Hardware Problems with splitter?

Do your switch have problems using a HDMI splitter?

• Total voters

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just curious if anyone here who uses a HDMI splitter on their monitor experience connection issues. I use one cause my TV doesn't have enough ports for all my consoles. When I put the switch into the dock, the screen switches to display my switch like normal. Then when I put it to sleep mode, it doesn't turn back on until I reinsert the dock again. What it supposed to do is if there is a input already in use on the splitter, it should switch to the switch input when turned on and then back to the previous one when put into sleep mode. A month ago, this is how it was working and doing things as wanted but now I just don't know why. I'm not asking for help, just curious if others had issues with using a splitter. I kinda regret not getting one with a remote, which i may do next time. :unsure:

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just curious if anyone here who uses a HDMI splitter on their monitor experience connection issues. I use one cause my TV doesn't have enough ports for all my consoles. When I put the switch into the dock, the screen switches to display my switch like normal. Then when I put it to sleep mode, it doesn't turn back on until I reinsert the dock again. What it supposed to do is if there is a input already in use on the splitter, it should switch to the switch input when turned on and then back to the previous one when put into sleep mode. A month ago, this is how it was working and doing things as wanted but now I just don't know why. I'm not asking for help, just curious if others had issues with using a splitter. I kinda regret not getting one with a remote, which i may do next time. :unsure:
What this splitter look like?

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
no. i however have problem connecting my switch to a specific capture card which turns the switch into 720p even tho the capture card should be able to take pretty much any resolution. works fine in 1080p with a different cap card.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's a HDMI switch, not a splitter (a splitter would be for plugging one HDMI device into multiple displays)
That functionality relies on HDMI-CEC, it's possible that your HDMI switch doesn't support it properly.
I don't know why it would stop working if it worked before though. Maybe a Switch update changed something with how it handles HDMI-CEC.
Is the HDMI switch powered? I have had some weird issues with a non-powered HDMI switch although for the most part it works as expected. Non powered switches can be hit and miss depending on what's plugged into them and what cables are used/how long the cables are, so any changes you made to those things could affect it.
The non-powered HDMI switch I'm using won't work with the Switch at all, it was one of the first things I tried as the JoyCons were unusable with the Switch near the TV and I didn't have a longer HDMI cable so I used it just to connect two HDMI cables together. Weirdly it seems to work fine with mostly everything else. I'm guessing the signal coming from the dock simply isn't strong enough to travel through the non-powered HDMI switch.

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
no. i however have problem connecting my switch to a specific capture card which turns the switch into 720p even tho the capture card should be able to take pretty much any resolution. works fine in 1080p with a different cap card.
Have you started a game? Always the menu of the switch is docked in 720p. Only the games are 1080p.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you mean an HDMI switcher, I use one. Mine plugs into my capture card. I actually noticed some weirdness like this a few times. For me I have to sit there and mess with it for a while. Once it works it stays working till I unplug the HDMI from the dock. No idea why. Maybe because it's a cheap chinese HDMI switch? Couldn't say for sure.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
hey mate, i had issues with ps3 for this.
and i believe not just ps3, wiiu/ps4.

i tried multiple brands of hdmi splitters also because i needed 5 ports.
since my tv has only 3.

anyways, hdmi splitter not just caused issues with my console giving a good image, but also wrecked one of my hdmi ports.

so i never since used a splitter again, i now just use the normal hdmi ports.
i think the splitters are not so safe to use.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hey mate, i had issues with ps3 for this.
and i believe not just ps3, wiiu/ps4.

i tried multiple brands of hdmi splitters also because i needed 5 ports.
since my tv has only 3.

anyways, hdmi splitter not just caused issues with my console giving a good image, but also wrecked one of my hdmi ports.

so i never since used a splitter again, i now just use the normal hdmi ports.
i think the splitters are not so safe to use.
Were any of those splitters powered?

Reactions: leonmagnus99

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes one of them was, but i did not use the power adapter that came with it.
...Try the power adapter.

HDMI switches are great in theory, but the main thing is that they don't seem to reliably pull the power they need to function properly from the HDMI inputs. For example, Neither the NES classic or Switch will work with any of my unpowered ones - even the more expensive ones, but they work perfectly with a dirt cheap Chinese one that uses it's own power plug.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
...Try the power adapter.

HDMI switches are great in theory, but the main thing is that they don't seem to reliably pull the power they need to function properly from the HDMI inputs. For example, Neither the NES classic or Switch will work with any of my unpowered ones - even the more expensive ones, but they work perfectly with a dirt cheap Chinese one that uses it's own power plug.

i think it was a unpowered cheap chinese one that wrecked one of my hdmi ports from my TV.
from 3 to only 2 usable hdmi ports, thus i am staying away from all kind of splitters.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2