PS2 emulation, which is the best emulator out there

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by DarkWay, Aug 26, 2009.

1. DarkWay
    OP

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    ok so I've given up on trying to softmod my PS2 without spending any money (I already have a max drive thing but I can't find the disk anywhere)

so now I'm turning to emulation but I'm not sure how good the emulation of the PS2 is, I've heard/read about 2 PS2 emulators PCSX2 and PS2emu

what I would like to know is:-
    Is PS2 emulation any good? i.e running games full speed (or near to full speed), compatability with games and the playability of the games.
    and Which is the best PS2 emulator out there currently?

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks again Tempers!

[​IMG]

2. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I'm pretty sure pcsx2 is the best at the moment, and from what I've read the emulation is pretty decent with a number of games running at max speed with minimum graphical glitches. There's a compatability list on their website in case you want to make sure the games you want to play work before setting it up.

It worked decently when I tried it, but I'm pretty sure a dual core CPU is recommened, and your video card has to support a certain pixel shader (I think it's 3, not sure).

3. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    Don't give up on softmodding your ps2. Just buy a memory card with free mcboot installed thats what I'm trying and I've been scammed out of 3 psp games and have not given up.

I'd guess Pcsx2. Here's compatability. http://pcsx2.net/compat.php

4. DarkWay
    OP

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    thanks for the quick reply. I'm having trouble with PCSX2 I can't seem to get it to recognise my controller any suggestions?

5. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    Try a different controller plugin. I used to ahve problems but switched to another (somewhat older) plugin and it worked fine. Also the link purplesludge posted has not been updated since 0.94 and the emu is at 0.96.

6. justinefremlouw

Member justinefremlouw GBAtemp Regular

United States
    a tip to save you some time, unless you have a monster PC with quad core processor, a monster graphics card, and a crapload of RAM, don't even think abt using pcsx2, believe me, i've tried that option multiple times before finally running to gamestop to get a gameshark 2 for $20 and installing FMCB on my MC XD