Hacking Problem formatting a 500GB Lacie Ext HDD

Dueler

OP
Trophies
Website
dueler.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Im sure this has been asked millions of times regarding every possible HDD out there but hey, ive been at this thing for 2 days now and im gonna ask for some help.
Ive done countless HDD's and never come across a drive that just wont enter that green zone where it will be read by the PC and Wii.

This is the process ive done *That i can remember*

Open WBFS manager and try to format drive and get the error *make sure drive is not in use or whatever*
Delete partition.
Format as NTFS.
Set to Primary.
Set to Active *only way WBFS Manager will actually format the drive*
WBFS manager formats the drive to WBFS and i transfer Worms onto it *since its only 0.48GB*
WBFS is happy with the drive.
Plug drive into Wii Slot 0 *bottom of the 2*
Run USB Loader GX.
USB Loader GX Does not recognise or even detect the drive. *pissed off*

I repeat everything except this time formatting to FAT32 first instead of NTFS.
Same end result that the Wii cannot read it even tho WBFS manager runs fine with it.

Ive been using both EASUS Patition Master/Manager and Disk Managment to alter little settings trying to get it to work on both Wii and PC but nothing seems to be working.
Like i said ive done this many times before and would like to get some help before telling the person that they spent money on a drive that isnt compatible..
Im sure it must be but i just cant seem to get it right this time.

bosman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Have you tried just reformatting the drive back to FAT32 and then connecting it to the Wii and start USB loader GX and see if it will recognise it and format it?
Have you tried another version/latest version of USB Loader GX?

Dueler

OP
Trophies
Website
dueler.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Im pretty sure thats what i did to begin with because i already knew WBFS manager is too finicky with drive settings when attempting to format, but hey ill give it another shot.

Dueler

OP
Trophies
Website
dueler.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ok ive done this now.

Format to FAT32 and run in USBloader GX. No Detection.
Format to NTFS "same as above"

Format back to FAT32 with cluster size 64. Detection but USBLoader GX seems to be frozen On the boot screen. Removal of USB at this point triggers USB Loader to enter Find HDD mode.
Format to FAT32 with cluster size 32. "same as above"
Format to FAT32 with cluster size 16. "same as above"
Format back to FAT32 Cluster size 64, format to WBFS then transfer wii game and run on wii. "Same as above"

*And before anyone suggest it, yes i have been trying different USB cables
wink.gif
They arent the issue.

Created 2 partitions both Fat32 then formatted to WBFS. "Same as before"

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
It sounds like you have software that the manufacturer puts on the drive to do backups and is on a different partition like a virtual cd drive.You may need to take the hard drive out of its case and connect it to your comp so you can delete all partitions and then use http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm click on the picture to download the gui fat32.exe. If it is the case you might not be able to delete the virtual cd drive in windows and might need to disconnect your other hard drives and load in an xp or other os disk to delete the partitions and format most likely you will have to format it to NTFS as newer OS dont allow large hard drives to be formatted to FAT32. You can give that a try if you want. I hope it helps

Dueler

OP
Trophies
Website
dueler.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I was thinking it might have something to do with that coble but to be quit honest, since im doing this HDD format for nix i aint gonna go to all that trouble.

From this moment i am completly 100% against all Lacie HDD's.
Ive noticed something crap about them, they are not very friendly when it comes to change.
For example everytime i switch the USB Cable from PC to Wii i need to Turn off the HDD then Turn it back or the Wii cant see it, and windows says its corrupted.
Ive never had to do a reset on ANY harddrive in my life to get it to work.

Anyway ill just tell my mate to buy a proper drive and stop being a cheapo prick.
Thanks for the help anyway guys
smile.gif

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
that might be the housing of the lacie drives, as lacies just use seagate/wd drives the encloser might be incompatible with the wii

plus the wii needs to be able to load the hdd modual cant just switch the cable and expect it to automaticly show up

delvis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dueler said:
Im sure this has been asked millions of times regarding every possible HDD out there but hey, ive been at this thing for 2 days now and im gonna ask for some help.
Ive done countless HDD's and never come across a drive that just wont enter that green zone where it will be read by the PC and Wii.

This is the process ive done *That i can remember*

Open WBFS manager and try to format drive and get the error *make sure drive is not in use or whatever*
Delete partition.
Format as NTFS.
Set to Primary.
Set to Active *only way WBFS Manager will actually format the drive*
WBFS manager formats the drive to WBFS and i transfer Worms onto it *since its only 0.48GB*
WBFS is happy with the drive.
Plug drive into Wii Slot 0 *bottom of the 2*
Run USB Loader GX.
USB Loader GX Does not recognise or even detect the drive. *pissed off*

I repeat everything except this time formatting to FAT32 first instead of NTFS.
Same end result that the Wii cannot read it even tho WBFS manager runs fine with it.

Ive been using both EASUS Patition Master/Manager and Disk Managment to alter little settings trying to get it to work on both Wii and PC but nothing seems to be working.
Like i said ive done this many times before and would like to get some help before telling the person that they spent money on a drive that isnt compatible..
Im sure it must be but i just cant seem to get it right this time.
i had the same problem with the 1T , but then i use a differend usb-cable and it works

try that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