PS Jailbreak - The first PS3 Modchip

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll wait for a clone or to see if they can update it past a few Sony updates. They can **** right off at that price if they can't bypass new updates.

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read that the Western Digital scorpio drives are slow..should I just go with the Seagate Momentus drive that I posted above?? I want to get the right drive

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lakerfanalways said:
So I am going to order this internal drive today for the PS3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136568

Or this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148527

Which one is better to go with..both are the same price

Please let me know before ordering if this one is Ok for the PS3..I have firmware 3.41 and I have heard about the issues with upgrading hard drives but according to Sony that issue was resolved but I just want to be sure before ordering..the last thing I need is a bricked PS3..i want to get the hard drive now so that when the jailbreak comes out I will be ready to go

You're probably jumping the gun a bit on buying a new hard drive. Especially considering there's not much known about the mod and any limitations. Some tests of the PS3 seem to indicate that 5400 vs 7200 vs SSD doesn't yield huge benefits in terms of speed when using the PS3 normally. It's a bit hard to translate that to the jailbreak, but it could be that the hard drive interface itself is somehow limited. Thus you won't see too much of the 'slowness' that normally exhibits itself in high performing PC systems.

That said the jailbreak is a unique situation, so previous data might not be valid in this situation. Again we can only really speculate as to any performance issues.

Which drive you go with might end up being personal preference.

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doyama said:
Lakerfanalways said:
So I am going to order this internal drive today for the PS3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136568

Or this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148527

Which one is better to go with..both are the same price

Please let me know before ordering if this one is Ok for the PS3..I have firmware 3.41 and I have heard about the issues with upgrading hard drives but according to Sony that issue was resolved but I just want to be sure before ordering..the last thing I need is a bricked PS3..i want to get the hard drive now so that when the jailbreak comes out I will be ready to go

You're probably jumping the gun a bit on buying a new hard drive. Especially considering there's not much known about the mod and any limitations. Some tests of the PS3 seem to indicate that 5400 vs 7200 vs SSD doesn't yield huge benefits in terms of speed when using the PS3 normally. It's a bit hard to translate that to the jailbreak, but it could be that the hard drive interface itself is somehow limited. Thus you won't see too much of the 'slowness' that normally exhibits itself in high performing PC systems.

That said the jailbreak is a unique situation, so previous data might not be valid in this situation. Again we can only really speculate as to any performance issues.

Which drive you go with might end up being personal preference.
\Since the jailbreak is legit and I dont plan on going online ever with the PS3 or using the PSN Network I am gonna get it, I just found this drive on newegg..what do you think of this one and its actually cheaper then the other two I posted

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...2-204-_-Product

I figured I'd get the drive now, and when the jailbreak is released, either the clone or the real one doesnt matter, I would be ready for it

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lakerfanalways said:
\Since the jailbreak is legit and I dont plan on going online ever with the PS3 or using the PSN Network I am gonna get it, I just found this drive on newegg..what do you think of this one and its actually cheaper then the other two I posted

I figured I'd get the drive now, and when the jailbreak is released, either the clone or the real one doesnt matter, I would be ready for it

To be honest, these days almost any manufacturer of hard drives is pretty much ok. Quality ebbs and flows but I think the days of "DeathStars" and the like are a thing of the past. From my readings on the PS3 hard drive performances in general, you'll be more limited by the apparently crappy PS3 hard drive interface, more than the hard drive itself. Since quality is pretty much flat across the board, and you're not using it for a high I/O performance application, I'd go with whatever is cheaper.

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doyama said:
Lakerfanalways said:

To be honest, these days almost any manufacturer of hard drives is pretty much ok. Quality ebbs and flows but I think the days of "DeathStars" and the like are a thing of the past. From my readings on the PS3 hard drive performances in general, you'll be more limited by the apparently crappy PS3 hard drive interface, more than the hard drive itself. Since quality is pretty much flat across the board, and you're not using it for a high I/O performance application, I'd go with whatever is cheaper.

So in your opinion, Samsung is just fine to go with..I just dont want it dying after a few months..I Read some of the reviews, most are excellent in regards to the PS3 but one person said how it died in 1 month after using it so I wasnt sure which is better to go with..I had read that Western Digital drives are MUCH slower in the PS3 so I wont be getting that one so its between seagate and samsung

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
doyama said:
I think the days of "DeathStars" and the like are a thing of the past.
seagate suffered a huge failure of 7200.11 drives last year

Thanks for the info. I wont be getting seagate then..what do you recommend? Samsung? And the issue Sony was having with 3.41 where it was bricking PS3's that had hard drive upgrades have been resolved right

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lakerfanalways said:
doyama said:
Lakerfanalways said:

So in your opinion, Samsung is just fine to go with..I just dont want it dying after a few months..I Read some of the reviews, most are excellent in regards to the PS3 but one person said how it died in 1 month after using it so I wasnt sure which is better to go with..I had read that Western Digital drives are MUCH slower in the PS3 so I wont be getting that one so its between seagate and samsung

The Samsung should be fine. Somewhat odd that people should report that one brand is a lot slower in the PS3. Unless its a firmware issue or something.

Warranties and the return procedures between Samsung and Seagate are similar now, so there's no difference with either brand in the event the drive dies for some reason. Seagate does have an 'advanced' RMA process but it costs $20, and since the drives are so cheap you might want to reconsider that option. Keeping the original box and static bag is nice in case you need to return, because they're really really fussy if you don't do it right and can reject the RMA. I've not had a Samsung drive, but my Seagate RMA was pretty painless for a single data point of reference.

