PS1/2 PS2 Fhat HDD Soft Mod Issues

Rafdog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

Not sure if we're allowed to post "hacking" PS2 info here but let me know what I can and cannot and I'll edit if need be.

Now that that's out of the way here's the dilemma:

I've recently learned how to soft mod my fat PS2 (normal NTSC soft moddable model of PS2s) and I was able to learn how to format the HDD and put it into my console via the SATA HDD add-on. I'm using a small 2.5" 80GB HDD (tested with HDD's on the "approved working PS2 soft mod" list as well and getting the same issue so the HDD is not the issue as I've ruled that out already) and am able to play the loaded "contents" off the HDD via OPL with my provided "modified" PS2 memory card.

The problem: I cant transfer art files obtained from OPL Manager via USB. I can load my games, play my games off the HDD but for some reason cant transfer my Art folder with the files to my hdd0 directory when on my PS2. The original issue was that I wouldn't even see the directories when navigating to hdd0 via uLanchELF and even when I went to HDDManager via uLaunchELF to format the drive that way and created the subdirectories in hdd0 I still don't see the +OPL folder. So I followed some Google searches and created my own folder in that directory named +OPL but then when I try to transfer the art files into that directory as seen in the tutorial videos I've watched it then says "paste failed" when trying to copy paste the Art folder from my usb aka "mass" via uLaunchELF.

I feel like I'm just one or two steps away from figuring this out and figured I'd post it here and see if I can get any help if possible to resolve this little matter. Thanks!

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After you format the drive using uLaunchELF you need to create a partition named +OPL and then it will appear as a folder in hdd0. So within Hddmanager (after formatting) press R1 and select the option to create a partition. The size should be appropriately large enough to hold any virtual memory cards (8MB per VMC is quite typical) as well as any artwork you may want.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Rafdog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After you format the drive using uLaunchELF you need to create a partition named +OPL and then it will appear as a folder in hdd0. So within Hddmanager (after formatting) press R1 and select the option to create a partition. The size should be appropriately large enough to hold any virtual memory cards (8MB per VMC is quite typical) as well as any artwork you may want.

Unfortunately I've tried all that and still nothing. The problem is that every time I do the format via uLaunchELF and create the +OPL folder and properly format it it still doesn't appear when I try to put the art files into that subcategory like how all these guides and videos show.

Any suggestions on why it's not allowing me to paste into that directory even after creating it and formatting it properly? Thanks!

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately I've tried all that and still nothing. The problem is that every time I do the format via uLaunchELF and create the +OPL folder and properly format it it still doesn't appear when I try to put the art files into that subcategory like how all these guides and videos show.

Any suggestions on why it's not allowing me to paste into that directory even after creating it and formatting it properly? Thanks!

I'm not sure I understand what you wrote, as you mention formatting with uLaunchELF (presumably via the hddmanager feature), but then mention creating a +OPL folder and formatting again... (?)

After you format using hddmanager, press R1 again to create a PARTITION -- not a folder -- named +OPL. After creating the PARTITION, it will appear in your BROWSER (within uLaunchELF, and NOT inside the hddmanager) as a folder.

Rafdog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure I understand what you wrote, as you mention formatting with uLaunchELF (presumably via the hddmanager feature), but then mention creating a +OPL folder and formatting again... (?)

After you format using hddmanager, press R1 again to create a PARTITION -- not a folder -- named +OPL. After creating the PARTITION, it will appear in your BROWSER (within uLaunchELF, and NOT inside the hddmanager) as a folder.
lol Apologies. It was a little while since I had played around with the modded PS2 so my terminology was pretty rough haha. I'll take some pics of what I mean is happening and upload em so you can see exactly what's happening. I did exactly what you said and all the guides said the same and oddly it's just not happening as easily for me some odd reason.
art files for you games like cover art i use opl manager
Yeah I used OPL Manager too and they say they transferred successfully but when I load up my games on my PS2 I see and can play the games but cant see any of the artwork I uploaded to the ART folder. And all the artwork is from OPL Manager and done correctly on how the PS2 should see it but it's only seeing the game files but not the artwork even though the artwork legit exists in the right folder. lol Super weird.

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lYeah I used OPL Manager too and they say they transferred successfully but when I load up my games on my PS2 I see and can play the games but cant see any of the artwork I uploaded to the ART folder. And all the artwork is from OPL Manager and done correctly on how the PS2 should see it but it's only seeing the game files but not the artwork even though the artwork legit exists in the right folder. lol Super weird.

Did you change the OPL display settings to display artwork, though?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30