PS1/2 PS2 softmod

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
cutterjohn said:
The verbatims or sony's (c. $22 @ worst buy)
they usually have sales on media every week

50 pk DVD+R or -R for $10, sony or verbatium
They didn't used to have them so often, and I never bothered to look until the crap quality of the DVD+Rs that I had on home was truly driven home. Even some of the PC data disks burned with them are finicky as in not reading on the burner(NEC-3550A v1.05 fw, maybe I should update it to 1.07 or a custom fw), but mostly fine in an older DVD-ROM drive. [EDIT] worst buy has the Sony's c. $22, and Office Max the verbatims c. $20. [/EDIT]

Anyways, the main point about the DVD+/-Rs was to find ones that were made in Japan or Taiwan, and that older ps2s (or maybe just some models) seemed to have a higher success rate with DVD-Rs. I ended up just buying the -Rs just in case, although for every other purpose +Rs are MUCH better to use, so maybe I'll buy a spindle of 100 +Rs and see if I get any different results.

BTW: my PS2 slim, purchased 4/08 is model # 79001.

Now to get the PS2 stuff all ship shape, so that I can move on to my next project, a PSP slim plus custom fw and all of my old PSX games.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4.25 is out, I am behind
im still on ver 4.12
tongue.gif

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7306 (64MB Memory Card for PS2 only $9 bucks with Worldwide Free Shipping)

In the link provided in the tutorial, several people in their reviews said that this card does not work with Action Replay Max.

I was just wondering if there was a particular size limit (ie: 8MB, 16MB, or 32MB) that Action Replay Max can work with? Or does anyone know of a compatibility chart that I have overlooked in my search?

Thanks in advance.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldnt recommend that card
I would go with legit card or a datel card to be somewhat on the safe side because that 64mb is highly prone to corruption constantly

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the ESR compatibility list sucks alot in that it's not organised into a nice ordered list containing compatible ESR version and consoles tested on. Just search the thread for a title, and even if you PS2 model/ESR version don't match chances are that it will still likely work with a newer version of ESR.

Anyone have any luck using ADR or the PAL2NTSC w/YFIX programs converting a PAL ISO to NTSC?

I want to try Shadow Hearts 2 Covenant, and guess if no one replies soonish that I'll try it later just ESR patched, then PAL2NTSC patched if it appears to not have a codebreaker code to switch to 60Hz or a builtin game option(some do have an option to switch to 60Hz).

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
kobykaan said:
+ the bonus of having a 32mb mem card that you can backup saves and transfer saves to the pc and back
smile.gif
haha, you can buy a 64mb card for $9 bucks.

EDIT: I just softmoded someones MC (a nice $5) and then I test a burnt copy and then a real copy (on hes PS2), good to go! but then he emails me and say he still has my real game in there
hate2.gif
Where'd you find a 64M memory card for $9?

Chinese cards won't work. (Fake magic gate.)

And the cheapest that Ive seen listed at retailers is $35 for the Datel cart which none of them have in store anyways, but it's the only 3rd part memory card that support USB, so to me the Memor32 was still well worth it as even though it costs more, it definitely works for these purposes and seems to ber of higher quality than the Datel carts from what Ive read to date.

[EDIT]
Blah! Double post, but not really... SHould've dumped them into one,b ut I need coffee yet...
tongue.gif

[/EDIT]

bunnybreaker

Trophies
Website
devlkore.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Ok, I feel like such a n00b, but I need to ask some questions as I want to get a PS2 and have access to run "backups" and play with homebrew, etc.

With the method in the first post, you still have to swap discs, as in, a PS1 disc to trigger the exploit, then you can load a burned PS2 game. I hope I have this right so fr. Do you use the eject button, or do you have to use a card thingy like with swap magic for this swap?

How the hell does ESR work? I know you have to patch your ISOs and use the ESR loader, but how do you get to this? It seems like people use MCBoot (I think that's what it's called), so does MCBoot stay on the memory card and give you access to ESR to load games or what? If this is the case, how does the PS2 read a homebrew (MCBoot or otherwise) from your memory card without modification?

Do all of these exploits (apart from Memento, I imagine) show up as regular saves in the PS2 menu, so, can I copy them to a friends memory card without using a PC?

Thanks for any light you could shed. I have read this thread twice now and been scouring for more concise info, but it all seems to be written as if anyone reading it has some prior knowledge of the PS2 scene.

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

@cutterjohn

Is this the card you are referring to?

http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/PS2-Mem...__EF000554.aspx

It seems pretty good. I am going to look at some reviews and see how good this card works.

It is 64MB and has USB port, similar to the momento. And there is no needed software. I can put the exploits on this card and update easier using the USB cable.

I will update this post once I find some info.

suppachipmunk

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
suppachipmunk said:
Hello,

@cutterjohn

Is this the card you are referring to?

http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/PS2-Mem...__EF000554.aspx

It seems pretty good. I am going to look at some reviews and see how good this card works.

It is 64MB and has USB port, similar to the momento. And there is no needed software. I can put the exploits on this card and update easier using the USB cable.

I will update this post once I find some info.

suppachipmunk
That's the one. Every place that says they carry it, only seem to have it available online. Also, AFAIK neither their 16M nor their 32M card have USB support, so they're useless unless you have another method to install FMCB + ESR (see first post). [EDIT2] I'm not sure how the install process would go with one of these either as I don't recall seeing a write up on using it to get FMCB going, but I suppose that you could figure out how to do it manually as the whole thing seems to hinge on the PS2 BIOS trying to run a particularly name file in a particular folder. I haven't looked closely at this, as I haven't had a need to know it... yet... since I could just run uLE from my Memor32 with Memento, and then boot the installer from my uSD USB reader... and the Memento installer was just a PC app that moved the Memento files onto the Memor32.[/EDIT2]

Also, I've seen some posts at psx-scene where they mention problems with the 64M datel cart support. I suppose if you can get it up long enough to install FMCB + ESR elsewhere that it's be fine. I keep my FMCB base install on an old 128M uSD plus USB reader so that I can restore my 8M Sony card as necessary.

Also, now that I'm thinking of it, I think that I saw somewhere else the other day while wandering through carious PS2 forums looking for the PAL/NTSC info that there are a few different types of old memory card PC adapters which might also work if you can find one. I saw a link to one 3rd party one, and IIRC saw mentioned elsewhere something maybe about an official PS3 adapter for PS2 memory cards and the PC maybe... Didn't bother to look as I have no PS3 and no interest in it ATM (probably mostly skip this console generation I think).

[EDIT]
Any comments on PAL NTSC conversion using that PAL2NTSC program or ADR? As in is it worth bothering to try if the game doesn't already have 60Hz support builtin? Or would it be better to just buy one of those external signal converters?
[/EDIT]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it