Hacking Problem - Using AK2i with updated 3DS

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, having a new problem with the update, and it seems like no one's seeing my post within the thread so I decided to make a topic about it.

So originally, I was able to update the AK2i successfully to the newest bootloader with the sword icon. Both my friend and I are sharing the cart, until I get the microSD in the mail to load up, and then I'll give it to him. I updated the AK2i on my DSi, 1.4U successfully and it worked like a charm on my 3DS 3.0.0.6U. My friend's 3DS was 3.0.0.6U until he accidentally updated it to 4.0.0.7U with the AK2i cartridge inside Slot-1 after receiving the update alert. He powered off his 3DS in attempt to stop the update while it was updating but it was not successful. He's reporting the cart not working with the 3DS now, and it's greyed out like there's no game in there. It works fine in his DSi, version 1.4.1U. It also works just fine in my 3.0.0.6U 3DS and my 1.4U DSi.

From what I gather, the card clearly isn't bricked since it still works with the DSi. Can I try loading the bootloader update software again? Or will that brick the card because I've already done it once with this version? Please help! I'm wondering if a clean install would help.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Of course the cart won't work with the 3ds. He turned it off whilst the 3ds was updating.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
his 3ds must have been updated, there is no other explanation. double check his firmware, is it 4.0.0.7U?

you'll need to flash the updated bootloader for the 2i to work on 4.0.0.7U/1.44: http://www.acekard.com/download/ak2/ak2ifw_update_3ds4.0_dsi144.zip

-another world

Reactions: 1 person

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Can I try loading the bootloader update software again? Or, will that brick the card because I've already done it once with this version? Please help!"

Yes, you can run the v1.44 update, on the problematic Acekard 2i, without worry. By the way, it doesn't matter if your flash card is inside the DS while it's updating the actual DS. If your friend interrupted an Acekard update, then the AceKard 2i would be bricked.

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
He interrupted the Nintendo update, I'm managing the card for him since he doesn't know the first thing about flash carts. I double checked his firmware on the 3DS and it's 4.0.0.7U, so I don't know why it's not working. I have my DSi and I'll try running the upgrade again. Thanks, another world for the link, I think I have that file but I'll redownload it anyway just to make sure.

I'll edit this post with the update and I'll see if I can do it later today.

UPDATE: The Re-updating the AK2i didn't change the situation. I don't think this will work because it seems unrelated, but I will try backing up the saves and roms, then doing a complete format of the microSD card. It's worth a shot. I'm willing to try anything at this point except buying another cartridge or 3DS.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes updating the 3ds while the acekard2i is in the slot does something to the aceakrd2i I have heard of this before

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
that doesn't make any sense. its not doing anything to the ak2i or that same kit wouldn't work on his 3ds. it must be something related to the 3ds.

i think perhaps the update didn't complete but it is reporting a new version. have him run the system update and see if the 3ds will update fully this time.

-another world

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That may have been what happened, I'll speak to him tomorrow. I'll also try updating my 3DS once I find a save point in Chrono Trigger, and I'll make sure that before I do, I remove the acekard, just to do a few tests. I don't mind running my AK2i on the DSi worst case scenario, that's what I've been doing for what, 3 years now? XD

Thanks everyone for all your help in this.

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I will let everyone know, I'll see my friend this afternoon.

I updated my 3DS successfully to 4.0.0.7 without the AK2i inside it. The AK2i works on my 3DS. I remember seeing on my 3DS during the update "Don't turn off the power" and "make sure your 3DS is fully charged" etc. so I'm really guessing something got corrupted within his update, or the 3DS blocked the cart because it was inside during his update. I'm going to see if his 3DS re-updated successfully later, and I really think this might actually be the issue. If he doesn't have the folders option, there's something wrong for sure with the update.

UPDATE - We got it working for a little bit, and successfully updated the firmware, but then when my friend powered on his 3DS again with the cart inside it's failing to read it. I guess maybe he's just screwed until Nintendo updates the 3DS again and the Acekard team hacks it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr