Homebrew PS Remote Play on Wii U is possible ?

Moon164

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I know it's possible to use PS Remote Play on the Nintendo Switch to play PS4 and PS5 games via Remote Play using Chiaki ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/chiaki-ps5-ps4-remote-play-homebrew.564553/ )

I don't have a Nintendo Switch, unfortunately it is extremely expensive here at Braisl, even more expensive than an Xbox Series S, but I have a Wii U and a Nintendo 3DS, I recently found myself thinking how good it would be to be able to play my PS4 games on my Wii U GamePad or even on my 3DS lying on the couch. Is there anything similar for these consoles?

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
didn't you posted this not only in both the 3ds and wii u sections but didn't you posted the same thing again in both seccions like a month ago?

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I know it's possible to use PS Remote Play on the Nintendo Switch to play PS4 and PS5 games via Remote Play using Chiaki ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/chiaki-ps5-ps4-remote-play-homebrew.564553/ )

I don't have a Nintendo Switch, unfortunately it is extremely expensive here at Braisl, even more expensive than an Xbox Series S, but I have a Wii U and a Nintendo 3DS, I recently found myself thinking how good it would be to be able to play my PS4 games on my Wii U GamePad or even on my 3DS lying on the couch. Is there anything similar for these consoles?
I think you need absolutely the answer after reposting the same ;) . I believe that nothing it's impossible, but for the Switch there is a big advantage about; it's based on Nvidia Tegra CPU/GPU system. Which means, who coding for tablet Android and so on for the Switch maybe this chiaki app it's a ported of the official from SONY app. Which means, that the apps can be ported easily and got a big advantage because it uses the mother company app base to port to the Switch, instead of from Android or Switch to Wii U that it's completely different system. For Wii U it will be a project more harder, to whom would like to experiment such things. Also, you should understand that the Wii U it's based on WiFI /n (if I take the fastest line) and the Switch it's under WiFi ac/ (that it's significant more fast for transferring the packages of the datas in real time) . Also , and not for less importance , you have to stream from PS4/5 to the base of the Wii U after the base to the PAD so you will get a lot of latency (translation: unplayable) ...... To go around that maybe you can use all the Ethernet cables and stream from the base to the TV, but in this case will not have senses to stream the PS4/5 to the WiiU.

Last edited by CrisMod,

Moon164

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
To go around that maybe you can use all the Ethernet cables and stream from the base to the TV, but in this case will not have senses to stream the PS4/5 to the WiiU.
If I can play on my Wii U GamePad or my 3DS lying on the bed of my room then it will make sense to me.

I know I could easily use a Smartphone, but I really didn't like the experience using my cell phone, I even considered buying a PS Vita just for that.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation, the reason I posted twice (once on the 3DS post and once on the Wii U post) was because I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in trying to do something like this.

Last edited by Moon164,

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If I can play on my Wii U GamePad or my 3DS lying on the bed of my room then it will make sense to me.

I know I could easily use a Smartphone, but I really didn't like the experience using my cell phone, I even considered buying a PS Vita just for that.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation, the reason I posted twice (once on the 3DS post and once on the Wii U post) was because I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in trying to do something like this.

No problem for me, if you repost and don't get the answers from one side I can understand you, so I was just joke about.
I'm the person theat loves the new implementations to the hardware, especially I think that Wii U it's great machine but abanandoned to it self and by the community this console should be implemented with new things. But here, I try to explain you more deep why your wish it's hard, without to give you some simple negative answer.

One period my cousin ask the same thing, and I tried to go more deep about, and after a lot of sourcing I arrived to these conclusions (to let you understand where the problems are).
Let's say that you will find here, someone that on the bottom of his heart it's so passion to have the same implementation (like your wish) for Wii U and he starts to implement this futures for the console and optimise it as much as he can to work perfectly. So, from my testing, he will face these problems (with all the implementation of final user, to minimize the bottlenecks):
  • The streaming from the PS4 it will work in this way: PS4 --- > High Quality Router --- > Base Wii U Console --- > 5GHZ N Wifi Wii U PAD
  • The streaming from PS4 to Android Phone: PS4 --- > Ethernet High Quality Router --- > WiFi AC 5GHZ Discrete Android Phone
  • The streaming from PS4 to PSVita: PS4 --- > 2.4 GHz WIFI Direct to PSVita (it needs the Router, but It will use it at the beginning, just for the settings because the PSVita it's WiFi N 2.4 GHz biderectional antenna and can connect in WiFi Direct to the console). The 2.4 GHz Wifi and the N, it's not the best for streaming in real time because the 5 GHz it's fastest but shortes as range, but here we have the WiFi Direct that helps it.
So as you can noticed, the Wii U will have more hardwares in between to stream the video image, and what happens, you should know the Input Lag right?! So, the input lag exist from the Console to the TV example (imperceptible) the Projector or some old IPS Monitor (even if less percettable in front of Projector side) suffer so much about Input Lag; the Input Lag it's the moment when you press one button and react to the imagine. So, if you need to play example with Final Fantasy or some other game like The Last of US, that almost of the time it's not requires so fast rections from the situations displaied on the screen; more and less you are fine. But the problems comes if you need to play with some fast FPS game or fighter like Tekken 7 or Mortal Kombat 11. So, when you connect the PS4 (Pro has better specs under WIFi as well) to the Android phone and a nice high costing router ander AC Wifi you will have close or over of 1 second the input lag, I tested in front of my professionl Monitor to stream the same image to my Android Phone Huawei Mate Pro 20. And even from Menu you can experienced of this annoyng input lag.
Now, to have the best resaults, I have isolated the Router and created the special Door where my Phone the Router and PS4 can catch the maximum performance as they can; so the resaults are still not really sutisfied about. Yes, at the beginning you can say it's cool, but when you play more it's a bit pain this in-put lag. Because, what the hardware are processing it's not in real time of what the streaming it's showing.

So, PSVita with the worst hardware specs can processing better in front of the other better specs hardwares because it's Wifi Direct to the Console (similar to Wii U console and Wii U PAD); but the Wii U under this point it's better because has better specs WIFI communication with the base, and it doesn’t need to processing the packaging that the base console will send to the PAD (because the Wii U PAD it's totally SLAVE hardware that display what the console processing). PSVIta can take advantage from WiFi Direct, but it's not really perfect, because it's still needs to processing the packages sent from the console. And another minus of this situation is, for absurd the games displayed. Which means the Playstation games are set to be displayed to the big screen, with space and certain of numbers of pixel, translated have means that the games in PSVIta or in Wii U, the DPI of the screen, to consult the Menu or words in the games will be soooooo small and not readable because an imagine from 40 inch TV it's displayed and shrink into to 5 to 6 inch monitor. So the optimizations to watch the games in such small monitors you will fill dizzy (I can tell you because we already tested. The games of Wii U are already settled to be displayed into the small screen and the Wii or Game Cube can be displayed well because they are small resolution that it's needs to be fit into an Higher resolution 720P screen of the PAD. So, will not be a Higher resolution shrink into a less resolution and smaller display.

So, in the end for 3DS the user experience will be really impossible caused for the power specs of the portable console and for the Wii U side I cannot even imagine wich input lag you can experienced about.

So, I hope to be enough exhaustive about this argument ;).

Last edited by CrisMod,
Reactions: Moon164

Moofl

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, i was looking around for chiaki on wiiu and found this thread.

@CrisMod , it's wrong about the vita, the direct ps4 link is very weak and is only wifi N 2,4ghz, it's the worst solution to stream on vita. Also the vita itself can only use a wifi n 2,4ghz, and is limited to 540p30fps or 60fps if you're very close to your wifi router.

The best quality in term of visuals over the vita would be for the ps4->ethernet-router-ethernet->wiiu->wifi n 5ghz -> wiiutablet.

For the latencies, you definetely need to test this, for plenty games i think it would be totally ok. For latency anyway the best solution is to play on android 5ghz and ps4 wired on ethernet.

Now, with a lack of wiiu solution, on wiiu and if you have an nvidia pc, you can achieve the same thing or almost with chiaki (chiaki has better streaming tweak settings) on pc and moonlight stream.

Reactions: Moon164

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

@CrisMod , it's wrong about the vita, the direct ps4 link is very weak and is only wifi N 2,4ghz, it's the worst solution to stream on vita. Also the vita itself can only use a wifi n 2,4ghz, and is limited to 540p30fps or 60fps if you're very close to your wifi router.

The best quality in term of visuals over the vita would be for the ps4->ethernet-router-ethernet->wiiu->wifi n 5ghz -> wiiutablet.

For the latencies, you definetely need to test this, for plenty games i think it would be totally ok. For latency anyway the best solution is to play on android 5ghz and ps4 wired on ethernet.

Now, with a lack of wiiu solution, on wiiu and if you have an nvidia pc, you can achieve the same thing or almost with chiaki (chiaki has better streaming tweak settings) on pc and moonlight stream.
Hi @Moofl , at that time wasn't moonlight for Wii U, which means the Nvidia service streaming it's thanks to the Nvidia hardware and software that take out the latency.... Where such a close to nothing latency, in my experience, with other services it's near impossible to achieve. Because other stream services doesn't use the GPU to prepare the stream package to stream in your WiFi devices. So , moonlight/ Nvidia experience it's an exception because they use the Nvidia proprietary technology to stream. About Vita, it's true that the WiFi specs it's really weak , but instead of other technology that need to pass between Ps4-Router-Wii U console and Wii U Pad without any hardware that helps the streaming process from the PC to your device; Vita, (after login to your account in internet) use the technology of WiFi Direct that it's different from other streaming service technology by router and devices. Long time ago, I was asking with please , to Gary (the same author of Moonlight porting) if he could port also Chiaki, also to test the performance with Wii U, but unfortunately Gary doesn't have PS4 to test it , other wise (I believe) he was open to make it.

Moon164

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I knew about Moonlight and found it impressive, but as far as I know you need a specific NVidia video card to be able to use it, right?

In addition to Moonlight I also saw that it is also possible to use NTRView that streams the 3DS (in this case only the New 3DS) to the Wii U and works very well and much faster than I expected.

I really don't think it's impossible to do the same with PS4 as Chiaki do it on Switch but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon as interest in creating something like this on Wii U is pretty low not to mention that it must be very difficult to create something like this on the Wii U.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.