Problems regarding PS2

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
My PS2 is making a lot of noise and if I insert the MCs the farthest possible, they aren't recognized (if I loose them a bit, they are). I have these problems for years and recently my DualShock 2 has had drift.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Rich8606

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
What PS2? Fat?

What kind of noise? A grinding noise? Could be the fan's ball bearing.

As for the memory card, have you tried the second slot? Do you have other card to try? If a different cars also doesn't work on BOTH slots, then the memory card/controller port is failing. You need to get a replacement port and/or cable, I replaced my fat PS2?s port recently. The port and cable are clip ons, should be easy to replace. Dunno about the slim and super slim though.

As for the drifting analog stick, your left analog main spring has weakened, the stick can't recenter itself fully to its 0, 0 position. Unless you know how to solder, there's not much you can do to replace an analog module.

Attachments

• 20220416_230341.jpg
    20220416_230341.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 20220416_230353.jpg
    20220416_230353.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 3D-Analog-Titre-im-Joystick-I-in-360-Thumbstick-Denetleyici-Sens-r-Mod-l-Rocker-Xbox.jpg
    3D-Analog-Titre-im-Joystick-I-in-360-Thumbstick-Denetleyici-Sens-r-Mod-l-Rocker-Xbox.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: zfreeman

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My PS2 is doing a lot of noise
Does it boot to the browser? Is it a grinding noise made by the laser/disc drive? You can open it up and hold some sensors (the ones the plastic shell presses when a disc is inserted and the shell is closed) that way you can hear if it's coming from disc drive's motor, or when the laser scrolls up and down trying to read the disc.

if I stick the Memory Cards the farthest they aren't recognized.
Blow or clean the contacts with IPA & q-tips, check the pins on the PS2 as well they're not corroded or dirty, blow/clean them up as well.
And you're sure the MC works? Test another MC you have to eliminate that possibility..
I have these problems for years and recently the DualShock 2's left analog stick starts to move by itself some times.
You can open up the controller, get some IPA & q-tips and clean the insides of the joystick while moving it in different directions, get rid of any dirt/debris etc.
You can also check if the round potentiometers are vertical and not skewed, you can tell by those two white plastic parts sticking outside as shown in the img above, look up YT videos as to how to open & clean/fix them.
If both didn't work, you might need to find a replacement..

Last edited by CoolMe,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What PS2? Fat?

What kind of noise? A grinding noise? Could be the fan's ball bearing.

As for the memory card, have you tried the second slot? Do you have other card to try? If a different cars also doesn't work on BOTH slots, then the memory card/controller port is failing. You need to get a replacement port and/or cable, I replaced my fat PS2?s port recently. The port and cable are clip ons, should be easy to replace. Dunno about the slim and super slim though.

As for the drifting analog stick, your left analog main spring has weakened, the stick can't recenter itself fully to its 0, 0 position. Unless you know how to solder, there's not much you can do to replace an analog module.

No, Slim.

I don't know how to explain.

I tried inserting the MCs the farthest possible on both slots and now they were recognized.

I bought an used controller and so far, so good, although the problem was random.

Does it boot to the browser? Is it a grinding noise made by the laser/disc drive? You can open it up and hold some buttons (the ones the plastic shell presses when a disc is inserted and the shell is closed) that way you can hear if it's coming from disc drive's motor, or when the laser scrolls up and down trying to read the disc.

Blow or clean the contacts with IPA & q-tips, check the pins on the PS2 as well they're not corroded or dirty, blow/clean them up as well.
And you're sure the MC works? Test another MC you have to eliminate that possibility..

You can open up the controller, get some IPA & q-tips and clean the insides of the joystick while moving it in different directions, get rid of any dirt/debris etc.
You can also check if the round potentiometers are vertical and not skewed, you can tell by those two white plastic parts sticking outside as shown in the img above, look up YT videos as to how to open & clean/fix them.
If both didn't work, you might need to find a replacement..

Sorry, but could you tell me exactly which buttons to hold with an image and maybe some arrows or something since english isn't even my native language?

Also, could you help me here? This problem is annoying and I don't know if it's caused by the HDMI switch (I already tested other devices on it and I had no problems and I tested another HDMI cable on the PS2 to HDMI adapter but the problem continues) and if I should buy official composite cables (I no longer have them) since I didn't have this problem with them (I have third-party component cables but they make my TV have blackouts and the official ones are very expensive) and I've been buying HDMI switches and they stop working quickly, which I find it odd, and I pretend to buy a new TV but I don't know if it will have a composite inputs, and if it does, I don't know if I should return to the PS2 to HDMI adapter again or buy a composite to HDMI adapter and keep using composite cables.