Drives dying are inevitable but rare. They fall in the usual 3-5% range within the first year, so if it doesn't die within the first month or so you're probably ok for the life of the PS3. Being the last vestiges of mechanical devices in the computer age, they are the most prone to actual malfunctions over time. Hopefully when they are replaced with SSD drive that will be a thing of the past.

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doyama said:
Lakerfanalways said:
doyama said:
Lakerfanalways said:

The Samsung should be fine. Somewhat odd that people should report that one brand is a lot slower in the PS3. Unless its a firmware issue or something.

Warranties and the return procedures between Samsung and Seagate are similar now, so there's no difference with either brand in the event the drive dies for some reason. Seagate does have an 'advanced' RMA process but it costs $20, and since the drives are so cheap you might want to reconsider that option. Keeping the original box and static bag is nice in case you need to return, because they're really really fussy if you don't do it right and can reject the RMA. I've not had a Samsung drive, but my Seagate RMA was pretty painless for a single data point of reference.

Drives dying are inevitable but rare. They fall in the usual 3-5% range within the first year, so if it doesn't die within the first month or so you're probably ok for the life of the PS3. Being the last vestiges of mechanical devices in the computer age, they are the most prone to actual malfunctions over time. Hopefully when they are replaced with SSD drive that will be a thing of the past.

Yeah I seriously dont know what brand to go with..I just want to get one that will not fail..it would be crazy if in a few months it stopped working and my backup games were destroyed..if you were me, which one would you go with..also the issue with firmware 3.41 and the hard drive upgrades have been resolved right

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lakerfanalways said:
Joe88 said:
doyama said:

Thanks for the info. I wont be getting seagate then..what do you recommend? Samsung? And the issue Sony was having with 3.41 where it was bricking PS3's that had hard drive upgrades have been resolved right

True but again these kinds of events are kinda getting few and far between. And hard drives dying people are actually surprised these days, rather than it being a regular occurrence. Plus he's not getting a 7200.11 anyways so it's not relevant in this scenario.

And the 'new' 3.41 patch does address the issues with the hard drives. For some odd reason they kept the 3.41 version name despite it being an update technically.

Getting a failed hard drive is pretty much just a luck of the draw thing. Any manufacturer is going to have that 3-5% failure rate no matter what. No existing manufacturer is beyond these tolerances, so no matter which one you go with, there's always going to be that risk. There's no way to mitigate this risk so just go with the Samsung, since price seems to be a driving factor for you.

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doyama said:
Lakerfanalways said:
Joe88 said:
doyama said:

True but again these kinds of events are kinda getting few and far between. And hard drives dying people are actually surprised these days, rather than it being a regular occurrence. Plus he's not getting a 7200.11 anyways so it's not relevant in this scenario.

And the 'new' 3.41 patch does address the issues with the hard drives. For some odd reason they kept the 3.41 version name despite it being an update technically.

Getting a failed hard drive is pretty much just a luck of the draw thing. Any manufacturer is going to have that 3-5% failure rate no matter what. No existing manufacturer is beyond these tolerances, so no matter which one you go with, there's always going to be that risk. There's no way to mitigate this risk so just go with the Samsung, since price seems to be a driving factor for you.

Well the price is right with the Samsung but the price is also right with Seagate but I just want to get one that is good so I just dont know which one to get

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.game-tuts.com/community/f77/ps3...ked-dddd-29128/

game tut has the knowlege to hard mod a usb pen and the files that go on it to make your own from scratch!

total price to builds these is less than 9 dollars 0_0

"Micro,PIC,32K Fl,TQFP44,PIC18F4550-I/PT
Data Bus Width 8Bit
Device Core PIC
Family Name PIC18
Instruction Set Architecture RISC
Interface Type SPI/I2C/EAUSART
Maximum Clock Rate 48MHz
Maximum Operating Temperature 85°C
Maximum Speed 48MHz
Minimum Operating Temperature -40°C
Mounting Surface Mount
Number of Programmable I/Os 35
Number of Timers 4
On-Chip ADC 13-chx10-bit
Pin Count 44
Product Height 1
Product Length 10
Product Width 10
Program Memory Size 32
Program Memory Type Flash
RAM Size 2KB
Supplier Package TQFP
Typical Operating Supply Voltage 5V

And heres a Pin layout for chip on the actual psjailbreak hardware i threw together for you :
http://imgur.com/GJwFO.jpg
Full datasheet : http://docs-asia.origin.electrocompo...6b80806cfb.pdf

All that's left are a couple SMT's, a crystal oscillator, some surface mount LED's and for someone to take a psjailbreak, stick it in any 18F compatible pic writer and dump the hex contents of the chip and slap it on a bunch of new chips, the single layer PCB is really, really basic.

And the bad part?, as far as the original makers are concerned, the device is so simple that it will be no different, in any way, to the original, when cloned.
Think of this, not as a PS2 modchip, but more like the original PIC based ps1 modchip - The only thing that differentiated the various models was the code on them, not the hardware itself - the hardware will be the same, as will the contents of the chip.

Oh, and for the record, the parts (not in bulk, but for a single unit, from connectors to chip and so on), is £5.68 ( $8.82 ), if you were making these things in bulk, that price drops to £2.14 ( $ 3.32 ) per unit.

People buying the thing at $170AUS either have more money than sense, or no sense at all. "

Not my tech info credit goes to oscar from game tut

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro