PS1 / PS2 compatibility

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by nbvcxy206, Sep 25, 2016.

1. nbvcxy206
    OP

nbvcxy206 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2006
    As we know, the first PS3 types CECHA + CECHB support PS2 games by hardware.
    While following types upt to CECHF support PS2 just by software emulation.

My question here:

Do the first PS3 models with PS2 hardware support offer 100% PS2 games compatibility ?
    Or not ?

And if not: How big is the difference in compatibility between the HW and SW models ?

PS: As I have seen there is PS1/2/PSP ISO support in some CFW / mods (Cobra) ... Is this in terms of compatibility compareable to Sonys own solutions ? (HW / SW)

Any hint appreciated, thanks for your time and efforts & sharing your knowledge...

2. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    Yes the first PS3 models had full support for PS2 games considering that they let you put in any PS2 disc to play and so do most of the newer models that can be hacked. The REBUG/COBRA PS2/PSX/PSP support is okay. It plays basically all the games. PSX and PSP no matter what are fully playable on the PS3 because it is native hardware. I think the PS2 works in the same sense. So in basic terms almost any CFW can fully play these games.

3. nbvcxy206
    OP

nbvcxy206 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2006
    Ah, okay, so would you say there is no advantage in buying a first gen PS3 compared to any other hacked PS3 (when it comes to PS1/PS2 games support) ?

4. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    No. In fact buying the first gen would kill your console way faster. Buy a slim that is hackable.

5. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    I admit I haven't followed developments on this, to have any idea what games hackers successfully fixed.
    Officially though, some PS2 games performed better on the first gen.

6. smf

smf GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 23, 2009
    IOP is always software emulated on every PS3. The EE+GS hardware emulator was the best, but you're stuck with a huge and loud PS3 that will die on you eventually. The software EE+hardware GS is ok, I think compatibility drops a little, but speed is generally ok. As soon as you emulate EE+GS then you're stuck with a very limited compatibility list and they don't all run full speed. For PS2 games, you really can't beat having a PS2 and Open PS2 Loader. If you get the right slim then you can mod it to plug in a SATA hard drive.

Because there is no IOP on any of the PS3 then you're always running a software emulator for PS1 games & all PS3 support them. The final PS2 slims emulate IOP in software too, and their PS1 compatibility was worse than the earlier ones with a real IOP. I would tend to use a real PS1 and cdroms, or an emulator on the PC.

Last edited by smf, Sep 26, 2016
  7. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
  8. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    Ah I see my apologies. Every time I played a PS2 game it always worked. Must be different then.