Ps2 just stopped reading burnt disks

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by camochase, Jul 2, 2012.

Jul 2, 2012
  1. camochase
    OP

Member camochase GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i just softmodded my ps2 with mcboot and after like 4 days it wont read the burnt games it will only ready my retail games. i burned it at 4x on imgburn on sony dvd-r discs. did i do something wrong should i clean my laser or something? i need help my only idea is to burning again it 2x and try again.

2. camochase
    OP

United States
    ok i tryed my retail jak II and it boots the sony corporation screen and then stops/freezes

3. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    x2 speed is way too slow, most decent media supports higher speeds and the games work the same way, you are using good media so that is not a problem just try burning at a higher speed, how i calculate it is say the dvd disc is 16x i half that speed and burn it that way.

it also depends on what ps2 model you are using? do you have a slim ps2? a fat ps2? what version number is it? the older models of ps2 will cause you a problem because of their age, newer slims up to v14 and up won't give you any problems.

4. camochase
    OP

United States
    k well i have a slim it says its scph-70012

5. jinnpan

Member jinnpan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    sorry to tell you this but more than likely you are burning out the laser. the 70000 also known as the V12 have problems reading cheap DVD-R media and will burn out the laser. You need to use JVC or AZO Dye DVD-Rs.
    You will also need to install a laser protection chip.