Proper way to transfer saves from Wii to Wii U for vWii

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by martygng, Dec 17, 2016.

1. martygng
    OP

martygng Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2009
    United States
    I only have a few games I still play on my Wii, a total of < 64 GB. However, they are on a 500 GB hard drive. I just got a Wii U, and would like to move that to my Wii U. Is there any reason I can't copy everything from the 500 GB USB hard drive onto a 64 GB flash drive? I probably wouldn't play them much, but it would be nice to have them.

Once that's done, I would want my Wii saves to get transferred to the Wii U. What is the proper way to do this right now? Woudl I use the official Wii System Transfer tool? (If that's even still available to download) http://en-americas-support.nintendo...how-to-transfer-content-from-a-wii-to-a-wii-u

2. martygng
    OP

martygng Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2009
    United States
    Anyone? Surely someone's done this recently.

3. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I would look for a wii compatible homebrew savegame manager. The vWii is completely hackable just like the wii so you should be able to install the homebrew channel on the vWii on your Wii U and then use some sort of savegame manager from the Homebrew Browser inside of the vWii to transfer your saves.

4. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    There is "Savegame Manager GX" for Wii and there is "Savegame Manager GX" for vWii.
    Use the first one to dump saves to SD and the second one to inject them back on vWii.
    Of course both need to be softmodded which is super easy nowadays.
    It could be the case that you would have to launch every game at least once on the vWii to create a savegame in which your old could be inserted into.
    And I had issues with a few games which focus on a Mii for their savegame. These might be a bit harder to do but once you got to these problems, just report back here and we'll find a solution.
    If you don't know how to quickly softmod Wii and vWii in a few minutes just tell me. I'll provide super easy links then once I'm on my PC.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Make a backup of your saves with Savegame Manager GX, then use the official system transfer. When I did the official system transfer there were some saves that didn't transfer across so use both to make sure everything transfers.