Problem with qoob pro 1.3c

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by evoo1, Aug 7, 2012.

Aug 7, 2012

Problem with qoob pro 1.3c by evoo1 at 10:11 PM (1,218 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. evoo1
    OP

Member evoo1 GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    Years ago I purchased a black PAL Gamecube, modded with a qoob Pro. It also game with a few burned games, which I tried booting back then and it worked flawlessly.

Today I hooked the console up again to play some Gauntlet. By instinct I burned the image on a CD and tried booting it, which didnt work (qoob told me he can't read the disc).

Out of curiosity I tried booting up one of the old games that game with the console and the same thing happened. I did noticed though, that the guy I bought the console from didn't burn the image on a cd, but rather burnt the cd as a "data dvd" with the image file (iso) on it.

Here's where it gets weird. I fiddled around with the old game and the qoob bios, and at some point, by pressing "B", through the main menu an option popped up that let me allow to browse the contents of the DVD. The image file of the game showed up (ikura), I was able to select it, boot it, and the game started.

After that I reburned Gauntlet the same way (data disc, imagefile on dvd as just a file) and tried to replicate the whole browsing the DVD contents thing, but couldn't. Even using the old game I couldn't reproduce it. The option just wouldn't show up anymore at all.

tl;dr:
    using qoob pro 1.3c, I was able to browse the contents of a DVD with an imagefile on it (iso), select the image and boot the game that way. Was not able to reproduce the same thing with different game (but same burning method) or same game.

I have no idea what is happening here, and real sources for information about the qoob are rather rare.
    Hope anyone here can help!

2. Tom

Member Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

United States
    Not all backups work well , sometimes the laser intensity needs to be adjusted to get them to play right

3. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    If the qoob can boot homebrew off off a DVD then you could burn Swiss to the DVD.
    The load game ISO's off off an SDGecko.

4. shengtian

Newcomer shengtian Member

United States
    Thank you for sharing.I will be to try.

5. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    You might need to do a pot mod. (read up on google)

6. wiismodrome

Member wiismodrome flubber

Seychelles
    The lasers used in the Gamecube's disc reader tend to be finicky with backups. Some units will read a wide variety of burned media without much trouble, while others require specific types of discs and need to be adjusted to within a very narrow range. As a general suggestion, try setting the laser pot in the 170 - 220 Ω range. See how that works, then adjust up or down from there. Use larger increments to start (say 50 Ω), then smaller increments (~ 5 Ω) to fine tune. DVD-R media may be more reliable than DVD+R. Ritek G04 tends to work well if using mini-discs.