Gaming Problem with recording.

Bloodhawk758

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I got some major problem while recording games. Example , Running gta iv with graphics mod 35-60 fps and recording at 5-10 fps (wtf?!)
And games like world of warcraft, 250 fps and 20 with fraps...? Any clue what the problem can be?
And yes i've tried programs like WeGames etc.. and all have similar problem.
When i record i only have the game running nothing else in the background.

Comp specs

GTX 560ti - clock at 1000mhz
AMD 1090T 6 core at 3.2Ghz
6GB Ram 1333mhz speed

If u wonder any other specs just ask.

Sorry for my bad english. :/

Bloodhawk758

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
CPU usage without fraps, 10 % and 42% while recording.
No different between full and windowed screen.
And slighy different with lower resolution.
I start to wonder if the problem is my HDD, like it comes from an old dell dimension 8400 from 2004-05?? >.>
And the lag is kinda annoying cus i can record like 30sec-1min untill it starts to lag like crazy.
I got a vid to show, Recording in 60fps >.> It was 60 fps in the movie but i just choosed the easiest rendering settings lol look at like 0:20 sec when the lags starts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RvE93p_7rg&feature=youtu.be

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What resolution are you frapsing WoW in? 1920x1080?
Is your fraps output directory on an older (IDE/SATA1/or worse, external) mechanical HDD? That does actually make some difference for full res video.

I have the same CPU but I have a different graphics card and more RAM than you, but I've never attempted to FRAPS in full HD.
I can probably do it to help you find some good settings, but I have a couple suggestions to make first:

If you intend to do any FRAPS of combat, set a fixed, lower record framerate like 23 FPS or so. There's a checkbox somewhere there you need to make sure that fraps doesn't LOCK framerate, that will force your game to playback at the locked framerate which I'm sure you know will suck.

I used to fraps my arena matches and the occasional 10 man raids, but because i had limited disk space i did it at half resolution, the results I've actually shared at all wound up @ http://www.youtube.com/JasminePVP
All of those were recorded on an old AM2+ Phenom 9950 2.6 GHz Quad system with 4 GB RAM & a Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 (output to 7200 RPM SATA2 HDD)

I also did some frapsing in Aion which is more intensive a game than WoW but again, did so at half res.

edit: re-read the post.. your HDD is likely an issue :( but please look into the other things i said

Bloodhawk758

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried my brothers hard drives and it works perfect while recording, guess i need to get a new hdd. :P But thanks guys for the help. Any Advice what hdd i chould buy, which ones re bad and which ones are good?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My advice would vary depending on what kind of videos you intend to make and what you have access to for archiving.

I still only have a 500GB hard drive in my desktop though I've upgraded a lot of the other stuff, but now that I have a Bluray burner I can periodically clear some of the uncompressed video off the HDD without discarding it.

If you want to shoot high res, high framerate, heavy action video, you might actually prefer to get a moderate (60-100 GB) sized SSD for use as your output directory, and for editing. If you do this, you'll have the best performance while recording and editing but you will have to pay close attention to your disk capacity if you shoot long video.
I am actually planning on repurposing the 60GB SSD from my laptop to my desktop for this reason, but I am awaiting a hard drive for my laptop in the mail still. I already have a 120 GB SSD in my desktop but it's for game installations.

For video that you intend to share (youtube or w/e) you should not really go beyond 30 FPS because every uncompressed high rez frame adds up FAST. But if you are a fan of slow motion zooming and panning effects you can do some fun shit with the detail you'd get for doing the recordings itself at a high framerate.

edit: a forgotten point i meant to make --
With mechanical, 7200 RPM SATA I, II, or III - just don't go for an "economy storage" (i.e. "Green") drive. If you're good about deleting unnecessary footage periodically and/or don't keep the source footage after your videos are fully produced, 320-750 GB should be fine (in view of how expensive mechanical HDD are right now)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since