Hacking problem with system update on disc

MaGnUmKiLLa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm sure this is kind of a stupid question but, I need some help.

I have an up to date hacked wii with all the newest ios's and cio's and all that jazz but, I just rented a copy of Fortune Street and it's acting like the disc itself has a system update.

What's the best way to get around that? I'm assuming that I should not just let it run but since I'm using the actual disc, I'm not exactly positive what to do.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have any cIOS files installed, then the disc update probably just wants to stub them. It's recommended that you install Priiloader and enable the Block Disc Updates and Block Online Updates hacks. I recommend you download Priiloader through ModMii.

If you're just looking for a temporary fix, you can also just launch the game in Gecko OS or NeoGamma and bypass the system menu altogether.

MaGnUmKiLLa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you all very much for your informative and hasty response. I'm not a huge fan of Priiloader so, I'll probably just run it thru NeoGamma. I wish there was a way to just make the disc think that I had whatever it was trying to update.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Well, you are not a fan of priiloader either because you are not educated enough on wii hacking or you have heard some horror stories about priiloader.

I will tell you that you really do want priiloader whether you know it or not, but you do. Rehack your wii using ModMii and all of your worries will be gone.

MaGnUmKiLLa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to be rude but, I've hacked several wii's and had my own hacked for years now and I've just never needed it. If you do it right, you don't have to worry about bricking your wii. I know it's the safer bet but, I just don't care for it.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to be rude but, I've hacked several wii's and had my own hacked for years now and I've just never needed it. If you do it right, you don't have to worry about bricking your wii. I know it's the safer bet but, I just don't care for it.
It's pretty negligent to hack other peoples' Wii systems and not expect them to run into the same issue you're dealing with now. It's also possible that not all of the Wii systems you have hacked have a vulnerable boot2 and you're modifying peoples' Wii systems without installing any form of brick-protection. Priiloader blocks disc (and online) updates and essentially "makes the disc think that it has whatever it's trying to update," just like you want. Priiloader acts as a form of brick-protection and makes a Wii "noob-proof" by preventing unnecessary updates. Due to the presence of various cIOS files, many discs will want to apply updates to your Wii. You can either:
  1. Only have official up-to-date IOS files (and SM 4.3) on your Wii
  2. Inconveniently use something like NeoGamma or Gecko OS to bypass the system menu every time you want to run a retail disc that wants to apply updates
  3. Install Priiloader (or something like it) with hacks
The choice should be obvious.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Well, you are obviously not versed in the community consensus here. We know what is standard to have, and if you don't want to do the standard workings then only you are to blame when an issue comes up with your wii or someone elses wii.
Honestly, if you were so all knowing without issues then you would not have created this thread. How about you just trust the many people who are telling you better instead of trusting your own uninformed self.

Reactions: 1 person

MaGnUmKiLLa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See, this is why I hate this site. I asked a simple question and had two people give me a quick and concise answer and I thought to myself, "Wow, that's the first time that's ever happened on gbatemp."

Of course though, that couldn't have been the end of it. Nope, had to have some random douche bags pop up and tell me that I don't know what I'm doing, even though you have no idea who I am or how experienced I am with the hacking scene.

Did you people build Priiloader? I make one comment about not liking one random program and you all jump my case. I don't use it because I don't need it. I'm going on 3 years and multiple Wii's and I've never once bricked. If you must know, I'm running a new Wii now and hadn't set up the back up launchers yet and for a mere moment of ignorance, I forgot how exactly the best route of handling a disc based update was. I truly apologize for my stupidity and how I'm flaunting it in front of you gods of Wii hacking.

So how about this, if I ask a question, you either answer it or you just shut up and leave it alone. This is suppose to be a community where people can come and educate themselves, not be criticized over every single action they take.

loco365

Trophies
XP
See, this is why I hate this site. I asked a simple question and had two people give me a quick and concise answer and I thought to myself, "Wow, that's the first time that's ever happened on gbatemp."

Of course though, that couldn't have been the end of it. Nope, had to have some random douche bags pop up and tell me that I don't know what I'm doing, even though you have no idea who I am or how experienced I am with the hacking scene.

Did you people build Priiloader? I make one comment about not liking one random program and you all jump my case. I don't use it because I don't need it. I'm going on 3 years and multiple Wii's and I've never once bricked. If you must know, I'm running a new Wii now and hadn't set up the back up launchers yet and for a mere moment of ignorance, I forgot how exactly the best route of handling a disc based update was. I truly apologize for my stupidity and how I'm flaunting it in front of you gods of Wii hacking.

So how about this, if I ask a question, you either answer it or you just shut up and leave it alone. This is suppose to be a community where people can come and educate themselves, not be criticized over every single action they take.
We're only telling you this because it can be a useful utility for later on. Why? If you're hacking other people's Wiis, and they don't really know how it works in it's entirety, and they do end up bricking their Wii, you could use Priiloader to fix the brick, provided it's not a full brick. Or, even better, use the system menu hacks, and if you do hack someone's Wii and they don't understand the idea of not updating, you can enable the system menu hacks to prevent it in the first place.

And this comes from a person that actually took the advice of the people here and ModMii and knows what NOT to do with a Wii.

Reactions: 1 person

stev418

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
These are the few methods i can think of.

1 - Use simply priiloader hacks

2 - Use a disc loader that disables disc update checks (eg. neogamma)

3 - Run your ISO's through Wii BrickBlocker to blank the update partition, if you're using retail games, dump them with cleanrip and then run them through Wii BrickBlocker. This utility will replace the update partition on the disc with a generic partition so the disc will never ask for an update. I have v1.3, but i think the latest release is v1.3R2 which adds dual-layer game support. Yes im aware you said you rented the game, but its still unclear how your wii is hacked and if you use it for playing disc based backups or not, so this solution may very well be a satisfactory one.

4 - Use StartPatch (like priiloader hacks, but hardpatches.)

5 - Update your system to 4.3 and update all IOS including the stubbed ones (eg. IOS249 IOS250) then install your d2x cIOS to either slot 248 or 247. Obviously this may cause issues depending on what apps you use on your wii, you can always recompile apps to use IOS248 or just find IOS58 versions.

6 - Un-hack your wii completely

Option are ordered in what i would view as most preferable/easiest.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Lol i dont use Priloader either i prefer Startpatch.
Never had the old "Your system files are corrupt message" with Startpatch while in the system settings menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1