Prepping a legacy GBA flash cartridge for AKRPG and AK2

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by ROM Troll, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ROM Troll
    OP

ROM Troll GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2008
    United States
    I have EFAs, EZ-Flash III, and a G6 Lite.

For NDS backup use
    If I want to use them similar to SD card storage, can I just format them FAT16 and copy the Acekard firmware(depending on which Acekard it will be used with) on them?

For GBA backup use
    Do I just return them to their default setup as per their manufacturers instructions or is there a way to set them up for GBA backups per Acekard instructions?

For Acekard duel mode
    Is there a way to set them up to run with both the AKRPG and the AK2? Last night, I tried launching backups from a SD card prepped for AK2 on the AKRPG and could not.

Thanks!

2. Sweater Fish Del

Sweater Fish Del GBAtemp Regular

Jul 8, 2006
    United States
    As far as I know you don't need to do anything special to them at all. You be able to *DO* anythying special with them just because also have an Acekard in slot-1, either. They'll still function just the same as ever, but you won't need a nopass card in order to boot them into NDS mode and if you boot them into GBA mode from the Acekard, you can a custom border around the GBA screen using the DS's extra screen space.

The only slot-2 cards that have special support through the Acekard are eWin Expansion Pack and EZ-Flash 3-in-1 (also the EZ-Flash IV maybe).

The AKBBS firmware for the RPG also supports writing GBA ROMs to a Flash Advance cart directly from slot-1 rather than having to use the GBA link port.

In the future, I'd like to see a custom firmware for the RPG that allows you to browse and launch ROMs (preferably GBA as well as DS) from a slot-2 flash cart just like you do from the RPG's own NAND or microSD. I don't think that would require any special formatting of the slot-2 cart, either, though. But it would probably only be possible with a later slot-2 that has DLDI support.

...word is bondage...

3. ROM Troll
    OP

ROM Troll GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2008
    United States
    Nice response Sweater. I just tinkered with my EZ-Flash III and discovered it would be difficult to get it to work with an Acekard in the "manner both you and I envision." On a PC the EZ-Flash III cannot be accessed without the EZ Manager software and everything done to the cartridge is done through the software. I tried adding the AKMENU4.nds file to both the FAST and EZ-Disk(FAT 16) sections and no luck. Nothing happened with the FAST and the EZ-Disk which is the closest thing in the EZ-Flash III to a hard drive responded with the pop-up dialog message, "Cannot Add Nds Homebrew".

On the other hand, my G6 Lite and EFAs should fair better. Both are capable of being recognized as a hard drive without proprietary software(other than their USB drivers) and should behave like a SD card when prepping. There's even a low-level format utility that works with the G6 Lite that may work with the EFA if needed.

AKBBS is probably taking advantage of the EFAs ability to be used as a U-disk so other U-disk capable cartridges may work as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice