Hacking Preloader v0.30 Installer / Removal Tool

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lightyear said:
Ok, yeah....you are right there. The other day when v799 came out I had to copy a new .dol to the root folder...but this is just minor to me. A simple 200k file copy is the least of my worries if I've got everything else loading properly.

Lolz, please tell me what dol you added to the root that is only 200k and you feel is an update to what you previously had. Not to mention, just adding said file to the root would not even update GX when using preloader to autoboot it.

I don't believe you are fully understanding all of this.
tongue.gif

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 4.1U, and look at what I've gotten working with .30 r4
smile.gif
I'm on to creating my own USB GX themes...I've got one done & loaded properly
wink.gif
They should be pretty easy to do now since I've got it figured out
unsure.gif

D34DL1N3R said:
lightyear said:
Ok, yeah....you are right there. The other day when v799 came out I had to copy a new .dol to the root folder...but this is just minor to me. A simple 200k file copy is the least of my worries if I've got everything else loading properly.

Lolz, please tell me what dol you added to the root that is only 200k and you feel is an update to what you previously had. Not to mention, just adding said file to the root would not even update GX when using preloader to autoboot it.

tongue.gif

Ok, look...there is no reason to lay into me because you're jealous of the fact that I've got it up & running & you haven't. And I didn't look at the size of the .dol file...I was merely commenting on how it's a tiny file and copying it from the apps folder to the root when it updates isn't a huge deal to me.

I think you're not understanding me...who gives a crap if the forwarders don't work? Load them from HBC, which you can still access through USB GX. If you're crying about the USB GX forwarder not being auto-bootable...well...you've got nothing better to do, apparently, because who needs it if the whole app dol file runs in autoboot? Just stop being lazy & copy the new updated .dol from your apps folder to your root folder when it occasionally updates....that's the ONLY thing autobooting the full .dol doesn't do. Because it can't overwrite anything on the root.....so you do it yourself.

God people are lazy.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
your still failing to see that a Forwarder ,dol is only a few hundred KB compared to the app .dol which is nearly 3,5MB in size, to me thats NAND space wasted and not needing to mention the constant .dol installs in preloader to keep GX up to date, but it is your choise what you do

sleeepy2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@lightyear
you have no idea what you are talking about.
Copying the file to your root doesn't update anything.
If you want the channel to be updated then you have to go into preloader and re-install it.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lightyear said:
I'm on 4.1U, and look at what I've gotten working with .30 r4
smile.gif
I'm on to creating my own USB GX themes...I've got one done & loaded properly
wink.gif
They should be pretty easy to do now since I've got it figured out
unsure.gif

D34DL1N3R said:
lightyear said:

tongue.gif

Ok, look...there is no reason to lay into me because you're jealous of the fact that I've got it up & running & you haven't. And I didn't look at the size of the .dol file...I was merely commenting on how it's a tiny file and copying it from the apps folder to the root when it updates isn't a huge deal to me.

I think you're not understanding me...who gives a crap if the forwarders don't work? Load them from HBC, which you can still access through USB GX. If you're crying about the USB GX forwarder not being auto-bootable...well...you've got nothing better to do, apparently, because who needs it if the whole app dol file runs in autoboot? Just stop being lazy & copy the new updated .dol from your apps folder to your root folder when it occasionally updates....that's the ONLY thing autobooting the full .dol doesn't do. Because it can't overwrite anything on the root.....so you do it yourself.

God people are lazy.

I don't mean to get into the middle of a flame war here...but you're not understanding what the issue is. The NAND can only take so many writes until it fails so the less writing done to it the better. People use the forwarder for two reasons, a single NAND write and to give the HDD more time to properly initialize upon boot. This isn't a question of anyone being lazy and no one is jealous of the fact that you've "got it up & running" (which you don't). D34DL1N3R and I are fully aware that the dol itself works when installed. The issue is that the forwarder.dol DOESN'T work when installed in preloader. It's kind of silly to call D34DL1N3R jealous when he compiles almost every rev of GX for himself and does quite a bit of testing for it. What do you do?

And all this mess is cluttering up this thread which has nothing to do with GX. Anything more to say on the subject should be said in the GX thread.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
each block of the NAND is likely able to withstand approx 10,000 writes, more than 1 block going bad at roughly the same time is extremely, extremely unlikely, and the NAND has the ability to adjust when a block does go bad.....so it still seems like a little deal...are you planning on writing an autoboot file more than....say....3000 times? maybe 3002 times? the space is really the only issue, not the writes...your sd reader will go bad before your nand is unusable.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lightyear said:

Yup... you most certainly do not fully understand. No one was laying into you, only simple correcting you. And I already told you that copying the dol from the apps folder to the root does NOT run the updated version when you autoboot GX with preloader.

QUOTE(lightyear @ Oct 19 2009, 01:24 PM) I think you're not understanding me...who gives a crap if the forwarders don't work? Load them from HBC, which you can still access through USB GX. If you're crying about the USB GX forwarder not being auto-bootable...well...you've got nothing better to do, apparently, because who needs it if the whole app dol file runs in autoboot? Just stop being lazy & copy the new updated .dol from your apps folder to your root folder when it occasionally updates....that's the ONLY thing autobooting the full .dol doesn't do. Because it can't overwrite anything on the root.....so you do it yourself.

God people are lazy.

Take a chill pill dude! Sheesh!!!
Now off to bed little one, with no supper. Tut-Tut! (pats you on the head)

phpgeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just though that I would pipe in and say that I hope to have r5 out sometime tomorrow. Other than USB support there will also be a new autoboot option. This option is for launching dols anywhere on SD/USB or any installed channel. A seperate ini file will be copied to the nand called "myboot.ini" that will contain the appropriate settings that you can customize to suit.

Examples:

Code:
boot:CHANNEL
data:HADP

The above would autoboot the internet channel on a pal console.

Code:
boot:DOL
data:/apps/myapp/boot.dol

The above would load the dol file located in that path on sd/usb.

In light of recent posts I though this information might calm people down a little
wink.gif

/phpgeek

laurozza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
phpgeek said:
Just though that I would pipe in and say that I hope to have r5 out sometime tomorrow. Other than USB support there will also be a new autoboot option. This option is for launching dols anywhere on SD/USB or any installed channel. A seperate ini file will be copied to the nand called "myboot.ini" that will contain the appropriate settings that you can customize to suit.

Examples:

Code:
boot:CHANNEL
data:HADP

The above would autoboot the internet channel on a pal console.

Code:
boot:DOL
data:/apps/myapp/boot.dol

The above would load the dol file located in that path on sd/usb.

In light of recent posts I though this information might calm people down a little
wink.gif

/phpgeek
Wow, great features!

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0ld8oy said:
for devs and testers NAND writing can become an issue.

10,000 times man....I promise you 99.9% of people are gonna have their sd readers burn out before they have any major problems from them writing to nand. your much more likely to corrupt your nand fs than to exceed the write capacity on the blocks. sure, you may end up being that 0.1%, but that doesn't make it a huge issue for everyone everywhere, and things like SNEEK and triforce will make this an even farther removed problem. the space is the only real issue, and an issue it is, forwarders are nice for preloader, heck i remember the days when only like 15% of apps would load correctly from preloader.

...actually, I'm sorry, make that approx 100,000 write-erase cycles. That's "most flash memory" so NAND may be more or may be less, but not much.

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noobwarrior7 said:
0ld8oy said:

10,000 times man....I promise you 99.9% of people are gonna have their sd readers burn out before they have any major problems from them writing to nand. your much more likely to corrupt your nand fs than to exceed the write capacity on the blocks. sure, you may end up being that 0.1%, but that doesn't make it a huge issue for everyone everywhere, and things like SNEEK and triforce will make this an even farther removed problem. the space is the only real issue, and an issue it is, forwarders are nice for preloader, heck i remember the days when only like 15% of apps would load correctly from preloader.

...actually, I'm sorry, make that approx 100,000 write-erase cycles. That's "most flash memory" so NAND may be more or may be less, but not much.
Agreed....and so you've got to reinstall to the nand again after replacing the dol....and??? If you're really gonna sit there & tell me this is all about not wanting to reinstall & update one file after an app update just because it takes up a few MB, then you've REALLY got nothing better to complain about...really. I can see the new features being cool because for those of us who don't know how to update files & reinstall 'em, etc....but if you know what you're doing & you're complaining about it, then you need a life.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they were just frustrated because you were sidestepping their point and acting like you didnt understand what they wanted. either because you really didnt understand, or it wasnt a big deal to you, it avoided there issue, which phpgeek has since resolved.

and it would be a lot of space to install that to the nand, 3.5 megs is a biggun....I thinks that's approx 25 "wii blocks", If im not mistaken. your sysmenu has a little space reserved for stuff not included in the downloaded titles and saves, but its still good to conserve.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lightyear said:
noobwarrior7 said:
0ld8oy said:

Agreed....and so you've got to reinstall to the nand again after replacing the dol....and??? If you're really gonna sit there & tell me this is all about not wanting to reinstall & update one file after an app update just because it takes up a few MB, then you've REALLY got nothing better to complain about...really. I can see the new features being cool because for those of us who don't know how to update files & reinstall 'em, etc....but if you know what you're doing & you're complaining about it, then you need a life.

Nice lightyear.... Reinstall the NAND? WTF are you talking about? No one is complaining...we are reporting a bug in the app (that will be corrected tomorrow so I really don't see why you're still writing about it...). And who do you think compiles all those GX dols that you're even installing in preloader? You're only mad because you thought you fixed something that you didn't and someone pointed it out to you.

@ noobwarrior7
Anyways, why take the chance? I'm not trying to sit here and debate this with you. Really. I'm just saying, the less you write to your NAND, the less chance of corrupting anything. Can we agree on that?

QUOTE(noobwarrior7 @ Oct 19 2009, 05:09 PM)
I think they were just frustrated because you were sidestepping their point and acting like you didnt understand what they wanted. either because you really didnt understand, or it wasnt a big deal to you, it avoided there issue, which phpgeek has since resolved.

and it would be a lot of space to install that to the nand, 3.5 megs is a biggun....I thinks that's approx 25 "wii blocks", If im not mistaken. your sysmenu has a little space reserved for stuff not included in the downloaded titles and saves, but its still good to conserve.

It didn't exactly avoid our issue. It had nothing to do with it. He loaded the GX dol and that's nice and all but they are two different apps. That forwarder.dol is usable for 100 different apps meaning that it wouldn't work for any of them.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"@ noobwarrior7
Anyways, why take the chance? I'm not trying to sit here and debate this with you. Really. I'm just saying, the less you write to your NAND, the less chance of corrupting anything. Can we agree on that?"

I guess, I mean bad blocks aren't corrupt, so much as dead and unwritable.
If your write corrupts something, its because you app is doing something it shouldnt, writing somewhere it shouldnt.

nevertheless, using the forwarder does exactly what you said, involves significantly less write cycles and uses less space, that is exactly true.

you simply shouldn't overload your argument with things not really relevant just to have a bigger stack of reasons than the other guy and hope they don't understand; educate them instead. irrelevant points that don't really bear any importance don't make your already valid point any more valid, they just make it look like you want to make the other person feel dumb....even if unintentionally.

enough said though, we're letting this drag out into yuck. I still need a preloader that doesnt abort on ticket reading...pretty please?

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noobwarrior7 said:
enough said though, we're letting this drag out into yuck. I still need a preloader that doesnt abort on ticket reading...pretty please?

Which system menu are you on? And is this an issue where you can't get it to install?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.