Rich8606

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
If the memory card works, then the slot connection is either dirty/oxidized. Spray it with contact cleaner if you have it.

As for the HDMI, the problem goes away if turn it off and on again? Weird, doesn't seem like a dirty connection problem.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If the memory card works, then the slot connection is either dirty/oxidized. Spray it with contact cleaner if you have it.

As for the HDMI, the problem goes away if turn it off and on again? Weird, doesn't seem like a dirty connection problem.

But if they're recognizing them now when they're inserted the farthest possible, does that mean I shouldn't even need to do that?

Yes, maybe it's related to the PS2 to HDMI adapter, its USB or HDMI cables, the HDMI switch or its HDMI cable, the TV or the PS2.

Rich8606

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Well, if it works then fine. But you really should clean it if the connection is not good, you shouldn't need to push the memory card that further in to make it work.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird, I tried sticking the Memory Cards the farthest I could on both slots and now they were recognized. It may be too sensitive.
Did you clean it? if not, it could be just dirty.. if it was faulty, it would just flat out not work..
Sorry, but could you tell me exactly which buttons to hold with a picture and maybe some arrows.
There are two sensors you need to press down in order for the disc to spin if your system is disassembled, the upper one is located on the top left to laser assembly, you need to use a flathead screwdriver to press on it, using your finger might result in an electric shock.
The 2nd one is on the power button, just use your hand to power the system and to hold that sensor button. (Blurry) Images below.

Ec0s6u1UMAAp_M2.jpg

12a.png

This is the one on top.
Also, could you help me here? This problem is annoying and I don't know if it's caused by the HDMI Switch (I already tested other devices on it and I had no problems
Ok.
and I tested another HDMI cable on the PS2 to HDMI adapter but the problem continues)
What brand are you using? And are you plugging it to the hdmi switcher? I suggest not.
Also even if the hdmi switcher works with other hdmi devices doesn't mean it will work with the PS2 HDMI adapter.
and if I should buy official composite cables (I no longer have them) since I didn't have this problem with them
I suggest buying and testing with them, to eliminate the probability that your tv is faulty..
(I have non-official component cables but they make my TV screen to flicker and the official ones are very expensive)
Shouldn't happen unless the cables were messed up but whatever..
and I've been buying HDMI Switches and they stop working quickly, which is weird,
Because you're buying low quality ones, i suggest doing your research and buying quality ones, since you're so persistent in using them..
and I pretend to buy a new TV but I don't know if it will have a composite input, and if it does,
Simple, just ask or check the tv before buying it. Also you can always get OSSC upscaler, but again it's your choice.
I don't know if I should go back to the PS2 to HDMI adapter again or buy a composite to HDMI adapter and keep on using the composite cables.
Composite to hdmi adapters suck, most of them are cheaply built which will introduce even more problems..

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My PS2 is doing a lot of noise and if I stick the Memory Cards the farthest they aren't recognized (if I loose them a bit, they are). I have these problems for years and recently the DualShock 2's left analog stick starts to move by itself some times.
The fan is probably going bad. You could consider upgrading it with a quiet fan mod like https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps2-fat-quiet-fan-mod-w-noctua-fan.558129/
As for the memory cards, you probably just need to clean the pins in the memory cards and the console itself. IPA and a Q-tip is fine, Deoxit is even better as it will remove oxidization that IPA doesn't do anything for.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, if it works then fine. But you really should clean it if the connection is not good, you shouldn't need to push the memory card that further in to make it work.

I only put it that way because I'd thought they wouldn't be recognized and because I thought it was supposed to do so.

Did you clean it? if not, it could be just dirty.. if it was faulty, it would just flat out not work..

There are two sensors you need to press down in order for the disc to spin if your system is disassembled, the upper one is located on the top left to laser assembly, you need to use a flathead screwdriver to press on it, using your finger might result in an electric shock.
The 2nd one is on the power button, just use your hand to power the system and to hold that sensor button. (Blurry) Images below.

View attachment 306458

View attachment 306462
This is the one on top.

Ok.

What brand are you using? And are you plugging it to the hdmi switcher? I suggest not.
Also even if the hdmi switcher works with other hdmi devices doesn't mean it will work with the PS2 HDMI adapter.

I suggest buying and testing with them, to eliminate the probability that your tv is faulty..

Shouldn't happen unless the cables were messed up but whatever..

Because you're buying low quality ones, i suggest doing your research and buying quality ones, since you're so persistent in using them..

Simple, just ask or check the tv before buying it. Also you can always get OSSC upscaler, but again it's your choice.

Composite to hdmi adapters suck, most of them are cheaply built which will introduce even more problems..

Unfortunately, I don't know how to disassemble it, and even if I knew, I probably would mess it up.

This is the PS2 to HDMI adapter I've been using with the USB cable that came with it.

It worked with the previous composite cables (I no longer have them) and it was working fine with this adapter previously but I could try buying composite cables and try them again or first buying a HDMI switch with over 3 HDMI ports (like my 2) and preferably 4K and with a remote controller.

Since they weren't official, is it possible? Or maybe it's my TV's fault?

I use them because I only have 2 HDMI inputs for 5 devices. I don't know how to start. There are a lot of brands, with different resolutions and number of HDMI inputs, not to mention the price and if they come with a remote controller or not.

That's very expensive.

And does this PS2 to HDMI adapter suck?

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the PS2 to HDMI adapter I've been using. An USB cable that came with it.
Looks like a generic Chinese one to me.
It work with the previous composite cable and it was working fine with this adapter previously but I could try buying composite cables and try them again
Yes.. And could be the adapter just broke..
or first buying a HDMI switch with more than 3 ports (like my 2)
Forget about the switch for now, focus on getting a regular composite cable just for the sake of testing..
I use them because I only have two HDMI ports for 5 devices. I don't know how to start. There are a lot of brands, with different resolutions and number of ports, not to mention the price and if they come with a remote controller or not.
Look through this list. Just don't get generic ones with "4K" "HDMI" in the title, and no brand name..
Even if I did it, I don't have the tools to clean it.
I don't know what tell you..

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Forget about the switch for now, focus on getting a regular composite cable just for the sake of testing..

Look through this list. Just don't get generic ones with "4K" "HDMI" in the title, and no brand name..

Is there an official one? Also, will the quality change if connected by composite or HDMI cables?

Rich8606

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
That is the same one I use for my PS2. I only started using it in the past 2 weeks though. It's fairly cheap though, can't you buy another one?

Attachments

• 20220413_001952.jpg
    20220413_001952.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 81

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

I bought the SGEYR one but it didn't arrive yet. If I still have this issue with this HDMI switch I think I'll order official component cables and hope I don't have blackouts with them.

That is the same one I use for my PS2. I only started using it in the past 2 weeks though. It's fairly cheap though, can't you buy another one?

Do modern TVs come with component inputs?

EDIT: I still have the blackout problem with the SGEYR HDMI switch. I've ordered official component cables.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

So, the official component cables arrived and although I don't notice a difference between them and the PS2 to HDMI adapter, I'm not having blackouts.

To have display in most PS1 (and some PS2) discs working on my HDTV via component cables (just like before with the PS2 to HDMI adapter), I had to follow this (I didn't change offset settings but it still worked) and it seems I'll have to do it every time I want to have display im most PS1 discs (and some PS2's), which is annoying. What would I do if I didn't have a MC with FMCB and GSM? Would I have this issue on a modern TV if using Portta with component cables?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, the PS2 component cables arrived and although I don't notice a difference between them and the PS2 to HDMI Converter I'm not having the flickering screen problem and so far the TV is also not having the black screen issue too, although the latter was random and so I guess I should wait some more time.

To get PS1 bought games to work on my HDTV via component cables (just like before with the PS2 to HDMI Converter), I had to follow this (I didn't change offset settings but it still worked). What would I do if I didn't have a FMCB MC? Would I have this issue on a modern TV if using component cables together with portta?
not sure, could've been the cable or adapter, if using one. I have my ps2 going through the framemeister (for psx games and retro games mostly). sometimes the video doesn't appear, and I think it's the switcher considering I can switch to a different channel, then it works. kinda a pita for games that go between 240p and 480p like the mega man collections x and anniversary.

Reactions: CoolMe

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
not sure, could've been the cable or adapter, if using one. I have my ps2 going through the framemeister (for psx games and retro games mostly). sometimes the video doesn't appear, and I think it's the switcher considering I can switch to a different channel, then it works. kinda a pita for games that go between 240p and 480p like the mega man collections x and anniversary.

Now the PS2 isn't reading any discs! Could it be the PS1 disc broke it? I'm tired of having bad luck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn