PS2 Not Displaying Properly...any tips?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Newah, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Newah
    OP

Newah Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2013
    United States
    My PS2 is one of the PHAT models, I believe 3001 to be exact, and I have a problem where when I set the display mode to component, that is changing it from RGB to the other one (too long to remember), it only works on the menu. As soon as I enter a game, the display looks all wrong. There's little bits of artifacts on the screen around edges and such, and it's really weird considering it worked perfectly in the menu.

Anyways, if anyone has any ideas that would be nice. I'm considering just buying another PS2 since they should be relatively cheap on craigslist, but I don't want to have to.

Thanks!

2. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Are you playing a PS1 game, ICO, Disgaea, or Mega Man X Collection?
    Such games use low-resolution 240p video mode. Which some HDTVs refuse to accept from component input.

Try finding an RF, composite, or s-video cable.

You can usually ignore the RGB option. SCART works on US consoles but next to none of our TVs have it.

3. Newah
    OP

Newah Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2013
    United States
    Non of the above. I've been trying to run Motorstorm Arctic Edge, and SOCOM 3, both of which show the same issues. The reason I'm attempting component is because the colors generally tend to be sharper on most of my consoles, even if it doesn't show HD. I take it a composite is the normal yellow white and red cables?

Anyways, I'll look for those other cables per your suggestion. Thanks!

4. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Right. Less likely problems could be weird stuff like overheating. I'm not a technical user, just prefer component like you.

5. Newah
    OP

Newah Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2013
    United States
    So it turns out that it's suddenly working now, not that I did anything different, but I'm happy!

6. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    You are in US, and US TV mostly accepts Y/Cb/Cr over component cable, so that is what you should pick.

The other one, RGB, is popular in Europe along with SCART, but not in US.

7. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    He's got that set right though, if you change it to RGB it affects the system menus too, and you wind up having to hook up a composite cable to get it back to component... er... not that I ever would do something so foolish... :wacko: