Problems W/ Dragon Quest XI

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for some reason, I get very low fps with this game. I think I have adequate specs, but even at 0 for every video option, it still runs slow as hell. no matter what I do there's no change in speed. the options section and the title screen = no problem. the opening movie sequence is also not much of a problem albeit with a frame skip here and there. once I get to the overworld, though, it becomes unplayable. I hope I didn't just waste $60 on this. :( any help?

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's your CPU? This game has several performance problems, but the main one is that it needs a powerful CPU, people with i7 7700k have drops into the 40s in cities. Although in the overworld it shouldn't be too bad unless your CPU is extremely weak.

Reactions: godreborn

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
What specs?

Are you running it in full screen mode, or borderless windowed?

On my laptop (which is quite below the "minimum specs, but still runs the game at 30fps), DQXI runs much better in borderless windowed mode at 1080p than normal fullscreen mode at 720p. If you are using fullscreen, then swap to borderless window.

EDIT:
AMD FX-9800P Radeon R7
Ok, those specs are actually worse than mine so I don't think you're going to be able to play this game at a decent playable framerate. Your GPU in particular is quite bad, and is probably the cause here. Older AMD APUs = not so good for gaming.

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I tried that. no matter which setting I choose there's no change. is there an app that can quickly print out my specs to paste here?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I tried that. no matter which setting I choose there's no change. is there an app that can quickly print out my specs to paste here?
You can try speccy, but there really is no need, that CPU will not run the game smoothly no matter what you change. It's weaker than an FX-6300 (which I have), and I get drops in cities. Your best bet would be to lock it to 30fps so you at least get a somewhat more consistent frame rate. The game also needs a more powerful GPU. If you absolutely want to play it you could do ini file edits to lower some settings.

could the cpu/gpu be responsible for sluggish internet as well?
Not really, but since I'm guessing it's a netbook, it could have a slow wireless card.

Last edited by Edgarska,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if I choose to upgrade, how much do you think is a good price to go with when it comes to a cpu/gpu? I'm wanting something maybe in the middle, so not too expensive.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if I choose to upgrade, how much do you think is a good price to go with when it comes to a cpu/gpu? I'm wanting something maybe in the middle, so not too expensive.

That really depends on your definition of expensive. And also if you want to keep components, you're severely limited as to what CPU you can get, since it needs to be the same socket. If you want to build something from scratch, I think the GTX 1060 is a good middle ground regarding performance/price, but if you just want to be able to play newer games without caring about high graphics even a 1050 ti is a good compromise (1050 ti, not the regular 1050).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.