PS1/2 PS2 modding questions and help needed.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I recently acquired a PS2 and since I never owned one before and I have tried to emulate the games on my PC but my PC is a bit dated and it lags quite a lot so I kind of welcome it but there are a few things i'm unsure of and I hope i can get some help with this.

1. How can I mod this PS2 to be able to run ISOs and all that and is there a way to mod it without buying anything since I already have quite a few USBs and black disk and it comes with a memory card and 2 controllers.

2. Kinda going with the first question is there a way to mod the PS2 and play games from a USB or portable hard drive?

I might have some other questions after I get it since its been delivered to me but I was also wondering if it makes any difference that its a Phat PS2 not the Slim one when it comes to modding it.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What PS2 model is this? If it is a slim find out its BIOS version under settings.

Yes, while it is possible to play PS2 games using USB, it is too slow to be practical. Either a burned disc or network sharing using Ethernet.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it makes any difference that its a Phat PS2 not the Slim one when it comes to modding it.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/ps2-softmod.101682/

That should work with any of the big PS2 models.

And to reiterate, you can play from a USB drive, but because the PS2 only supports USB 1.1, it's very slow and miserable and some games just flat out won't work right. Best bets are to either burn discs or get a broadband adapter and internal IDE hard drive (you need the bb adapter just to connect the hard drive the way the PS2 is set up).

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Must've missed the FAT PS2. Your first step is getting FreeMcboot installed. There are three ways of getting it done,

* Ship your memory card to someone and ask them to install it for you.

* Get the required PS2 games and do it yourselves. (Cannot remember what the required game is at the moment)

* Buy an official Sony memory card adapter, hook it on to PC and install it yourselves. (Must be official Sony adapter, no knockoff will work)

eyecat14

GBATemp's Lovely Jizzing Mordecai™
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Must've missed the FAT PS2. Your first step is getting FreeMcboot installed. There are three ways of getting it done,

* Get the required PS2 games and do it yourselves. (Cannot remember what the required game is at the moment)

* Buy an official Sony memory card adapter, hook it on to PC and install it yourselves. (Must be official Sony adapter, no knockoff will work)

Ebay link for official adapter ploose? and after I do that, is that it?

Just Another Gamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Also is it possible to use stuff like action replay with games after you modded the PS2?

Right so I guess either the game or the memory card adapter would be the better option for me, now I just need to find it on eBay or something since I don't really want to pay a lot just to mod it.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately this is one thing you do NOT want to buy from eBay. You are very likely to run into a knockoff on eBay.

The adapter you are looking for is Sony PS3 memory card adapter (Model number CECHZM1)

eyecat14

GBATemp's Lovely Jizzing Mordecai™
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately this is one thing you do NOT want to buy from eBay. You are very likely to run into a knockoff on eBay.

The adapter you are looking for is Sony PS3 memory card adapter (Model number CECHZM1)

PHEW! I was so close to buying it, alright mate, thanks for saving me, where would I buy this then......?

Just Another Gamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Ah thanks. But does it make a difference since it is just an adapter, I mean I switch adapters and cables all the time for my PC stuff and it doesn't blow up or not read or anything and just works fine, maybe a little slower or faster but thats about it. Also I was still wondering if I can use action replay with games on a modded PS2.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately knockoff adapter uses different driver, or in layman term speaks different language that PC does not understand.

I just realized something, in order to use required game for FreeMcboot install you have to swap the disc while it is spinning. It is doable on Slim but not on FAT.

You can look possible people willing to install FreeMcboot for you (you ship memory card to them),
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/[read-first-post-][free-service-]i-can-install-fmcb-you-58851/

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can do the disk swap on phat consoles, but it's a bit trickier.

For a phat, the best iso loading solution is probably an internal IDE HDD using the latest version of OPL.

Just Another Gamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You can do the disk swap on phat consoles, but it's a bit trickier.

For a phat, the best iso loading solution is probably an internal IDE HDD using the latest version of OPL.

I would love to do that but I can't find a cheap network adapter so I guess burning disks is my way to go since its a cheaper alternative and I don't mind doing any of it.

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A phat PS2 can have the fastest loading times with an internal HDD. This is a guide on how to set it up: http://opl.sksapps.com/index.php?opl=hdd_install.html This is the user guide for the previous version of OPL, but the setup should be mostly the same. The latest version is 0.9.1 and can be found on the psx scene forum.

I've heard that the easiest way to transfer games to an internal HDD is over ethernet adapter - otherwise you would probably have to take the HDD out and put it in your computer/external housing to install games to it.

If you go the disk loading method, it will work fine except for dual layer games that have to be shrunk to single layer to work. You use the program ESR to load discs. Before burning discs, you need to patch them with ESR disc patcher GUI v0.24a (I think it's the latest)

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like my phat PS2, what I did with it back in the day was to buy Swap Magic and install a flip top lid. Then I got the network adapter and an internal hard drive (I think its like 120GB?) I use swap magic to boot the thing and it loads a program on a USB thumb drive that loads up any of my games from the hard drive. So other than reading the one disk for a few seconds at boot my laser is stress free :)

http://www.sksapps.com/

This is the single best site for PS2 based hacking.

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all you have to do on a fat is buy 007 Agent Under Fire, mod it and burn the disk. That costs less than $3, as long as you had a memory card and a blank DVD... Where are you getting $100+?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E