PS2 newbie general question about modchips

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by scousethief, Jun 14, 2009.

Jun 14, 2009
  1. scousethief
    OP

Member scousethief GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hi well bought a ps2 today at a price that was truthfully a no brainer , now what i would like to know is what is the best way to play backups on it ? I can solder pretty well so that isnt so much of an issue finding a cheap chip is proving to be a bit of a chore. I am in the UK so if anyone could tell me were i can buy a cheapish chip that basically will play games ( via pm if it isnt allowed ) i would be gratefull , oh the Ps2 is the fat version.

Thanks for any info

Scouse

2. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
  3. scousethief
    OP

Member scousethief GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I did, from what i could glean from the sticky is that the basic options are

soft mod in which case i need to source an action replay = money

swap magic in which case i need to source the swap magic disks = money and then mess around everytime i want to play a game.

chip the ps2 and not worry about anything else.= money

i would rather chip the console , my chipped wii has been running a wiikey since they were available with no problems , my daughters softmodded wii needs continual updates.
    I did read your sticky ( i didnt read any of the following posts because half the time theyre just bashing the op needlessly ) which is why i did say if it wasnt allowed then it was ok to pm me , dont take that as any sort of sleight my way of thinking is that if i am going to have to spend some cash then i might as well buy the chip and be done with it.

Thanks for the reply.

Scouse

4. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I don't mind at all if you prefer chipping it, so do I. But with the PS2 chips are costly (I think about $50+) and really hard to install (x10 harder then the Wii). The softmod works really great on the PS2, I've had no issues yet.

Good luck. [​IMG]