable (HD Retrovision or SONY), but for a lot, a PS3 that's backwards compatible with PS2 is much more desirable (and convenient).

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since PS5 is already jailbroken. With linux, you will be able to play RPCS3 emulator on PS5 and runs fully games easily, I believe. Look at some PS3 games being fully playable on PS5 Jailbreak with LINUX. Impressive. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.