Hacking pre-PS1 5th gen, PC Engine/PCE-CD and Sega CD and 32X emulation on the DS/DSi?

Megadriver94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure it can be done. The DS has been shown to be able to be capable of FMV, So Sega CD and PC-Engine CD games won't be much of a problem save for the multi-disc games. 32X might take some time. PS1 is barely working on even the DSi, and plus both the PSP and PS Vita have better handling of it. But what about earlier 5th gen stuff like the FM Towns Marty, Amiga CD32, and the 3DO Interactive Multiplayer?

Solution
The DS FMV engines are designed with the DS in mind, this includes homebrew. So no, just because the DS could handle FMvs doesn’t mean it can magically handle anything.

I still remember converting Fawlty Towers and The Young Ones so I could run them on my DS using my massive 1GB CF card.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
PSP was able to run PS1 games because of the similar architecture that made it less strenuous to emulate. Emulation was still done, but to a far lesser degree. It's much like how the DS and 3DS can play GBA games, because the architecture is similar enough (and a few other things thrown in for a mix of native execution and emulation). The Vita can play PS1 games because of it being able to handle PSP games. The DS/i are not only of a completely different architecture from the PSP, but is certainly weaker too. Just because the DS/i can handle things like FMVs doesn't mean it can handle the format used in other games, let alone emulate those entire systems.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
The DS FMV engines are designed with the DS in mind, this includes homebrew. So no, just because the DS could handle FMvs doesn’t mean it can magically handle anything.

I still remember converting Fawlty Towers and The Young Ones so I could run them on my DS using my massive 1GB CF card.

Solution

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill