ps2 emulation for the wii u?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Dominator211, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Nimrod-002

Nimrod-002 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2016
    Morocco
    GC games run natively in Wii mode, only memory cards/controllers are emulated

2. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    lol this is even worst type of statement ... there is no gc mode on wiiu at all, gc mode is called MIOS wich isnt on wiiu at all, the reason wiiu can play gc games is becuase gc has the same CPU architeture and GPU from wii wich is used for vwii, so nintendont basicaly just makes a bridge between gc calls and the hardware wich is the same to make games running.

There is no gc mode to be activated on wiiu at all... please dont spread lies.

nWo and DarthDub like this.
  3. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    There isn't enough interest in getting any other newerish emulators on the Wii U. Original X-BOX is finally getting a new emulator on PC, I doubt the Wii U can emulate either PS2 or XBOX. (no need for GC since we have Nintendont)

cvskid likes this.
  4. Polopop123

Polopop123 Banned

Banned
    Aug 21, 2017
    Ireland
    I looked it up and an article said that something like that. Either I misinterpreted it or it was bull but whatever

5. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    probably readed a bullshit article because there is no gc mode on wiiu at all.

6. Polopop123

Polopop123 Banned

Banned
    Aug 21, 2017
    Ireland
    But pushing Nintendont aside. Could the Wii U full obnoxious emulate GC games without vWii if there was enough support for it? I mean it seems obvious to me it would be able, 2 generations ahead, same company making it and better hardware but, I’m probably wrong lol

7. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Sure, it's possible, but why would anyone want to do that?

wicksand420 likes this.
  8. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    probably but with slowdowns, becuase the gpu is totaly diferent and nintendont does not emulate any graphics becuase vwii has the same gpu as the gc so we only need to use it, on wiiu mode the gx2 everything is diferent and emulating graphics could be too much for the wiiu since its not that much faster, everyone says you need to have a minimum of a system 5 times stronger to get decent emulation the wiiu is basicaly 3 times stronger at best unless you wrote a multithreaded emulator the requires masssive work and knowlege wich no one does that is the reason barely any emulator is multicore only dolphin and anotehr one i forgot.

nWo and wicksand420 like this.
  9. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Fan

May 21, 2014
    France
    PS2 emulator (pcsx2) took almost 10 long years to achieve good compatibility and speed.
    Am I going to wait for the Wii U to be able to emulate PS2?

HELL NO.

10. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Just download a PS2 emulator on your PC. Most modern computers now a days can run a PS2 Emulator just fine. You may need to tweak setting every now and then to get some games working correctly, but most games do play fine.

I used a $400 HP laptop to play PS2 games with a PS2 emulator with a Xbox 360 controller, and it works fine, it was even working at very playable frame rates.

The WiiU may be strong enough to run a PS2 Emulator, but the hardware is just 1 thing that is needed. There are many other things that come into play when trying to get an emulator to play nice on a different platform.

On a PC operating system, the system is open, so the emulator can be built to use any and all resources that it needs. Homebrew Emulator on a console is very different. Not to mention we still don't have true custom firmware on the WiiU yet. As far as I know anyway.

11. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I would think the extra horsepower would warrant a Not64 fork to native Wii U code, and give it a good speed boost.